• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Mesh vs closed textile jacket Airflow.

Agreed. It seems counter-intuitive, but at 94 and above, the mesh gear is worse for you.

I'm heading down to Utah in June, then up through Colorado on a 13 day trip with some others from the Seattle area. From what I can tell, temps will hit that point. I'll probably bring both jackets, mesh and an Olympia AST2 with good venting.

Chris

I have been seriously looking at the Olympia gear and saw a great review on the AST gear and from what I see on their website, it is no longer available. Do you know what they replaced it with? Olympia seems to have put together some great packages using the real Cordura fabric. They even have a One Peice suite called the Odyssey which seems to compete with Aerostich products for a lot less money. I have not actually gone out to a dealer that carries the products but the look good on the net and so the the reviews.

There are times when the hummugity (heat and humidity) is just so awful mesh is the only thing that keeps me borderline comfy. I read the Iron Butt Assoc articles and wore my Stich across the midwest. Once. It was okay as long as I was moving (though the wind protection on the GSA was such that I took turns sticking my arms forward to get wind flowing through the sleeves), but as luck would have it there was a major accident on one of the US Highways that completely blocked traffic in both directions. There was no turning around as LEOs were keeping that lane open for emergency vehicles. After that absolutely miserable experience I kept the Stich for commuting and bought a jacket with vents all over the place.

I have been seriously looking at the Olympia gear and saw a great review on the AST gear and from what I see on their website, it is no longer available. Do you know what they replaced it with? Olympia seems to have put together some great packages using the real Cordura fabric. They even have a One Peice suite called the Odyssey which seems to compete with Aerostich products for a lot less money. I have not actually gone out to a dealer that carries the products but the look good on the net and so the the reviews.
It looks like they replaced it with the Ranger Vent Tech jacket.
https://olympiamotosports.com/en-US/products/men/jackets/ranger-l-neon-yellow

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/olympia-ranger-jacket

Olympia has both improved the jacket line and broadened it as well. Besides the Ranger jacket, the Dakar2 jacket could easily be the only jacket you need, depending on where and when you ride. The Dakar 2 jacket has large mesh panels though that you can't block off in winter. All you can do, is wear one of the liners underneath. If you live in southern California though, that might be an advantage.

What I saw in the AST2, is a lot of attention to detail and thoughtfulness. A lot of the features that they've added are simply based on the owner and designer being a motorcycle rider and listening to his customers. The armor seems upgraded from others. For instance there's an actual back protector included, not just a worthless foam pad. Cuffs and the color are well done. The venting is superb. Virtually all the other jackets in that price range when I bought the AST2 had venting...but it vented into a space between the outer shell and the inner waterproof liner. I can't imagine much got inside to your skin. The vents are designed to vent directly to your skin and they've used waterproof zippers to keep the jacket waterproof. Since I bought my AST2 several years ago, my rain jacket stays hanging up in the garage gathering dust. I just don't use it...and I ride year around in Seattle. The other nice thing they did with the vents, is they are designed so they have a flap that acts as a scoop to bring air in. It's a nice touch.

I think other companies are starting to include some of these features in their product lines too. But Olympia kind of led the way to bridge that gap between a medium priced jacket and the high priced jackets that don't have much difference in features.

I had a zipper pull break on my jacket after a lot of daily use. I really wasn't surprised. I wrote to them, and got a reply...from the owner of the company. I had two new zipper pulls shipped in the next day's mail.

Chris

I have the new Ranger jacket from Olympia. Which did replace the AST. Rode several months in cold weather this past year, a small amount of rain. The liner it comes with is outstanding. Actually looks like a nice jacket so wearing it off the bike looks "normal". But the insulation they use is really good and it seals up well. I rode in 48 degrees for a couple hours and did not feel any need for heated gear. I suspect the built in hood ( goes UNDER your helmet ) would be priceless in all day rain events and very cold weather. Fit and finish on this jacket is very, very good. I would like a larger zipper on the front, but I have no reason other than it is smaller than Aerostich or Motoport gear. It also has really good snaps which would help the zipper out. It does vent well for this type of gear. But it isn't mesh and the arms will get that icky feeling as temps rise. I can ride in it ok up to 85 degrees as long as I am moving. I will be selling one of my Aerostich one piece Roadcrafters now. The Olympia jacket and pants are simply better for cold weather use ( and I have not gotten wet in it so far....).

I use a Roadcrafter jacket year round. Works for me and this is why:

http://www.ironbutt.com/ibmagazine/IronButt_1002_62-66_Hot.pdf

Thank you for the article, it was very informative. From my own experience, while riding with a tee shirt at higher temps that I actually thought was just too hot to ride because I wasn't even sweating. Now I have a better understanding as to why I felt that way.
So I have to ask, do you have the one piece or the jacket and pants? How is the venting while riding your R12RT? it is not like you have a ton of wind hitting you. I am assuming that the vents are catching air? Do you utilize any type of Cooling gear? Vest, shirt, etc?

I have the new Ranger jacket from Olympia. Which did replace the AST. Rode several months in cold weather this past year, a small amount of rain. The liner it comes with is outstanding. Actually looks like a nice jacket so wearing it off the bike looks "normal". But the insulation they use is really good and it seals up well. I rode in 48 degrees for a couple hours and did not feel any need for heated gear. I suspect the built in hood ( goes UNDER your helmet ) would be priceless in all day rain events and very cold weather. Fit and finish on this jacket is very, very good. I would like a larger zipper on the front, but I have no reason other than it is smaller than Aerostich or Motoport gear. It also has really good snaps which would help the zipper out. It does vent well for this type of gear. But it isn't mesh and the arms will get that icky feeling as temps rise. I can ride in it ok up to 85 degrees as long as I am moving. I will be selling one of my Aerostich one piece Roadcrafters now. The Olympia jacket and pants are simply better for cold weather use ( and I have not gotten wet in it so far....).

I am glad to hear that you really like the Ranger Jacket. It is one of the strong contenders of my next jacket. (that and the Aerostich roadcrafter) I have to ask, what is it about the Aerostich One Peice Roadcrafter that has put it out of favor? Too Warm? only One Piece? Venting? Size? Looks? Not as good protection as the Olympia Gear?

I am glad to hear that you really like the Ranger Jacket. It is one of the strong contenders of my next jacket. (that and the Aerostich roadcrafter) I have to ask, what is it about the Aerostich One Peice Roadcrafter that has put it out of favor? Too Warm? only One Piece? Venting? Size? Looks? Not as good protection as the Olympia Gear?

I have both the classic Roadcrafter one piece and the newer lightweight version one piece Roadcrafter. The classic has the older style zippers. I have used the Aerostich sold sealer on them twice. I get wet in it every time I ride in rain for over 30 minutes. The newer Roadcrafter has the newer zippers and they are much better. Still, neither has the fold over built in flap of the Ranger to keep rain away from the zipper. One of those things Aerostich needs to upgrade to. I like a one piece just fine, but the versatility of having a decent vented jacket zipped to either the Ranger pants or Airglide pants doubles the usefulness of the Olympia gear. The Olympia has a membrane liner, not goretex like Aerostich but similar, and it has a coating on the exterior as well. Rode one time in the rain for about two hours and it was perfectly dry. I wanted out of the Aerostich Roadcrafter by 75 degrees, but with the mesh pants I can use the Ranger jacket up to 90 if moving. The olympia gear looks good, maybe better than the Aerostich. But I wear Motoport mesh most of the time so you know I don't care too much about looks!

All that said, I think the R3 Aerostich in regular or lighter version is more versatile than the original lined "classic". Mine is easier to pack and about 10 degrees better in warmer weather. Still have issues with legs getting too hot.

The liners that come with the Ranger jacket, and the ones from the Ranger pants, are simply outstanding products. Should be available by themselves!

The liners that come with the Ranger jacket, and the ones from the Ranger pants, are simply outstanding products. Should be available by themselves![/QUOTE]

Thank you for the info, I am definately taking a ride to a local Olympia Dealer or a somewhat local branch of Revzilla in Philadelphia and physically seeing the apparel first hand. Now I at least know what I am looking for.

Back