• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

My new R1200RS

I'm glad to hear all the positive comments on the new RS. I'm seriously considering this as the replacement to my S1000R very soon. If I can swing it, I'll keep them both. I was wondering if the engine bars are really essential? I know a fall as speed would probably cause quite a bit of damage, but I'm more concerned with a static drop from uneven footing when stopping. Would it be just cosmetic damage to the heads , or serious mechanical damage? I notice BMW and other companies offer covers for the heads as an alternative and wondered if they are good enough? Basically I just don't like the looks of the large bars surrounding the engine but will live with them if necessary.

Thanks.
I don't like bars either, so I went with the machineartmoto covers. They look good and are very strong, plus cost less than one valve cover:

GSAccessories113.jpg

GSAccessories111.jpg

GSAccessories110.jpg

GSAccessories19.jpg

They work too. My bike was hit while parked and went over hard on the valve cover. No doubt it would have severely damaged it, maybe knocked a hole in it:

Damage1.jpg

Damage6.jpg

Damage11.jpg

Jim :brow

Will you get me some measurements for the guards? I wonder if they'll clear the fairing.

I will, but based on photos, and that BMW looks to be using the same switchgear, I would say they will fit. You will have to replace the inner side of the reservoir mounts with the mirror style, but they should work:

web_BMW-R-1200-GS_195.jpg

2015-BMW-R1200RS-1.jpg

The issue may be fairing clearance.

Jim :brow

After the first 1000 km on my new R12000RS I have to say I'm blown away. I traded a 2009RT for this top of the line (Dynamic ESA, Gear shift assist, DWA, DTC, ASC, cruise: everything but the extra lights. I ordered the side cases and the crash bars but neither have arrived yet.:scratch

Why the RS? I wanted another boxer, and I wanted some wind protection. The RT was obviously the sensible choice, but the new styling I found fussy and a bit too staid compared to my old RT. The riding position appealed, too: I always wanted a bit more forward lean on the RT, which incidentally used to give me a wicked pain between the shoulder blades after an hour or two. And finally I just thought it was drop-dead sexy, always a good reason to choose something you don't need.

My report so far: I love the new waterboxer engine, and in this guise it seems to have met its perfect incarnation. It is sporty, responsive, and the bike handles like a dream, with a comfortable ride that far surpasses my old RT: no more harshness from the front end, now there is a wonderful suppleness from the tele fork. There is more dive, and a touch of squirminess under very hard braking (and with the new radial brakes that is VERY hard - I think the back wheel may have been hovering).
The riding position is definitely more sporting, leading to a greater sense of control. One reaches forward to the wide, flat bars, and ones feet are tucked up a little just in the right place to put some weight on them when required. Overall the bike feels very small and light.

Wind protection is certainly less comprehensive, but ones head, while out in the wind, is free from any buffeting. I notice that my faceshield now collects a lot of bugs: I may be in the market for some sort of lip or maybe a taller screen. It's colder round the hands, too. Very pleasant in the summer, when the feeling of being out in the landscape is much greater than on the RT, but I suspect I'll be needing some warmer gear in the Fall.

Gear shift assist and the engine in general are wonderful fun. Together with the exhaust, which is quiet round town but gives a joyous sonorous trumpeting when you wind her up, it makes running up (or down) through the gears a real thrill.

Handling (Metzeler Z8s fitted as standard) is remarkable. The bike sticks like glue, even on our frost-ravaged Canadian roads, confidence-inspiring, stable, without the tendency to drift to the inside of left-handers I found on the RT - I always had to consciously think about road placement on it to avoid coming round a left-hander with my head sticking into the other lane). Of course, maybe that was just me or my bike.

All the other electronic gizmos work as expected, totally unobtrusively. Rain mode on the engine really dials things back, while dynamic mode makes the engine feel a bit more sporty. Road mode suits me best. Dynamic mode on the suspension may be fun on good roads - it's just too hard round here.

Am I pleased? You bet!:):):)

Wondering how much the cases cost ... I would have liked to have seen them included as standard equipment ... hard to make the leap from my 92 R100RS after 23 years riding one bike ... but I'm sure the two are light years apart ...

Side cases will run you about $1000, and they are a tad bit on the small side. I would also order the liners from BMW as they are fitted to the inside of the cases and make the most of the available room, these will run you $250 for the pair. As for the top box its small (I think 30L) so I would go with a third party top case. On mine I mounted a 45L Shad which helps a lot in storage capacity and it was pretty easy to install with the universal mount. If you want a lot of opinions about the new RS go on over to the new RS forum at http://r1200rsforums.com you'll get some great advice and info.

R1200RS.jpg

Last edited:
I used the Kathy's Liners from my old 2009 RT - they fit fine. The cases are much the same size except for a bit of a cutout for the exhaust on the right side.

Factory GPS mount is blocked by tank bag

LOVE my new R12RS. It is my favorite BMW that i have owned so far. Only one problem. GPS screen is mostly blocked when I use my tank bag.
There is room to bring it forward just not sure how to go about it.
If only the mounting screws were square instead of staggered, then you could flip the mount.

See pics, Ideas?

2015-08-02 17.15.08.jpg2015-08-02 17.14.58.jpg

Last edited:
I use a Touratech GPS mount that puts it up above the instruments by the wind screen. BMWs position is really dumb in my opinion.

Last edited:
Does this picture of the Touratech bar to mount it on help? You can also mount the holder on a ram ball mount to the side on the handlebars. I actually have the oil cooled GS so I don't know the particulars on the LC model, but the high on the Touratech bar in the middle of the windshield looked similar and where it's easy to look at while still looking where you are going.
As I said, looking down at the front of the gas tank is just dumb if BMW wants you to survive to buy another BMW.

http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/...e-Gauges-BMW-R1200GS-ADV-2013-on-Water-Cooled

Last edited:
Back