• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Water in Valve Cover? - '82 R65

curtb

This is a new bike to me and my first airhead. Only a couple of weeks in.

I noticed a noise after turning the bike off on the right cylinder that sounded like water boiling off in an aluminum pan. I haven't gotten to adjusting the valves, yet, so I pulled off the valve cover (there was no nut or stud in the center!!??) and I swear the drip pan caught water in with the oil. I'm assuming that when I hosed the bike off that the lack of a nut & stud allowed water to get in. Does that make sense? Any other explanations?

I have nut, stud, and gaskets on the way...

If the stud and nut are missing there’s a very good chance the threads in the head are stripped, so be ready to source a helicoil or TimeSert for that repair. And don’t forget the washer that goes under the nut.

If the bike had just been washed or was stored outside, it’s common for wash water or rainwater to pool in the recess directly above the stud and where the head and valve cover meet. If the bike is started and ridden immediately after a wash or rain you may hear that water boiling off when the bike is parked. No worries!

Best,
DeVern

Last edited:
You did say you had just hosed the bike off. Likely there was water pooled on the top side of the engine fins and it was just boiling due to engine heat. If water actually got inside the valve cover, that suggests that your valve cover is cracked or isn't sealing. If you pull the valve cover and see a milky solution, that is oil in the water. That will make its way to the sump and you should consider changing oil soon.

Wash

As said water will collect on the outside top of the cover/head after washing or rain. As long as you don't have chocolate milk oil running into the pan, you should be fine.

Try a new stud, nut and washer first before making a repair, you might get lucky and not need the heli coil. But be prepared to repair, a lost nut and washer is an occasional thing for airheads, but a missing stud is not. Good luck, St.

Back