• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

My Rally Concerns.

Paul_F

RK Ryder
Good Morning Everyone!

I know that when the rally is done, there will have been loads of volunteers that will have been recruited on site and the rally will be a resounding success.

However, for whatever reason, volunteers offering to contact me or many of the chairs, for the most part has not happened so far this year. This strikes me as unusual as there are a high number of pre-registered attendees and the rally is located in a central zone, near large populations.

We have two new committee chairs who could really use help. I would like these folks to have a positive experience as committee chairs and return to those roles next year in Tennessee.

Door Prize Chair, Perry Linn ( plinn01@aol.com ) needs help, especially on the Thursday, opening day. To date, he has no volunteers.
The door prize tasks include making sure tickets go in the right bins and help while people write thank you notes to those contributing Door Prizes. These volunteers welcome folks and other duties as assigned. Three hour shifts, 5 people per shift. Door prizes closes at Thursday and Friday, until 6:00 p.m. and please note 4:00 p.m. on Saturday.

First Aid Chair Kelly Hochderffer ( Bunker7711@aol.com) is the second newby to being a committee chair. If you have any first aid experience, please contact Kelly. First Aid individuals have a special skill that most of us do not possess. If you have First Aid experience, please contact Kelly. She needs 4 people per 4 hr shift with First Aid background.

If you have volunteered in the past, please considered offering to help, especially on opening day.

I don't believe that I have seen a committee chairs contact list in the Owners' News, but if you need someone's contact, please reach out to me (email address below) and I'll send it to you.

Good reminder for everyone, thanks for posting.

I usually don't get to the Rally very early on Thursday, but will I do hit the volunteer booth during registration to see where the holes are and volunteer to fill one or two of them.

If this was enforced, maybe more volunteers would sign up before the rally?

Saw this in the rally FAQs. Seems like when I get there, lots of folks are already set up, and do not volunteer (they seem oblivious).
"Anyone arriving prior to Thursday, July 12, should be an identified volunteer with a rally committee and will be expected to volunteer for rally set-up duties. Rally set-up is a big effort and the set-up volunteers need an opportunity to get their work done in a timely fashion. Please give these volunteers a chance to get the party ready before your arrival.
The Registration area will be staffed 24/7 from Wednesday at noon through Saturday at 8 pm. Gate security will direct all first-time entrants to the Registration area. Anybody already on-site at noon on Wednesday will be asked to visit the Registration area.
Set-up volunteers will begin arriving on Monday, July 9, and regular rally services including food vendors, restrooms, showers, etc., will be limited until the rally officially opens. "

I got a couple more volunteers that contacted me since you put out the vibe Paul. Thanks for your efforts and support of the committee chairs.

Security is currently 86.1% filled. I have 36 volunteers needed and am at 31. 5 slots left open, and plenty of room on the reserve page (which I would feel more comfortable if I had some more warm body contacts on that sheet to pull from if I need em)

... I have no doubts you may be correct about some of the folks Scout6 (post #3 above)
While I don't know when you arrive, keep in mind, you may not have seen what task(s) or responsibilities they had/have,
or will be undertaking before Thursday at 8am.

This year is a little different though; the fairgrounds themselves have responsibility for all gate entry access.
Their "marching orders" may handle your concerns.

"travel'n" John
... known to help a little on set-up

It seems like a few rally's are having trouble getting volunteers. I know GMR is another one. Travel'n John and I volunteer at quite a few different events golf,aviation,over landing and others many of those events offer perks to the volunteers that meet a certain number of hours. Maybe if the MOA offferd a ten dollar discount on next years National to volunteers that contribute 12 hrs or more it would be an incentive enough to get more early recruits?just an idea.

I’m already signed up for a few volunteer spots but may help out with first aid later in the weekend.

Private appreciation event for volunteers, special sticker or pin (not a big pin fan) maybe a special tea with some fancy treats, special tire discount or bonus drawing, and maybe an opportunity to stand up and be recognized and thanked at the closing ceremony. Does not need to cost much. Hint, A special drawing for a 1200 RT, one ticket for every 4 hours of service hint hint :)

Rod

Since this is my very first BMWMOA Rally, I volunteer to be the designated NOOB.

As many years as I’ve seen you on the forums, this kinda surprised me. I thought I was the only one unable to attend rallies that was on the forums. This will now be my third Rally, I’m looking forward to it. Hope to see you there. Love your AVATAR Meme by the way.

Early arrivals

This has always been one of my pet peeves. I've been a Committee Chair since just about forever :) and have always recruited my own team of volunteers. I can't remember ever having to provide a list to Security of volunteers who should be allowed to come in early. With this in mind I see more and more early arrivers doing nothing for set-up.
So should I be the "free volunteer dinner" Nazi and ask for a little control in this area?

On the other hand I am always pleased to notice people coming out of the blue as it were, to volunteer for just about anything once they get the drift of the Rally concept in mind.
And yes, You can note that I am taking a break from any Chairman position this year so that I can show my grandson why Iowa is really a neat place to tour!

The Proverbial... "can-of-worms" Now Opened !!!

This has always been one of my pet peeves. I've been a Committee Chair since just about forever :) and have always recruited my own team of volunteers. I can't remember ever having to provide a list to Security of volunteers who should be allowed to come in early. With this in mind I see more and more early arrivers doing nothing for set-up.
So should I be the "free volunteer dinner" Nazi and ask for a little control in this area?

On the other hand I am always pleased to notice people coming out of the blue as it were, to volunteer for just about anything once they get the drift of the Rally concept in mind.
And yes, You can note that I am taking a break from any Chairman position this year so that I can show my grandson why Iowa is really a neat place to tour!

It's long been known by nearly everyone that is on-site by Tuesday afternoon... there's way more people here than "set-up" can even utilize!
So among our membership there's a golden "rally rule", that's well communicated to early arrivals...
This gig does not "start" until Thursday morning; go volunteer for some "set-up" duties OR stay out of the way until then.
You may expect to be inconvenienced by any number of circumstances; too many street lamps on overnight, no power yet to the "special needs camping", no shower trailer's or food service, ect. ect. I've even had to move my tent because the Sign Committee comes by and plops down a "no camping" posting in an area so perfect, I had to ask...
"is this heaven?" The reply was something like; "No it's _____, (not Iowa!) so please move your tent" ...maybe that was West Virginia, "almost heaven".
This was also a good example of unintentionally being in the way!

Each annual MOA Rally is unique, and this years pre-rally Gate (site) Security and Access, provided by the Fairground will be a challenge for them and us.
There are simply numerous folks, our Ambassadors, RV arrivals, Members in many capacities... that NEED to be/or WANT to be, early...
and who are not on any Chairman's Vol. List.

I do think it's a good idea to have our Committee Chairman and MOA Authorities, control the tokens/tickets for distribution to Set-Up Volunteers for the dinner. A No brainier really!

Hopefully, doing my part to keep our Rally concept in mind...

"travel'n" john

Vermont Rally 2006

I remember the rally in Vermont you were not allowed entrance unless you were on the list of volunteers required for setup.

I’m an MOA n00b too but I have been to one particular North East ADV rally a number of times and I’ve hosted a smal social rally at my house for a few years. I’m interested to see the spectacle of a rally of this scale. Who wants to see an MOA Getaway in Newfoundland?

I remember the rally in Vermont you were not allowed entrance unless you were on the list of volunteers required for setup.

We always seem to have early volunteers show up who have not informed us ahead of time. They provide valuable help with the various committees. I guess that I would rather have a few individuals who do not participate in order to have those unregistered early volunteers who do contribute to the setup.

Last edited:
A good start would be not to diss loyal members who have actively volunteered for years. Especially those who helped attract numerous other first-time volunteers.

Just sayin’ :brow

Ian

Like the Newfoundland Getaway Idea

I’m an MOA n00b too but I have been to one particular North East ADV rally a number of times and I’ve hosted a smal social rally at my house for a few years. I’m interested to see the spectacle of a rally of this scale. Who wants to see an MOA Getaway in Newfoundland?

The Newfoundland MOA Getaway sounds like a great idea for 2019. One of my bucket list items is to ride in this area. /Doing a Getaway event would provide direction & and a place to HQ during my ride. :dance

Not to hijack this thread but I’m already started a couple of conversations on the topic and I will do a little research on the first main issue of accommodation. If I try to run with it you can be sure I’ll put up a thread here.

Back