• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

How much does a fairing help?

r65_steve

Took a couple of days off to do a ride around the WV mountains. Left this morning on my naked bike and it was cool. Low 50's. Started to rain and then I never recovered my warmth. I had on a T shirt, another T shirt, a sweatshirt and zipped the rain liner in my RevIt Sand jacket. Had the rain liners in the vented touring pants and a pair of under armor running tights on under that. Bottom was generally OK. But I felt I cold never break the chill up top. Between the weather and the gas shortage, I just cut the trip short.

Got me thinking. I like this Rockster and I like the naked look, but if I knew it was going to be this miserable I would have bolted on a goofy fairing for the trip. Then again, there's a lot of times, that I feel maybe I should have bought a different bike. I don't see myself as an RT guy, but maybe a GS with a windshield and wings?

Those of you that have done both, how much help is it? There's not much cool weather left this spring, but for maybe the fall if I don't trade for something else (unlikely).

Took a couple of days off to do a ride around the WV mountains. Left this morning on my naked bike and it was cool. Low 50's. Started to rain and then I never recovered my warmth. I had on a T shirt, another T shirt, a sweatshirt and zipped the rain liner in my RevIt Sand jacket. Had the rain liners in the vented touring pants and a pair of under armor running tights on under that. Bottom was generally OK. But I felt I cold never break the chill up top. Between the weather and the gas shortage, I just cut the trip short.

Got me thinking. I like this Rockster and I like the naked look, but if I knew it was going to be this miserable I would have bolted on a goofy fairing for the trip. Then again, there's a lot of times, that I feel maybe I should have bought a different bike. I don't see myself as an RT guy, but maybe a GS with a windshield and wings?

Those of you that have done both, how much help is it? There's not much cool weather left this spring, but for maybe the fall if I don't trade for something else (unlikely).

I am pretty sure that the OEM BMW Touring Windshield that fits the R1150R will fit your Rockster. I liked the one on my R1150R. And while not a couple of minutes, it is fairly easy to put on and take off - but once on I never did.

I am pretty sure that the OEM BMW Touring Windshield that fits the R1150R will fit your Rockster. I liked the one on my R1150R. And while not a couple of minutes, it is fairly easy to put on and take off - but once on I never did.

Lemme do a deeper search on that. This bike isn't entirely naked I guess, the PO put on a Laminar Lip screen. I like the way it looks but I'd have to unbolt (it's screwed on) it to get anything else to fit. But this was such a bummer today. I don't know how I thought I'd ride to Montana. (I'm not now, but was planning/thinking about it).

Lemme do a deeper search on that. This bike isn't entirely naked I guess, the PO put on a Laminar Lip screen. I like the way it looks but I'd have to unbolt (it's screwed on) it to get anything else to fit. But this was such a bummer today. I don't know how I thought I'd ride to Montana. (I'm not now, but was planning/thinking about it).

Here is a photo. Not perfect but the best I could find quickly.

Attachments

• Lights R1150.jpg
    Lights R1150.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 243
In addition to the windshield give some thought to your layering. Cotton, the most common t-shirt material, will feel cold and clammy in high humidity, even when dry. A good wicking base layer, like the UA bottoms you were wearing, paired with a fleece jacket, would have left you feeling a lot warmer inside a windproof and waterproof MC jacket. And those of us who routinely hit cold weather and high altitudes find great benefit from heated jacket liners like the Warm-n-Safe.

Best,
DeVern

In addition to the windshield give some thought to your layering. Cotton, the most common t-shirt material, will feel cold and clammy in high humidity, even when dry. A good wicking base layer, like the UA bottoms you were wearing, paired with a fleece jacket, would have left you feeling a lot warmer inside a windproof and waterproof MC jacket. And those of us who routinely hit cold weather and high altitudes find great benefit from heated jacket liners like the Warm-n-Safe.

Best,
DeVern

Good tip, thanks. I've got all sorts of other clothing I could have worn.

My 1st couple bikes I never wanted a fairing. Like yourself I thought they looked goofy. That was long ago when I was young and believed myself to be invincible.

The good news is, soon you'll not care about the looks of the fairing as your overall enjoyment of the bike continually rises because you'll be riding farther with greater comfort and less fatigue.

My first few were all quick detach. Other than for washing or maintenance purposes, I don't think I ever detached them. You can do Montana. If not this year, so be it, but it's well within the realm of possibility.

Good luck.

i am not a fan of the "naked" look or the lack of protection.
also not a fan of barn door fairings like on RT's.

the winner is the integrated sport bodywork of bikes like the KxxS's. K75S, K1100RS, K1200S, K1300S. looks great and provides "just enough" protection from the elements.

of course, BMW stopped making anything like these bikes in favor of the two extremes...:banghead

50 degrees and rain is going to be cold no matter what protection you have. I rode about 200 miles in 50 degree rain on my HD bagger. I even had my heated jacket and I thought I was going to freeze! I stopped for gas and I was shaking I was so cold. I had rain gear, but the rain on my legs just sucked the heat right out of me. A cup of coffee and a bowl of gas station chili, a few minutes rest and I headed out again. Next stop was a sporting goods store and I bought ski bibs!

50 degrees and rain is going to be cold no matter what protection you have. I rode about 200 miles in 50 degree rain on my HD bagger. I even had my heated jacket and I thought I was going to freeze! I stopped for gas and I was shaking I was so cold. I had rain gear, but the rain on my legs just sucked the heat right out of me. A cup of coffee and a bowl of gas station chili, a few minutes rest and I headed out again. Next stop was a sporting goods store and I bought ski bibs!

Aerostich Roadcrafter

My '11 R1200r has a parabellum fairing with the 20" high shield, in the conditions described by the OP, on a day long ride I can get cold, and this fairing blocks wind well. The only thing I've found that makes wet rides in those temps bearable is an external heat source. I got my first heated gear over 20 years ago and am still using the same vest and arm chap setup from Widder, unfortunately they've gone out of business, however there are alternatives. I layer the vest with merino wool or fleece depending just how cold it's expected to get, with the vest/arm chaps the second layer next to the skin, these of course under an all day durable water/wind proof jacket/pant combination.

Several weeks ago, returning from JVB's tech day in Virginia, my ride home was 10 hours long with a high temp of 45 degrees and pouring rain, Maryland to Maine. It wasn't the most pleasant ride I've had, not the worst either. The external heat source made all the difference.

I stopped for a late lunch at a Mexican restaurant. I was shivering as you describe. Of course, I swear they had the AC on!!

My '11 R1200r has a parabellum fairing with the 20" high shield, in the conditions described by the OP, on a day long ride I can get cold, and this fairing blocks wind well.

Several weeks ago, returning from JVB's tech day in Virginia, my ride home was 10 hours long with a high temp of 45 degrees and pouring rain, Maryland to Maine. It wasn't the most pleasant ride I've had, not the worst either. The external heat source made all the difference.

Do you have a photo of your R1200 with the fairing? Unless they was more than one guy from Maine at JVBs, I enjoyed talking to you. I'll be up in Maine this summer. Bikeless...well, unless you count my Specialized.

Smartwool is your friend, cotton works well for a dress shirt but is otherwise useless. You need to keep the wind out and your body heat in. Think "ski clothing with armor."

Smartwool is your friend, cotton works well for a dress shirt but is otherwise useless. You need to keep the wind out and your body heat in. Think "ski clothing with armor."

Perfect analogy...
We all need to adopt the "smartwool & ski-clothing" mantra when shopping for riding gear under the armor. Even with Aerostich.

I believe your problem is lack of personal preparation and good gear. You do not need a fairing or big windshield to do your riding.

I have all-48 state experience on several bikes, some fully faired (ST1100) some naked (FZ1). If you have the best gear (I wear Aerostich Darien and SIDI boots) you will be as warm and dry as needed to enjoy an all-day ride in reasonable temps (40s to 90s). Try it, you will like it.

Good luck.

50 degrees and rain is going to be cold no matter what protection you have.!

My wife will usually wear her heated jacket liner when it's 50 and raining. She has a RS.
A few weeks ago it was 46 in Texas one day when we were riding and she had her heated jacket turned on.

I'm surprised you were still cold with a heated liner and big fairing.

I believe your problem is lack of personal preparation and good gear. You do not need a fairing or big windshield to do your riding.

Good luck.

Perhaps.

I always need to remember that when I'm about to stoke out in the driveway taking the bike out of the garage road conditions will be much cooler.

I did think of starting a thread "how long did it take you to finally sort out the right gear ..."

Frankly I'd rather not mod the bike.

Never forget decent socks - almost all of mine are now either SmartWool or Wigwam lightweight skiing boot socks. They don't get too hot, and they stay pretty toasty in most conditions. (Boots are Daytona Roadstar GTX.)

A heated vest and heated gloves with heated grips keeps the torso and hands toasty, and that's as musch as I really need to stay warm.

Back