• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

New shift lever bearing install

snitzler

1983 R65, I am replacing a really worn shift lever with the new style shift lever with the bearing. Problem is the part of the shift lever that takes the bearing is .794" wide and the bearing is .627 wide. If I press in the bearing there will be gap at one end or the other. Do I just press in the bearing with an equal gap at each end or one side or the other. Confused....
thanks

IMG_9327.jpg

Welcome to the forum! I'm guessing that the current bearing is flush on either side of the shift lever. What part number did you get for this? The fiche says the bearing is 12x18x16 and part number 23131238422. It appears to be used on a wide range of models.

Welcome to the forum! I'm guessing that the current bearing is flush on either side of the shift lever. What part number did you get for this? The fiche says the bearing is 12x18x16 and part number 23131238422. It appears to be used on a wide range of models.

Well if I have the numbers correct that bearing part has: ID = 12mm, OD = 18mm and a length of 16mm.

The length cited in the original post was .627 inch which = 15.92mm.

Accounting for any rounding it looks to me that the measured length of the bearing is the 16mm as found in the parts list description.

So I would heat the part the bearing goes into, freeze the bearing, and center it in place.

I thought the same as for dimensions. What does the original bearing look like installed?

The shift levers on G/S and ST bikes used an o-ring on both ends of the bearing, which helps a lot at keeping grease in and keeping dirt and water out. I’d center the bearing as Paul suggested and see if a suitable o-ring can be sourced and fitted.

Best,
DeVern

Sorry ,will use metric next time. The p/n for the bearing is 23131238422. I like the idea about heat and cold and centering the bearing for O rings. I have SAE and metric O ring kits so I should be able to find something that works. Will report back when I get the bearing installed. Thanks all, this is my first Beemer. My last restoration was a 250 Ducati.

shiftside.jpg

Success, bearing into the freezer and hit the shift lever with a heat gun. Pressed the bearing in and got it roughly centered. I have an o ring kit and found some good fits. Will have to try the different o rings on final fit up.

IMG_9734.JPG

Back