• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Need a reminder - New valve covers = new gaskets?

ceebee

Registered Airhead
Hey y'all!

Haven't really played with putting on new covers before, but did replace gaskets on my last airhead maybe 6 years ago so I'm fuzzy.

I'm replacing the PO's covers as they're scratched to hell and I found a good deal on a brand new set through a friend. The questions/comments:

• If you put on new covers, do you always need to put on new gaskets? I cannot comment on how flat or warped the current heads or covers are.
  • I'm remembering there's the OEM regular heat activated gaskets vs. silicone ones (I'm remembering they're a pain and you only get them if you've got a warped join?). The current ones are the regular heat-activated - no clue if my heads are warped and I should get silicone - obviously (hopefully) brand new ones are flat.
  • Do people use sealer of any kind? I'm hazily remembering dry application vs. black silicon high temp gasket sealer vs. just slick it with a dab of oil (that is, if I need new gaskets at all)

Thank you!

Number one, do not use sealant. Number two, go ahead and put the valve covers on. If they don’t leak you were good. If they do leak get new gaskets.

Number one, do not use sealant. Number two, go ahead and put the valve covers on. If they don’t leak you were good. If they do leak get new gaskets.

1. That was my memory so good to hear - easier on and many years later easier off
2. I'll do just that and made sense as the simplest plan.

Thank you for the reply!

Valve covers are “handed” so look for the markings to get them on the correct side of the motor. If they angle up on the front, you have them on upside down.

Careful with the center stud - it’s easy to strip them and kick off a whole cascade of unpleasantness

What Dave said. Applies only to 77 and newer style covers that don't look like "peanuts". difference in them is left side to right side, Not all valve covers are marked L and R, so don't get frustrated if you can't find the mark.

gaskets

Not to stir things up but, I and my friend in his shop have noticed the valve cover gaskets on the market now seem to be prone to leaking when installed new. I myself have noticed they don't last nearly as long as the old ones did.

On my RT, I had to replace a set 30K ago when they cracked apart into two pieces, the "new" ones I replaced them with lasted 15K and again split. Both sets leaked the first day installed, so, I did apply a very light coating of sealer. That solved the problem.

I just installed a new set on my other RS dry and one side is leaking. This time I just ordered a pair of silicone gaskets.

No, there is no apparent damage or reason for them to leak, covers are clean, smooth as well as the heads. Only in the last four years has this been a problem. If it was just me with the problem I would say I am doing something wrong. My friend in the air head shop also finds the "new" versions leak every time and is applying a thin layer of sealer. St.

No, there is no apparent damage or reason for them to leak, covers are clean, smooth as well as the heads. Only in the last four years has this been a problem. If it was just me with the problem I would say I am doing something wrong. My friend in the air head shop also finds the "new" versions leak every time and is applying a thin layer of sealer. St.

Which side gets the thin layer: head side, cover side, or both?

Will keep that in mind.

I'll be slapping them on tomorrow morning with some pans under them to see what happens - I've got new gaskets just incase but have been running the current ones no problem since I installed them ~5 years ago.

Back