• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Plastic tank woes

gpearson

Been looking around for a metal tank. My plastic tank doesn't seem to exhibit the usual out gassing problems. However, I do have a small crack at the top where the tank wraps around the triple tree. It's really not an issue unless I fuel up totally. Then it just kind of dribbles a little fuel. I have yet to find a metal replacement tank.

From what I've gathered, nothing will really stick to these tanks as far as lining the inside. I bought some epoxy sealant, but have been advised not to even attempt it.

If I've researched correctly, these tanks are made from some sort of aramid. Is there ANYTHING I can use that will fix a tiny crack?

Maybe try to 'weld' it...use a hot soldering iron to melt the edges of the crack together? If it's on the top there probably wouldn't be much pressure so you just need to close it up. Perhaps there's a something that could be used as a filler, like a welding rod?

Someone on ADVrider may be able to provide some guidance...
http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/r1100gs-fuel-tank-plastic-type.929617/

metal tank swap info:
http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/r1100gs-plastic-tank-dilemma.340419/

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/96924-R1100GS-and-R1150GS-Fuel-Tank

Good Luck - I wonder if they used a different material for the RS & RT tanks of the same era since they don't seem to have the issues.

BMW will gladly sell you a metal tank (primer only) for $1600, but at that point you'd be better off buying a used bike with the tank you want and selling off parts.

or you could go big
http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/224/PN-100-0010/Fuel-Tank-41L-for-R1100GS-R1150GS-Adventure

Last edited:
I wonder if they used a different material for the RS & RT tanks of the same era since they don't seem to have the issues.

Yes they did. The RS tanks are fine and not at all the same. No out gassing, no blistering. Voni's is now 23 years old with no sign of flaws.

Sometimes changing suppliers is stupid.

"Sealant" by itself won't stop the crack from propagating - i.e. you can't just fill the crack with some magic stuff. You could make a soft aluminum outside mounted patch that spans the crack at least say 1 inch beyond the crack limit. It may require the patch to be compound formed but with soft aluminum that shouldn't be that much of a problem for a skilled metal worker or body man.

Then roughen the surface and epoxy in place with a filled slow setting epoxy resin. It may be necessary to also install pop rivets to hold everything in place while the epoxy sets.

A picture would sure help.

You could try PlastiFix. I've used it on the stud that always breaks off on the plastic side triim triangles on the RT. Worked fine. Also used it on a Sena10 when I pulled in to the shop and caught the helmet-mount on a rope loop hanging down from my roll-up door (try to do that again...).

http://stuccu.com/s/Plastifix-MbSLsTI-Buy-Exclusive-Deals-70-OFF-Save-Big-Lowest-Price-On-Plastifix-Best-In-Stock-Fast-Free-Shipping?mt=e&keyword=plastifix&ap=1o3&cid=62425166303&caid=555a39ceb1b1c6281499f3c2&netid=1&network=g&aaid=555a39ceb1b1c6281499f3c4&gclid=CjwKEAjwjca5BRCAyaPGi6_h8m8SJADryPLhw_MXcEBNVoort4UTP-lz1VsXvOZcnyQ0E5I_CusDuBoChUfw_wcB

Stop drilling

On aircraft when we would find cracks in the sheet metal the proper fix in most cases was to stop drill the ends of the crack. You might try drilling a VERY small hole at both ends of the crack then sealing the crack with a fuel proof epoxy or sealer.

The tank here is plastic...guy just had it painted...who knows if it was done in a way that won't bubble, but, at $175, it doesn't seem like a bad deal. Honestly, I don't care if it bubbles as long as it holds fuel. I'll buy one of those tank covers and the bubbles will disappear!

Thoughts?

Thinking this was a metal in the ad as no dents is mentioned.

$175 doesn't sound bad , needs all the parts off yours to complete .

Thinking this was a metal in the ad as no dents is mentioned.

$175 doesn't sound bad , needs all the parts off yours to complete .

Talked to the fella some more. He said he had a guy paint it with what they use on plastic bumpers and also mixed in a flex additive.

Back