• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Rigging an R1200GS Helmet Lock

randal99

I recently traded up, selling the 1997 R1100GS I’ve been riding since 2009 – my second BMW, following a brief stint on an F650GS Dakar – in order to pick up a little newer 2005 R1200GS. Despite having enjoyed riding the 1100GS, especially once I had picked up an aftermarket Wunderlich Ergo seat for it, the 1200GS made a quick impression, such that I didn’t really miss my old ride after only a couple weeks on the new one.

However, there was one thing I really didn’t like about my new ride. Where was the convenient, reliable, easy-to-use helmet lock on the 1200GS? How could the designers forget such an important and useful everyday accessory and expect everyone to awkwardly take off the seat every time they want to lock up – or even hang – a helmet? There had to be a way to make up for this oversight. So I set out to fix this omission.

First stop, checking out the part number for the R1100/1150GS helmet lock itself with an internet search. Luckily it’s still easily available. Part # 51252313472. List price: $47.80.

Next stop, the closest local BMW dealer in San Francisco. I was already going to be stopping by the dealer to pick up a much-less-critical, but still important omission that required fixing on both of the big GS models, a side-stand foot extender, to keep the bike from sinking in hot asphalt or other unstable surfaces. So when I made the trip I thought I’d see if I could order a helmet lock while I was there. But, amazingly, the dealer had one right there in stock! Not only that but when I explained that I wanted to get a 1200GS lock cylinder installed instead of an 1100/1150 cylinder, the parts person actually decided that since it wasn’t a very busy morning, he’d go ahead and see if it was possible to even fit a 1200GS lock cylinder in the 1100/1150 helmet lock. I had no idea it was such a complicated process, but with a few tries, a little WD40 and 15 minutes of fighting, it finally paid off and appeared to function fully and easily once it was appropriately installed! So I happily headed home to install both the foot extender and the helmet lock.

Foot extender, not much of a problem. After sanding and filing off any rust on the bottom of the sidestand, and putting on a couple coats of BMW black paint, it was a breeze to add some locktite and bolt the foot extender into place for the long term. After more than a year on the old 1100GS the foot extender was still solid when I sold that bike, so I expect this one to have no problems as well.

But the helmet lock? Now that I had one in my possession keyed to my bike’s ignition, all that remained was to find a place to attach it that would be convenient, stable and easily accessible. But where would that be and how would it be attached? I did an internet search and found one person’s mention of welding a bracket in place to attack a helmet lock to a 1200GS, but I have no welding experience or equipment. So something a little easier was called for.

After doing a quick survey of possible attachment points I decided that some sort of clamp for one of the frame tubes on the right side of the bike between the engine and the side case would be the way to go. So I measured some of the tube diameters and headed out to the local hardware store to look for any sort of clamp that might work to attach the helmet lock. But no luck. So, next step, another internet search, which rather rapidly led to eBay and thousands of cheap, easily-available “motorcycle handlebar mirror mounts” in a variety of colors! So I ordered a pair for $4.98 – including free shipping – from China! If you want more details, I ordered more specifically: “Black 10MM 7/8" Motorcycle Handle Bar Mirror Mount Holder Adaptor Aluminum Clamp,” Item # 251409455486, which is sold in pairs and is also available in gold, silver, blue, red and purple (and last I looked is now discounted to as low as $3.44/pair by some sellers). In a miraculous 5 days the 10mm7/8" mount arrived and, with a protective rubber band from my bicycle parts box added to protect the 1200GS frame from any scratches, I attached the helmet lock to the mount with a 10mm 28-thread bolt & locking nut, and to the bike with its own included screws.
IMG_0069.jpg

Having used the helmet lock for the last couple weeks now, I can say that I’m extremely happy with the placement and ease-of-use, and the helmet lock looks like it was made for the bike. If you didn’t know it was added-on you’d think it was meant to be there. And I anticipate many years of easy access that will ensure I’ll actually lock my helmet – or at least, make it look like it’s locked up – whenever I park around town or on trips.

So, for anyone else who misses having a more convenient helmet lock, here’s the how-to for a roughly $50 upgrade! Well worth the price in my opinion.

IMG_0068.jpg

IMG_0076.jpg

Nice setup.

In my case, I use a Ztechnique helmet lock (2 helmets)

It cannot be keyed to the ignition though

Back