• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

How much does a fairing help?

I would suggest a heated vest from Gerbings. Its useful when off the bike where a fairing is not. Also can be taken off and put into saddlebags. When worn under clothing it lasts for at least 6hr on low. I do keep a spare battery in case.

Here is a photo. Not perfect but the best I could find quickly.

I have the same windshield PGlaves pictured - a quality product. I added an adjustable MRA X-Creen clip windshield extension spoiler;I still look over it, but this pushed the air over my helmet and made the ride mostly bug free and much quieter. This is the best set-up I've had on any bike. I bought mine from Twisted Throttle; it now costs $170. Some outfit called Wish sells a copy that looks identical for $19. An electric vest is a must - makes a huge difference. I prefer just the vest -no sleeves.

I'm bouncing around today and need to look more into the vests/liners on a real PC All them seem to require a controller plus the cost of the garment? Correct?

I know the hardware store sold Milwaukee jackets with a battery pack. I already have the ratchet that's use that pack.

A heated vest is essential for long /all day rides in the 40s to me. Get one that fits snuggly over a shirt. The closer to your body the better (not directly..beware hot spots).
Layer over the vest to suit your personal needs. Yes I like the vest better..core heat. Never felt I needed the arms but I have good gauntlet cold weather gloves that work well with the heated grips (palms not to think, back of hand well insulated.

Had a Gerbing till it died..several years...now have a Stitch again several years...like them both just fine

I have the same windshield PGlaves pictured - a quality product. I added an adjustable MRA X-Creen clip windshield extension spoiler;I still look over it, but this pushed the air over my helmet and made the ride mostly bug free and much quieter. This is the best set-up I've had on any bike. I bought mine from Twisted Throttle; it now costs $170. Some outfit called Wish sells a copy that looks identical for $19. An electric vest is a must - makes a huge difference. I prefer just the vest -no sleeves.

I think there is one brand that has a a built in controller with two or three settings.
For 20 years both of us had a couple vests with a simple on off switch and we were happy with that setup.
For the last 18 years we have been using controllers that are variable. You dial in the amount of heat you want.

I'm bouncing around today and need to look more into the vests/liners on a real PC All them seem to require a controller plus the cost of the garment? Correct?

I know the hardware store sold Milwaukee jackets with a battery pack. I already have the ratchet that's use that pack.

This site has several different brands.
https://www.thewarmingstore.com/heated-motorcycle-gear.html

We bought direct from Warm N Safe.
The waterproof jackets were on sale and the Adventure Rider site had a 20% discount on top of that.

https://www.warmnsafe.com/collections/12v-for-motorcycling-power-sports

If you buy heated gear go with the jacket with sleeves. I know guys that went cheap and bough a vest only to buy a jacket later, but never saw anyone buy a jacket and wish they had bought a vest!

And year, you don't need a controller, but you will want one. You can just use the inline rocker switch that some come with, but then you are turning the jacket on and off fairly regularly. With a controller you can set it and forget it. There may be a bit of up and down for the first few minutes of riding, but once you get settled in just leave it alone.

Another recommendation for Warm and Safe.

I couldn't wait!

I wouldn't buy a Roadcrafter anyway. I don't like one piece suits. I generally just wear jeans and no riding pants.

I should have been more specific: Aerostich Two Piece Roadcrafter with zip-on Bib Top for the pants - replying to the post about ski bibs.

When it's cold I wear my down jacket under my Klim Adventure jacket. I've been fine down to -15ÂşC. Ski clothing works very well, I was a ski bum for 20 years so I learned long ago what works for clothing in the cold. Good long underwear is a must. Merino wool is very nice but can be expensive, there are plenty of good sythetic options out there. I too wear ski socks under my boots for goos fit and comfort. Even when it's warm I generally wear light long underwear under my riding gear. My old high end ski gloves work well for cold weather riding too, being a long gauntlet stlyethey keep the wind out go your sleeves. I've yet to try heated gear.

When it's cold I wear my down jacket under my Klim Adventure jacket..

Back when our riding jacket was a wind breaker we would take a down vest to wear under it for cold weather.
When we started wearing leather we stopped wearing down as a jacket liner because down does not insulate when compressed under a riding jacket.
We do carry thin down jackets to wear at night on early spring or late fall trips.

R65_Steve;1249536 Do you have a photo of your R1200 with the fairing? Unless they was more than one guy from Maine at JVBs said:
Here's the old girl, leaving for St. Paul Rally in 2014 I think. JVB's was a good time, lots of nice folks. If your up around Pittsfield, drop be a line, I'll buy you a beer and hamburger.

IMG_0087.jpg

Hey Jerry, you're sideways!

I'm in Chester, NS for the summer.

I saw one of your posts on ADV, you said you were going to be working there, hopefully you've found a pub or two with acceptable beverages. I'm sideways most of the time, just a question of it being hard a port or starboard.

. Next stop was a sporting goods store and I bought ski bibs!

Debbie in her riding gear, 1981 California.
Ski bibs, down vest, hooded sweatshirt and windbreaker :)
She made the down vest and ski bibs.
I think it was mid 80s before we bought electric vests.

1981  California_0033.jpg

Back