• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Oil Sensor installation - 2001 R1100R

eleven

Help needed with getting to and tightening an Oil Sensor on a 2001 R1100R with 7500 miles. The Oil Sensor 19 mm nut was loose and causing a substantial oil leak when under pressure. I may need to replace it but wanted to try tightening it first. Just can’t get an open ended wrench or socket in the area it’s located. The manual shows it needs to be tightened to 30 NM. Prior to the oil leak the bike was stalling and running rough at startup for the 1st minute or so then it would level out and run somewhat ok. This started after installation of a Hall Sensor and AF XIED. This leak was noticed after pickup from a mechanic who couldn’t identify the cause of the idle issue after trouble shooting. Could this possibly be the cause of my idle problem (a loose or bad sensor)?

Last edited:
My guess would be to use a 19mm oxygen sensor socket on a wobble or U-joint extension.

If length of the socket is the problem, you could try a 19mm offset crow's foot wrench on the end of your torque wrench but you'll have to do some math to make sure you don't over-torque the sensor. The additional length will increase the amount of torque applied, so you have to set the torque wrench to a number under your target torque.

Cut a slot in the end of a 19mm 12pt box end wrench with a zip disc - enough to fit the wire thru.
Snug up the crush washer to stop the leak.

Thanks for the response. I cut a slot out of a 19mm box wrench and used a torque wrench attachment and it worked just fine.

Back