• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New sidecarist: first impressions

glenfiddich

TravelsWithBarley.com
Mostly cross-posted from ADVRider, but it's a Beemer tug so belongs here as well.

Got the wife up at 4:30 Saturday morning, bundled her into the car, pressed a cappuccino into her hands and set off for Lake George.

I've ridden motorcycles for 40 years, but never tried a hack. I had heard it was a completely different riding experience. I ride solo a lot, and while the riding part is exhilerating the solo camping thing bores me out of my mind! So I'd long thought of going hack in order to take one of my golden retrievers with me. (The Wife isn't into camping, and the dogs snuggle better anyway.)

Last year at the Johnson City TN rally I saw a yellow 07 R1200GS with a matching Hannigan dual sport sidecar on it. Instant salivation factor! I like the bike -- I have the same year and model -- and the way the tug and tub went together was beyond cool!

Well, it turned out Dave Hannigan was thinking of selling that rig when I called this year looking for options; I immediately called Dibs! That's the rig my wife and I were driving to Lake George to buy on the last day of Americade.

It turned out to be even prettier than I remembered it. After doing the paperwork with Ruth Ann, my wife and I followed Dave to a mostly empty parking lot for my first ever ride on a hack. After thirty minutes of practicing turns, figuring out the point at which the hack would come off the ground in a right hand turn, doing a few hard stops, etc I was ready to go.

Sort of.

I was pretty nervous as I set out for home in a soaking rain. Face it, riding a sidecar rig is completely different than riding a motorcycle. My wife followed in the car, running interference so I didn't have to worry about tailgaters. The first few miles were tentative, like learning to dance with a new partner, and I was acutely aware of the few cars backed up behind my wife as I did 35 in a 45 zone. There was a new rhythm to adopt, and I wasn't going to be rushed (though it would have been nice if I'd found a pullout or two along the way).

"Steering is different" is what sidecarists told me. That was a bit of an understatement. I was prepared for the need to avoid countersteering, but the steering effort needed was considerably more than anticipated. After four decades of effortlessly carving up the roads, where countersteering or even just a gentle nudge of the knee or slight shift of weight were enough to initiate a change in direction, making a sidecar rig go where I wanted to go seemed like a LOT of work! I'll have to work on the chest and shoulders next time I visit the gym.

"It will pull to one side or the other depending on whether you're accelerating or decelerating" was another fundamental truth. Being forewarned, I expected this while rolling on or braking. But it was noticable even when shifting gears, a funny little wiggle with every shift. Nothing bad, just a little something to roll into my perception of the new normal.

Some things that surprised me, but shouldn't have. With all the rain, there were several puddles on the roads. When the sidecar tire hits a puddle, it pulls the rig that direction. The ride is also bumpier with a hack. I'm used to standing on the pegs and using subtle shifts of balance to avoid rough sections; now I have an outrigger to worry about. But the biggest challenge for me...

Sidecars add a bit of width to a bike.

I'm one of those riders who like to use my entire lane. I will move left or right to make myself more visible to cagers at intersections, to see around a curve, or just to see what things look like over there. There were a couple of times I came very close to trimming the weeds at the side of the road; must be more aware of my new dimensions. In fact, that very thing caused me a slight bit of damage today. After riding rural, less traveled roads from Lake George back to Stowe VT and covering about 120 miles trouble free, I swung wide at an intersection in the middle of town and the hack wheel kissed the granite curb. I barely felt it, but it was enough to scrape the rim a bit and to remind me that there are a few more feet to the right of me than I'm used to.

Must work on remembering that.

So here I am, safe and sound after my first ride. There's a pair of 07 GSes tucked in the garage, one of them a hack rig that will let me share the joy with my dogs.

Oh yeah, and the wife. :thumb

Attachments

• BarleyInHack.jpg
    BarleyInHack.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 234
As for turning wide...while out for a ride with my first rig ('77 GL1000/California), I rode in to the village looking OH so COOOL! At the main intersection (the only traffic light), I turned right, strait into the curb, The rig lurched, and I almost flipped. Hero to zero in nothing flat.
As for the extra stregh required for turning, you might want to look into reducing the front end rake. I think it can be done fairly easily with the telelever front ends.

Beauty rig...have fun

yeah that width thing got me too

Last year at the GA Mtn rally, my wife was tired of driving the rig, so i said that i would.... well i went to turn around into a parking space, and couldn't figure out why she was screaming at me. Until i felt the sidecare wheel well bump a parked car tire. :banghead

Granted, it's her rig, so i don't drive it very often; but you should have seen the old guys on the hill laughing as my wife CHEWED me out. :hungover

Dave just answered a poster regarding leading link front end. His comment included this...

'...the Telelever can be converted to sidecar trail by replacing the lower ball joint bridge.'

This should help with the steering effort.

regards

Leading Link

I've never ridden a rig equipped with Telelever, so can't comment. . .

BUT, I rode my Honda GL1100/Watsonian rig for a few weeks with stock front forks before buying a Unit Fork (Leading Link, Koni Shocks), and this set-up is now "power-steering" versus "I need to be Ah-nold" in turns. Amazing difference, and this one (spendy) addition to any rig with conventional front forks is transformative of the entire experience. Plus, I pump up the rear air-shocks to the max, and this thing handles like a sports-car with rack-and-pinion, and VERY light steering forces in turns.

Regular front forks aren't made for sidecar use, unless you always go in a straight line. Drifting a rig through linked turns is a little slice o' heaven. . .

Walking Eagle

R1100RS - MoonBeamer
'80 GL1100 Naked w/ Watsonian - Old Son

Yup. Changing to a different lower fork bridge repositions the fork tubes in relation to the steering axis. (the ball joint is the steering axis on a Telelever fork)

The idea is to push the axle forward an inch or two to reposition the tire contact patch closer to the steering axis. Result: easier steering, more predictable cornering.

I don't know whether there is a stock BMW part that will work, or if a new custom bridge must be obtained. The folks in the know include DMC in Enumclaw, WA.

pmdave

I don't know whether there is a stock BMW part that will work, or if a new custom bridge must be obtained.
The folks in the know include DMC in Enumclaw, WA. pmdave

Jay @ Dauntless, now known a DMC makes them...
He does for the R1200C as I have this mod on mine.

Steering is effortless and I have no need for a damper.
It is not cheap either.

Take a look here for ball joint mounts...

Back