• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

My review on the A*'s Valparaiso Drystar Jacket & Pants, Boots and Rev'It Gloves....

AirBender

One Ring To Rule Them All
My review on the A*'s Valparaiso Drystar Jacket & Pants, Boots and Rev'It Gloves....

Hey there gang,

I thought I'd throw up some pics and the reviews I recently posted up on Revzilla of some new 4 season gear I got. I researched 4 season jacket & pants until I was cross eyed, as the selection and choices are endless! I ended up choosing the A*'s Valparaiso jacket & pants based of their true 4 season flexibility and attractive price point compared to much of their competition. I have gone ahead and copy and pasted my reviews directly from Revzilla to keep this simple.

Christmas came early! I tore open the box faster than a 6yr old on Christmas morning! :newtoy
20140921_144216.jpg

Jacket front
20140925_193631.jpg

Jacket rear
20140925_193932.jpg

20140925_194037.jpg

Alpinestars Bionic Air Back Insert
20140921_172602.jpg

Review:

A real contender in the 4 season jacket market...

Finally at the point where I can give a full review after having worn this jacket in varying types of weather. First my size, as I think that is always important when purchasing apparel online. I'm 5'11, 165lbs with a slim build. 31/32" waist in jeans with average chest & shoulders. Per the helpful RevZilla rep I spoke to on the phone, I ordered the Medium and it fits me perfectly. Waist length and arm length are perfect! Not too tight with the rain & quilted liners in.
The jacket is made very well (as expected for an A* at this price point) I wanted a true 4 season jacket and the different configurations make that easy to achieve with this jacket. So far I have ridden it on a cold, rainy day that was in the lower 50's WITHOUT the quilted liner and just a long sleeve t-shirt. I was cool, but not cold, more importantly I stayed completely dry.
The last 2 weeks I also rode in temps that were in the mid 80's and sunny, I kept the rain liner in and had a just a t-shirt underneath. I opened the chest vents, zipped open the arm vents, as well as the large back vent and the amount of of air moving thru the jacket was incredible! I was worried this might be a "hot" summer jacket, and while it's no air textile; I feel anything into the 80's and it will still be my jacket of choice.
Today I commuted into work in the coldest weather of the year, it was 44 when I left my house and I had both liners in and just a t-shirt and wifebeater on underneath. I should also mention I was using a Rev'It Windstopper Balaclava tucked into my collar. My speeds ranged from stop & go to 70mph. I was comfortable on the cool side but definitely not cold. Had I been wearing a proper long sleeve base layer I think I would have been perfect.
Now onto my only gripe about the jacket that stopped it just short of 5 stars. When you zip the outer shell all the way up and fasten the velcro collar, due to the design it causes a slight fold of the left side collar at the top of the zipper that causes it to hit my throat/adams apple. It's a bit uncomfortable especially when turning my head from side to side which causes it to tug on my throat and has caused some chaffing, even though Alpinestars has lined both the rain collar and the shell collar with soft fleece. Is it a deal breaker? Hmmm...I love this jacket, but lets just say had I been more aware of this prior to riding it and removing the tags....I'm not sure I would have bought this jacket. I do not have an obtrusively large adams apple or anything and this issue may not bother someone else. But I felt it necessary to add to my review. That being said I still recommend the Alpinestars Valparaiso Jacket...especially given the heftier price tags of some of its competition.
I'll be adding a full review of the Valparaiso pants as well once i have an opportunity to use them in varying climates.
Pants front
20140925_194406.jpg

Pants rear
20140925_194446.jpg

REV'IT! Roadstar GTX Gore-Tex Gloves
20140921_171906.jpg

20140921_172107.jpg

Review:

Depending on where you ride, these are great 2-3 season gloves...
I say 2-3 season, as I live in NC and have ridden with them in weather down to 44 degrees (no heated grips) and found that to be the limit for me in terms of cold weather riding. Getting the yo-yo temps we do here in Raleigh, I have also been able to use them in temps that were in the upper 80's and my hands were sweating and hot. The prime riding zone for these gloves seems to be anywhere between upper 40's to low 80's. I have been caught in a good steady rain twice with them now and my hands stayed nice & dry.
As far as fit goes I have fairly small hands (I think they measured 9 using 'zillas measure chart), so a medium fit me perfectly.The quality is top notch and I think they look great as well.They are very soft on the inside and not so thick that you don't get positive feedback from your grips and controls.
Overall I definitely recommend the Roadstar GTX Gloves. Just keep in mind that for true cold weather riding you'll need something burlier or heated grips. And for sizzling summer days a vented textile will be more comfortable.

I also picked up a pair of Alpinestars new Web Gore-Tex Boots which are part of their 2014 Fall collection. I have yet to ride with them as I am saving them for when my new RT arrives. But initial impression wearing them around the house is that they are very comfortable and will provide some nice safety and 4 season weather protection. :thumb
20140921_173049.jpg

20140921_173152.jpg

20140921_173311.jpg

Finally I added a REV'IT! Karma WSP Windcollar which has REALLY helped on those cool mornings of 50 degrees or colder. Funny how sometimes a small piece of gear like this can make a world of difference in being comfortable.... or miserable. :nono
20140921_173746.jpg

Well I apologize for the long winded post, but I hoped to have helped those that may be on the fence in choosing some similar gear or just enjoy reading about it as much as I do!

Cheers,

AB

Nothing to apologize for AB, the forum needs informative posts that help.
With pictures- even better :thumb
OM

Web Goretex boots

I've had a pair of these for about six years. They are waterproof and comfortable but have now got pretty floppy and the Velcro is failing and the soles are worn out. They've done pretty well for an inexpensive boot.
One problem on a boxer is that all the bulk of zippers and flaps is on the inside, and they catch on the covers over the intakes ( on my 2009 RT). They are a bit lacking in protection compared to some boots, but that's why they are light. Pays yer money and takes yer choice! Overall, they are good value.

I've had a pair of these for about six years.

They have been updated and are now CE Certified.
http://www.motorcyclegear.com/stree...oots/alpinestars/web_gore_tex_boots_2015.html

Alpinestar said:
The biggest piece of info for a CE rated boot is based around how well that boot can disperse energy from the vehicle while riding or an impact. Standard features in footwear to meet CE certification requires a structural shank in the foot bed to break down energy transferring up from the foot pegs or an impact to the bottom of the foot in a get off. It also requires the boot to have structure in the heel and toe of the boot, at minimum you need to have a hard supportive counter in the heel that can again help break down energy being pushed up through the foot bed. Though not required most Alpinestars boots contain a hard counter in the toe as well; this is more designed for wear from shifting and impact to the front/side of the foot during an accident. The last major feature required is impact protection on the ankle and every boot/riding shoe in the Alpinestars line features some sort of hard impact protection on the medial and lateral sides of the ankle. Overall in simple terms a CE rating in a piece of footwear works as a minimum standard to decrease the chance of catastrophic damage to the heel/arch/ankle in an accident

I've had a pair of these for about six years. They are waterproof and comfortable but have now got pretty floppy and the Velcro is failing and the soles are worn out. They've done pretty well for an inexpensive boot.
One problem on a boxer is that all the bulk of zippers and flaps is on the inside, and they catch on the covers over the intakes ( on my 2009 RT). They are a bit lacking in protection compared to some boots, but that's why they are light. Pays yer money and takes yer choice! Overall, they are good value.

This boot has no exterior zippers and the velcro seems to get a good tight closure against the inside of the boot. But I have yet to road test them, so maybe they will catch on the intakes :dunno Depending on how much you ride, I'd be pretty happy getting 6yrs out of a boot.

Thanks for that link Lee. Yeah, from all the research I was able to do online, the new redesigned 2015 version says that they are beefed up more now and a bit firmer with added protection. It's great to see they are CE Certified. I always expect quality stuff from Alpinestars.

Hi Airbender. How's the jacket holding up? I'm thinking about getting one for cold weather sport touring/commuting. I have also shopped quite a bit online. It seems to fit my needs pretty well. Aside from the collar problem, do you still like it?

Hi Airbender. How's the jacket holding up? I'm thinking about getting one for cold weather sport touring/commuting. I have also shopped quite a bit online. It seems to fit my needs pretty well. Aside from the collar problem, do you still like it?

Hey Kyle,

I have worn the jacket to work all this week with temps on Monday when I left in the morning a chilly 30 deg, rising up into the mid 60's for my ride home the last two days. I have left the quilted 3rd layer in and have been very comfortable coming and going with a thin long sleeve Under Armour base layer on and a button down dress shirt for work. Although it makes for a rather tight fit in the arms with the additional layering in. I have yet to be able to test the jacket or pants in a hard rain, but I imagine it would hold up quite well. My recommendation is if you do decide to buy it...wear it for awhile around your house, zipped all the way up, and the velcro collar in a comfortable position and see how much the collar fold might rub against your throat/adams apple, especially when you turn your head. If it's uncomfortable, just return it and go with your second choice. Revzilla allows for very easy returns FWIW. (Unfortunately I had already taken the tags off and ridden in mine, therefor negating a possible return)

All that being said....I still really like the feel and quality of the jacket. But if I had to do it over again, I'd go with a bit higher end suit that has a full Gore-Tex exoskeleton and no liners. Then I will base layer as I see fit. However most of the jackets I saw that fit that description were at least $300-$600 more. So for the next year or so I will make do with the Valparaiso. Hope that helps. Feel free to ask me anything else I could possibly help with.

Cheers,

AB

Hey Kyle,

I have worn the jacket to work all this week with temps on Monday when I left in the morning a chilly 30 deg, rising up into the mid 60's for my ride home the last two days. I have left the quilted 3rd layer in and have been very comfortable coming and going with a thin long sleeve Under Armour base layer on and a button down dress shirt for work. Although it makes for a rather tight fit in the arms with the additional layering in. I have yet to be able to test the jacket or pants in a hard rain, but I imagine it would hold up quite well. My recommendation is if you do decide to buy it...wear it for awhile around your house, zipped all the way up, and the velcro collar in a comfortable position and see how much the collar fold might rub against your throat/adams apple, especially when you turn your head. If it's uncomfortable, just return it and go with your second choice. Revzilla allows for very easy returns FWIW. (Unfortunately I had already taken the tags off and ridden in mine, therefor negating a possible return)

All that being said....I still really like the feel and quality of the jacket. But if I had to do it over again, I'd go with a bit higher end suit that has a full Gore-Tex exoskeleton and no liners. Then I will base layer as I see fit. However most of the jackets I saw that fit that description were at least $300-$600 more. So for the next year or so I will make do with the Valparaiso. Hope that helps. Feel free to ask me anything else I could possibly help with.

Cheers,

AB
Thanks for the info. What was your second choice of jackets? I was thinking like you in that I would like a water proof outer layer, not a liner. Much more expensive, but probably way less hassle. I currently use the Cortech GX Sport. It has the water proof outer layer, and just the zip in quilt liner. But it's wearing out and border line warm enough in Winter. And it's not 3/4 length. I'm looking for 3/4 length, waterproof outside layer, Lots of reflectivity, and plenty of warmth for Winter, AND under $600. With your research, what do you suggest?

Thanks for the info. What was your second choice of jackets? I was thinking like you in that I would like a water proof outer layer, not a liner. Much more expensive, but probably way less hassle. I currently use the Cortech GX Sport. It has the water proof outer layer, and just the zip in quilt liner. But it's wearing out and border line warm enough in Winter. And it's not 3/4 length. I'm looking for 3/4 length, waterproof outside layer, Lots of reflectivity, and plenty of warmth for Winter, AND under $600. With your research, what do you suggest?

Hmmm....for under $600 with those features? Not much. The Valparaiso or the Rev'It Neptune which is the other jacket I considered. It has 3 liners though to if I recall. http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/revit-neptune-gtx-jacket

Good luck my friend. PM me and let me know what you end up choosing.

Back