• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Olympia Ranger Jacket - On Closeout

daboo

I like to pass on "good deals". This is a pretty decent good deal if you're in the market for a good three to four season jacket. The Olympia Ranger jacket (https://www.cyclegear.com/gear/olympia-ranger-jacket) is on Closeout both at Revzilla and Cycle Gear. At $195, it is a steal.

Years ago, I picked up an Olympia AST2 jacket on closeout. I really really like the jacket. I almost wish it would have some major unrepairable flaw show up so I could justify buying the Ranger jacket before they are all gone. But it wears well and like the Energizer Bunny, just keeps going.

The Olympia AST2 seems identical to the Ranger. IMHO, it seemed like Olympia took the AST2...changed the name...and priced it more than before at $300. Now the Ranger is being discontinued and the chance for an awesome jacket at a significantly reduced price is there.

What do I like about the jacket(s)?

• The venting. The jacket has a waterproof and breathable liner built into it. Unlike some jackets where the vents bring air in the space between the jacket outer shell and the waterproof liner, this jacket has vents that bring air in all the way to your body. The result is some really decent airflow directly to your body.
  • It's waterproof. Over the years I've had it, the only place I get any water in, is at the arm vents. And that's only when riding for extended periods of time in a lot of rain. When that happens, I put on a waterproof windbreaker under the outer shell and I'm totally dry. I think it would be hard to make any jacket 100% waterproof and have the excellent venting system this jacket has.
  • The materials are really heavy duty. There's none of the el-cheapo and questionable proprietary polyester fibers on the outer shell. It's 600d and 2000d Cordura.
  • There's the normal elbow and shoulder pads...plus an actual CE rated back pad...not just a piece of cheap foam.
  • The design features show it was designed by motorcyclists for motorcyclists. Things like the collar being soft and just high enough to fit under your helmet without letting cold air in. Yet if you need the ventilation, you can open it up easily too.
  • There's a quilted liner that can be used as a standalone jacket.

If you're thinking of getting a jacket for all but the hottest weather, this jacket will meet your needs. Even at the full $300, it was a good choice and I think stacks up nicely against the pricier brands like Klim. Klim doesn't even give you a jacket liner of any sort for the price they charge.

Oh...and their customer service is outstanding. I've broken off a couple zipper pulls and a snap. It was my fault totally on the snap, and I was willing to pay to get a new snap. Nope. They've sent me replacement parts with no questions asked and at no cost to me.

When...and if...my AST2 dies, I'll be looking for another just like the Ranger from Olympia. I don't think you could go wrong with these. And by the way, if you're a military vet, Cycle Gear will give you an additional ten percent off the price.

Chris

I'm glad it worked for you. :)

I am so tempted to get the Ranger jacket anyway. I just have this feeling that right after they run out of my size...something like the main zipper on my AST2 will fail. And then I'll be paying over $300 for whatever is the current replacement. :banghead

Chris

:doh
Out of stock for my choice. Need a new red one.
Have had great performance from Olympia gear thru many seasons.
Thanks for the heads up anyways:wave

Revzilla had some in Red still. The BMW "Patriot" color still has almost all the sizes.

RevZilla.jpg

Chris

White anything lasts about ten minutes with me :banghead My Dayglo yellow I wore on our 2015 9K summer run was not a pristine garment long!
Bugs, road grime, mustard, chili...:D

H found a red one for me last night I think

I ordered mine a few minutes ago.

In looking at the Ranger on Revzilla's web page, I think the AST2 is still the better jacket...but it hasn't been in production for years now. The AST2 has more hi-vis colour and there are two very large reflective patches on the neck and back on the AST2 that aren't there on the Ranger. But since I wear an air-bag vest, it has a lot of reflective material on it and covers one of those reflective patches on the AST2 anyway.

Chris

Back