• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Nav VI Software Update enables music from bluetooth phone

tmac99

There is a new software load available from Garmin for the Nav VI that allows you to use your phone as a music source on BMWs even when they have the BMW audio system. I just tried it out and it works as advertised. You can now control your phone through the Music interface on the Nav VI. This is listed on the Garmin site as working for both K and R bikes. I tested it on a 2017 R1200RT.

Nav 6 compared to 590LM

The Nav 6 has a slicker screen, and it is more view-able in sunlight, partly the screen and partly the enclosure designed to hold it on the '18RT (see below)

leftDash_14oct17.jpg

I also have a 590LM that I use on my '12RT, with the Wunderlich bracket on the dashboard. Course, the '18RT has the Nav 6 incorporated into the dashboard design which is more protective, more view-able, and better looking. The ability to enable the wonder wheel to control certain aspects of the Nav 6 is also attractive. What is disappointing is the lack of a split screen option. I use a VIRB video (Garmin's video camera) whichs slaves to the Nav 6 and 590LM, and I can bring up a sub-menu on the right in split screen that has the on/off/take picture controls for the Virb. The Nav 6 does not have this option so if you want the VIRB control screen up, that is all you see, so you can't view the map unless you want to navigate back to that screen. On the 590LM (595LM Also) you can view the map and control the VIRB (or your phone, or weather, or any other app on the 590LM, in split screen mode). I queried Garmin on this and they did confirm the Nav 6 doesn't have this ability but that it might in a software upgrade. It sounds like BMW will have to kick in for them to upgrade it. I'm disappointed it didn't already have this capability since the 590LM has it, which I've owned for 3-4 years now.

keywest2016June_0044.jpg

Scott

Back