• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New Old Member #71893 Re-Intro

sjp3003

BMWGreetings MOA Members,

After an 8 year hiatus from having a beemer in my garage, I'm happy to say I'm (almost) back in a German saddle today after having provided a deposit on a red 2016 April production S1000XR with Touring and Dynamic Packages, handguards and saddlebags. Having become a lifetime MOA member in the 1990's I have kept up with BMW's evolving R, K and S lines through BMW ON, but I sold my last beemer in 2007.

A brief history of my flirtations with the blue and white roundel: My first streetbike was a beemer K75S, to this day one of the smoothest bikes I've ever ridden. As fortune would have it, a few years later I managed the local BMW auto distributor in the Dominican Republic. Being a motohead, I imported two first-year F650s even though we did not have the motorcycle franchise. Work took me to Central America where I became smitten with the R1150GS as soon as it was released. I bought mine in Manhattan between meetings on a business trip and shipped it by plane to El Salvador, only to have US customs officials insist I ship it back to have it properly inspected before being re-exported to me (frustrating story but eventually it arrived).

Work then took me to Colombia and I bought a demo R1100S from the dealer before I even had a place to live. While there I bought a small townhouse in Miami for R&R breaks and promptly stuffed a K1200LT in the garage on which I toured in FL and the southeast. My SO and I took several riding vacations during those years, touring the Alps, northern Spain, Southern Spain and South Africa by beemers. Eventually I moved to Miami and sold the LT, replacing it with a white and blue K1200RS. It was a fun bike but I decided to exchange it for an HD FLHTCU for two up touring, and a KTM 950 for solo rides.

What goes around comes around,and in 2013 I returned to the Dominican Republic where I first began riding beemers. My initial stable however, began with a KTM 1190 Adventure and my current Husky 650, two bikes appropriate for our not-so-great roads. By chance a rider showed up in December very eager to buy my KTM, and I sold it. A few days ago I was looking to get another liter plus bike and had settled on the Duc Multistrada. The local Duc dealer provided a decent quote on a MultiStrada, but follow up on the sale was null. The beemer crew was the opposite: attentive and knowledgeable, so now I have come around full circle. Right back where I started: with a sport touring BMW in the middle of the Caribbean. Life is good and I look forward to learning once again from other BMW forum members.

Last edited:
Welcome to the group. That is quite a story! What brings you back to the DR? I'm guessing it's work related but from all your travels through time and places perhaps it's more like an eventual retirement spot.

Enjoy the folks and knowledge of the forum. I'm sure we'll read more about you and your adventures. Looking forward to it.

Welcome Back

Great introduction, you've had a great ride and it sounds like your newest one will be great also. Post a pic of your bike once it arrives.

Thanks for being a member.

Finally I got my bike late Friday afternoon after what seemed like an interminable wait, the worst part being the last 5 weeks with the bike in customs (a change of customs agent and a delayed bill of lading complicated the process). My wife is relieved my boxes of farkles have disappeared from our dining room and their contents are duly mounted on the new bike: Corbin saddle, Remus exhaust, bar risers, front and rear fender extenders, crash bars, radiator protectos, fork sliders, widened kickstand base , gps, and a taller windscreen.

I glued myself to the saddle yesterday, from 7:30 am to noon heading from Santo Domingo to the central mountains and back. First impressions:

The Overwhelming Positives

- Linear acceleration, excellent brakes, handles well in mountain curves.
- It will take a while for me to get figure out the expanded limits afforded by the bike's electronics which definitely affod greater safety and push the limits.
- it is very cool to accelerate without letting off the throttle and without the clutch...it sounds like an F1 screaming through the gears.
- the Remus exhaust sounds nice at higher revs (looks great too in carbon fiber)
- the tall windscreen is a must for me (6'0") at higher speeds. What a difference between low position and high in terms of buffeting

The Negatives

- the gear shift feel is a bit clunky compared to the best conventional shifters I've had
- Torque is adequate but coming from twins it does not have the low end grunt I'd gotten used to (once it screams, the high end hp more than makes up for this)
- this bike chugs fuel...I fueled twice as much as I would have on my former Adv 1190

I'm very happy with the bike. I can't wait to complete this first 1000kms to unleash the final 3000rpm of rev range.

Steve

PS: I felt no handlebar buzz...not sure if the factory has implemented a correction. And yes am back in the DR thanks to work, but Also personal reasons as I am from here.

Back