• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

over pants recomendation

saltyrider

I'm looking for a set of pants that i can just toss on over a pair of shorts or jeans should i decide to take my motorcycle on a short ride or to run errands, got to a doctor's appointment etc. I've done a lot of searching both on this forum and the internet in general. The one piece suits are recommended on here as a great option for what I'm looking to do. I like the notion of the suits but not the pricing. I realize you get what you pay for but 1500 is a lot more than 3-400 for a set of over pants. I have a set of revit pants that i like but they are pretty heavy and can get hot during the summer and require a full wardrobe change before i take the bike out. Id like to have something that can be put on quickly and easily to go for a quick ride. I'd love to hear suggestions from the group , thanks in advance!

Last edited:
I've got about 20 years on my current Aerostich, so that might help the cost calculus a bit. Otherwise, I have some Dainese pants that have vents on the thighs and work great in warmer weather. They zip to my Dainese jacket, but it takes a bit longer to put all that on for a short trip.

It's still hard to beat a 'stich for convenience, so I'll always have one. I commuted in my first one for a couple decades, in and out of Boston. At the current rate, it's cost me <$100/year for this thing and it keeps getting cheaper with every passing month. I got 13 years out of my first one before I passed it along to a new rider without gear. They are long lived, functional and just the thing for short trips.

Not my favorite for touring, but great for just about anything else.

My 2 cents. Your mileage may vary, but a 'stich is long lived, durable and the customer service is absolutely unparalleled.

I would highly recommend the Aerostich Roadcrafter pants from the two-piece suit. Add the zip-on bib top to the pants and you will have exactly the function you are looking for.

Crash Tested Aerostich

I have been wearing Aerostich Road crafter pants for years now. Last October I crash tested them. The well placed padding and construction did a fine job in preventing more injury than I got. Best yet, I am still wearing them when riding. A couple of little tears in the knees don't hurt my fashion sense. Great product! St.

I bought my “stitch “ jacket and pants on the marketplace ten years ago, still going strong. There are several on there right now.

Aerostitch Darien light pants or Klim Induction pants if you want a quality pair of pants for warm summer riding. Both about $400

as expected im getting a lot of positives for the aerostitch products. I've snooped around looking at their website and they show different suits, road crafter, R3, light versions of both and then three versions of each standard, tactical and stealth. The standard, tactical and stealth they describe the differences pretty well but the R3 vs roadcrafter vs light i still have questions. In regards to breathability is there a big difference between the different versions; the R3 says its waterproof, how does it breath?? Between the roadcrafter and the roadcrafter light is there a big difference in slide protection; lighter is always better but i wouldn't want to trade protection for it. Any comments about aerostitch's sizing guide how accurate have folks found it to be? I'm looking around at used suits that are more in my comfort zone price wise and there is one suit on the MOA market place that is one size smaller than the size guide recommends for me that is described as very little use; and local to me there is one that is the exact size aerostitch calls out for me but the seller describes this suit as "broken in and well worn". the exterior looks ok but there is at least one tear on the lining. how generous are the suits, any chance the size 46 suit would fit my size 48 chest??

as expected im getting a lot of positives for the aerostitch products. I've snooped around looking at their website and they show different suits, road crafter, R3, light versions of both and then three versions of each standard, tactical and stealth. The standard, tactical and stealth they describe the differences pretty well but the R3 vs roadcrafter vs light i still have questions. In regards to breathability is there a big difference between the different versions; the R3 says its waterproof, how does it breath?? Between the roadcrafter and the roadcrafter light is there a big difference in slide protection; lighter is always better but i wouldn't want to trade protection for it. Any comments about aerostitch's sizing guide how accurate have folks found it to be? I'm looking around at used suits that are more in my comfort zone price wise and there is one suit on the MOA market place that is one size smaller than the size guide recommends for me that is described as very little use; and local to me there is one that is the exact size aerostitch calls out for me but the seller describes this suit as "broken in and well worn". the exterior looks ok but there is at least one tear on the lining. how generous are the suits, any chance the size 46 suit would fit my size 48 chest??

In terms of breathability and warm weather use - I'd go with the R3 over the Standard Roadcrafter (which has a lining). My current suit has lasted ~150,000 miles and is still waterproof (but I do wash and treat it 2x per year). Also, Aerostich will fix just about anything for a reasonable price - try that with almost any other gear manufacturer. I'd say sizing is pretty accurate - but I'd recommend giving Aerostich a phone call, they have helped fit thousands of riders over the years...

Other than the fear of looking like a pirate and not having 100% protection for your cheeks... Have you thought about or looked at Chaps as an option???

Easy and fast to put on... No wardrobe change needed... Lots of options available...

Other than the fear of looking like a pirate and not having 100% protection for your cheeks... Have you thought about or looked at Chaps as an option???

Easy and fast to put on... No wardrobe change needed... Lots of options available...

And of course no protection for a rear end slide and usually no knee or hip armor. They tend to be about as sensible as handlebar tassles and ape hanger bars - but I am biased. I admit it.

And of course no protection for a rear end slide and usually no knee or hip armor. They tend to be about as sensible as handlebar tassles and ape hanger bars - but I am biased. I admit it.

Kind of my thoughts. No armor and the part you're going to be sliding on is just your pants, not leather.

And I think with chaps, one would look more cowboy than pirate. :D

I went to sea for thirty years, some people think I am a little too salty already…. Honestly I’m looking for the protection, as mentioned chaps leave your backside un protected and no armor makes chaps a non starter for me. Thanks for the suggestion though!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H72DCVD?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

I bought these to replace the overpants from Joe Rocket (Phoenix Ion,) which are no longer offered; they are exaclty like the Joe Rockets. Almost like carbon copies, so to speak. The only issue I had with the Joe Rocket pants was with the zippers separating. The ones I bought on Amazon have steel zippers and not the nylon type, which may last longer.

Sizing for the Amazon ones are close. You may opt to measure with the shorts on (or jeans) to confirm. I wear 36 / 30 and bought the XL / Short. Velcro straps can cinch up belt line if need be.

The price could not be beat!

Good luck.

Just to close this thread out I have to publicly thank ExGman for his generosity. John saw that i was asking about overpants and very graciously sent me at no charge a pair of aerostich AD1 pants that we was no longer using. I tried to pay the shipping but he insisted on paying for that as well. My sincere thanks to him for the pants, if it ever stops raining here in NH i'm looking forward to wearing them on my next ride!

Thanks!

John is a great guy. Knowing John, they are probably as good as new.

OM

I went to sea for thirty years, some people think I am a little too salty already…. Honestly I’m looking for the protection, as mentioned chaps leave your backside un protected and no armor makes chaps a non starter for me. Thanks for the suggestion though!

Understood!! I only mentioned for the ease use, but they do leave your back side rather exposed. Road rash on your cheeks would NOT be fun!!!

Glad you got a solution... and it's awesome that we have MOA members here that are so generous!! It makes me glad I spent the few $$ to become a member. :clap

Back