• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Disk lock - Lockitt

DavidR8

I have to store my R1200RT and my ST1300 outdoors under cover. With my ST1300 I used a Kryptonite U-lock through the front wheel for security.
I wanted something that was a bit more portable for the RT.
I found this disk lock from Lockitt:
https://lockitt.com/rl21-sfb-roundlock
It is astoundingly solid. The thing that sold me on this is the fact that the round end is free to rotate so it's really hard, perhaps impossible to get a grip on it.

There's few thieves who walk around with 6' bolt cutters that would likely be able to cut the cable, and the locks shackle is also 3/8" thick, and isn't accessible when the lock is in use.
About 30 seconds with a cheap Harbor Freight battery powered angle grinder is all it takes on the cable. Yes! Lock stuff up! But don't be too confident.

One of the things I like about the ABUS in the video is that it looks like it would be hard to remove with an angle grinder. But then again, if a thief is serious about it, the bike will be stolen regardless, so insurance is the only real guarantee...

One of the things I like about the ABUS in the video is that it looks like it would be hard to remove with an angle grinder. But then again, if a thief is serious about it, the bike will be stolen regardless, so insurance is the only real guarantee...
I have a Brinks brand lock that looks just like that ABUS. I agree it might be a little hard with an angle grinder. But a cable or chain is easy pickings.

This one costs $4.85. https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256...3158ed&afSmartRedirect=y&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa

As a disk lock, yes. As a chain or cable lock about a minute or less with a battery-powered hand grinder; it will cut right through chain or cable. In SLC the thieves have proven that in less than 90 seconds they can be under a vehicle, cut loose a cat converter with a battery-powered sawzall, and be out and gone. Locks are good, chains or cables help, but they mostly help deter joyriders; a serious thief will best any lock or attachment.

And on the newer bikes, the smart thieves will just clone your fob and ride off with the bike while you’re at lunch or coffee on a ride, so there’s that.

Best,
DeVern

About 30 seconds with a cheap Harbor Freight battery powered angle grinder is all it takes on the cable. Yes! Lock stuff up! But don't be too confident.
I'm looking to keep the opportunist thief/thieves from taking it. A professional will have tools to virtually defeat any security system set up. Yes, that thick steel cable in 3/8" is vulnerable to a few tools, torch/angle grinder etc.

As all this has been discussed many times before, from disc locks to cables to chains, no doubt that anything that slows down the theft process is a help.........even the "feared" steering lock (if the new bikes still have that feature).
With the advent of the "air tags" that allow pretty good tracking, this seems like a worthwhile addition to the chance of recovery.
A local father and son recently had there dirt bikes stolen and when they brought the Police to the garage the bikes were hidden in, there were quite a few stolen bike and ATV's.
OM

As all this has been discussed many times before, from disc locks to cables to chains, no doubt that anything that slows down the theft process is a help.........even the "feared" steering lock (if the new bikes still have that feature).
With the advent of the "air tags" that allow pretty good tracking, this seems like a worthwhile addition to the chance of recovery.
A local father and son recently had there dirt bikes stolen and when they brought the Police to the garage the bikes were hidden in, there were quite a few stolen bike and ATV's.
OM
The airtags are a great idea. Personally, if the bike gets taken, I don't want it back to begin with.

Maybe not, but at least the AirTags could lead police to the scumbags who stole it..
The chance it's recovered within 30 days isn't something I'd look forward to. Seen bikes that were thrashed, dumped somewhere and then found. Not enough to total it, you'll need to get it back home [ that could be 1500 miles away ], then deal with ins co. to have a service mechanic fix it which could take as much as 3-4 more weeks depending on what parts need replacing.

If they take it, fine. I don't want all the hassle of getting it home from inpound, dealing with the ins co who would have to pay for a full inspection to make sure nothing that should be replaced was missed. Easier to catch an uber to the nearest airport and get home. Now, you get home, they found the bike, the crap begins to make the world whole again.

Member taking an entirely different view of getting a motorcycle that had been stolen back to him. Recent post.

OM

Member taking an entirely different view of getting a motorcycle that had been stolen back to him. Recent post.

OM
Couldn't have been an ins policy on the bike. After 30 days, the company cuts a check. How'd he get the bike back otherwise, unless he bought it back from the ins co. Or he had no insurance and got lucky to get it back?

Couldn't have been an ins policy on the bike. After 30 days, the company cuts a check. How'd he get the bike back otherwise, unless he bought it back from the ins co. Or he had no insurance and got lucky to get it back?
I don’t know. He had some warning on safety that I didn’t understand so I thought it best not to ask for the backstory.
OM

Back