• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

O2 sensor replacement?

alke46

Hi guys, I had my '01 R1100R in for some check up work this past week and when I picked it up yesterday I was told that the O2 sensor caused a code to trip that it needed to be reset. The guy said he reset it 3 times and it still comes back with the code showing something wrong.

My question is this: Did I damage the sensor when I ran it while the catalytic converter was overheated?

I had a misfiring plug that caused it to run extremely hot at one point and I know the converter was way too hot. This was something that happened when I was a few miles from home and in my attempt to get it back home, the converter was getting so hot that I could feel the heat coming off it through my left boot. That was in the cooler month of October.
Also the gas mileage is only in the mid 30's. (35-37 mpg)

Thanks in advance.

O2 sensors do sometimes fail, but I don't know if over-heating can cause it.
Considering they have zirconia and platinum inside, and their job is to produce a voltage related to oxygen ratios, I guess over-heating could damage it.

The MAX fiche shows these buggers at $366... there's probably an automotive equivalent for a bunch less...
Beemer Boneyard shows a "universal" for $79 but I don't see a guarantee that it's for any particular bike...

I did see one listed for multiple models at $59. I thought that was from the boneyard.

I figured if mine kept triggering a code 3 times it must be ready to be replaced.

I also still have a small amount of surging that annoys me a little. Would like to get it cured.

FWIW- in cars I have found a lot more life in an OEM O2 sensor. Really short and problematic in Fords.

OM

In my Camry, the #2 sensor - the most difficult one to reach, of course - died before 70,000 miles.

I replaced both on my 2011 R bike at 50k miles with NTK's from euromotoelectrics. Checked output with GS911, worked fine and have been for last 15k miles.

Got the new O2 sensor from euromotoelectrics and my biggest concern is with the size or gauge of the wiring.

The OEM sensor wires are 18 gauge but the newer sensor's wires are 20 gauge.

Is this workable or do I have to try to return the new sensor because the wire size is too small?

Thanks for looking.

The sensors I purchased had an OEM compatible plug end. As long as you purchased the correct sensor's I do not see why wire gauge would be an issue. I take it that the replacement sensors do not have plugs?

20 AWG is fine for an O2 sensor. It works off of a voltage reading (I forget if it's 0-1 V or 0-5 V), not current.
This means the current draw is minimal (a few milliamps). It could probably get away with half that size wire.

The sensors I purchased had an OEM compatible plug end. As long as you purchased the correct sensor's I do not see why wire gauge would be an issue. I take it that the replacement sensors do not have plugs?

Yes, the purchased sensor came with the plug end that will join the two sets of wires.

20 AWG is fine for an O2 sensor. It works off of a voltage reading (I forget if it's 0-1 V or 0-5 V), not current.
This means the current draw is minimal (a few milliamps). It could probably get away with half that size wire.

Thanks for confirming this. Just wanted to be sure before proceeding.

Back