• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

What I want

bobs_one

So, I was an idiot.

I went out for a late season solo ride that ended up with me getting the bike (GSA) into a position where I had to push it back before I could try to turn it around. I was on a muddy, very short (~4feet), piece of trail between an abandoned road and an open road that I used to be able to ride across and go between the concrete blocks that closed off the abandonded road. Turned out the blocks had been moved and the gap was now about 1.5 inches narrower than my cylinders so I was sorta screwed with my front wheel between the blocks and no way to go but back.

In trying to push the bike back to get it turned around, I managed to drop it onto its left side then, after picking it up, managed to drop it onto its right side (it WAS muddy) and I fell into a puddle before I finally got it turned around.

The whole time, I was cursing to myself that BMW needs to put a reverse gear onto the GS. If you actually use a GS to go exploring on new trails (or even if you park it facing slightly downhill in a parking spot) you know how hard it can be under even ideal conditions to push it backwards.

Wouldn't it be nice to have a reverse gear? I know Goldwings have had an electric (driven by the started motor?) reverse and I seem to recall some other bikes (Harley's?) did too - so I don't think it would be too hard to provide and shouldn't add too much weight.

Seems to me that it would be useful for a wide range of things (moving the bike in the garage...) and I'd certainly pay extra for it.

Yes, my 2001 K1200LT has reverse, and I think in '03 or '04 they added an electric center stand deployment feature. I've never used the reverse in the time I've had the bike, the PO used it 2 twice, so he told me.

Ural’s have reverse. In all likelihood, the bikes with reverse are are not suitable to ride the trail you were on. A Ural is designed for getting into bad situations and then backing into an even worse situation.

If you had a video of the situation you described, then you could make enough off of it to buy anything you want. It will be a story that will become more humorous with each telling. Thanks for sharing.

Yes, my 2001 K1200LT has reverse, and I think in '03 or '04 they added an electric center stand deployment feature. I've never used the reverse in the time I've had the bike, the PO used it 2 twice, so he told me.

We were riding from our home in AK to the lower 48 and stopped in Beaver Creek at the border with the YT to get fuel. While we are at the pump a rider pulled in next of us on an LT. What stood out was he looked to be in his 20s (not the prime demographic for an LT), was wearing a one piece set of leathers that were festooned with patches one would expect to see on a road racer, had several GoPro Cameras on the bike and helmet and, the thing that caught my attention, deployed an electric center stand. We spent 20 minutes or so at the General Store where the pumps were located. The LT rider spent that time sitting on the porch reviewing the video he had just recorded. I imagine there was a good reason for all of this but it struck me as odd.

The BMW K1600's have a reverse. It uses the starter motor for reverse. Between the limited power of the starter motor and the weight of the bike, it can only back the bike up very small inclines. The result is that I still plan ahead to ensure I don't ride into anything I can't ride out of, and as such have only used the reverse maybe 3 times in the years I have had the bike. The K1600 is a big/heavy bike, so a true reverse gear would be handy. No way BMW's starter motor approach is going to be strong enough for off-road needs. I think carrying a winch or come-a-long would be a wiser option.

My experience has shown that riding a motorcycle or bicycle that is traveling in reverse while the operator faces forward is not easily done. This can be proven out with a bicycle on an incline- letting one’s self go backwards.
A GSA is a large, heavy bike so any chance of something helping a reverse movement needs both feet down for “stabilization” during rearward movement.
The winch is interesting but I’m pretty sure that it would need to be coupled to the frame as I don’t think the rear rack would survive a good pull.
Good that you were able to stand the bike up twice. Sometimes in slippery conditions using pine-needles or gravel spread around the bike can help with traction.
If one is really stuck, it’s always decision time on more damage to bike or person or calling for help from a riding buddy.
OM

Apparently, WARN doesn't make that any longer. I've been interested in getting one but can't find one.

Whoops, I didn't see the date of the article.

I tested this for my Always an Adventure column in 2012, gave it to another member because I felt it was too heavy.

The electric center stand on the LT has caused a few looks over the years I had an '05 LT. One time I remember was that a few Harley riders and myself came into a motel parking lot and when I deployed the stand, one of the guys dropped his bike as he was watching me... I felt bad for him but his wife a buddies were laughing their butts off. :laugh
The reverse on that bike was a godsend on a few occasions as well as I would have likely pulled my back trying to reverse that bike. After 40K miles I got a GSA....:deal

So, I was an idiot.

I went out for a late season solo ride that ended up with me getting the bike (GSA) into a position where I had to push it back before I could try to turn it around. I was on a muddy, very short (~4feet), piece of trail between an abandoned road and an open road that I used to be able to ride across and go between the concrete blocks that closed off the abandonded road. Turned out the blocks had been moved and the gap was now about 1.5 inches narrower than my cylinders so I was sorta screwed with my front wheel between the blocks and no way to go but back.

In trying to push the bike back to get it turned around, I managed to drop it onto its left side then, after picking it up, managed to drop it onto its right side (it WAS muddy) and I fell into a puddle before I finally got it turned around.

The whole time, I was cursing to myself that BMW needs to put a reverse gear onto the GS. If you actually use a GS to go exploring on new trails (or even if you park it facing slightly downhill in a parking spot) you know how hard it can be under even ideal conditions to push it backwards.

Wouldn't it be nice to have a reverse gear? I know Goldwings have had an electric (driven by the started motor?) reverse and I seem to recall some other bikes (Harley's?) did too - so I don't think it would be too hard to provide and shouldn't add too much weight.

Seems to me that it would be useful for a wide range of things (moving the bike in the garage...) and I'd certainly pay extra for it.

Not piling on here, but it sounds like there was enough room to spin the bike around on it's side, and pointing it in the desired direction before picking it up (?)

Back