• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Mud, AAA, Vermonters and Hall Sensor.

MUSICMAN

Long. (I'm in a writing mood) Skip all and see questions at bottom?

95 R1100 GS 108,000 miles.

Yesterday we were out for a GS ride near Pownal, VT. Amongst numerous rocky trails that a local named, "Krusty, yes...really") lead us on with his jacked up 4 Wheeler Grand Cherokee (he saw us puzzling over a road and said he could show us some great trails.) Sure...why not.

One road had a long deep, dark mud puddle that wound up at one point submerging my cylinders...made it through ok with some fish tailing. My buddy thought he'd get a closer look at the mud.

We had to go back through the puddle, this time the GS died 3/4 of the way through. I was able to push it out, let it rest for 10 minutes and get it started. It was sputtering some but after the tips of the plugs dried out all seemed to be well.
We then made it to the beautiful view...well worth it. Parked for awhile in the hot VT October sun and lamented on the adventure so far. What a gorgeous day!

Krusty and his GF were pretty hammered by now....no thanks I don't want a beer.

Started the GS up, all is well. 5 minutes later parked it to take a few photos, went to start it again. Turned over but no spark. No spark at plugs, none at the coil.

4 of us pushed the Beemer to the top of a hill, I coasted to a dirt road intersection and called AAA plus RV (offers 100 mile tow for motorcycles) I'm about 60 miles out and not much daylight left. AAA says they found where I am and will be out within 45 minutes. Great! Or so I thought.

1 hr goes by, they're still trying to find someone who can tow a motorcycle, (umm what happened to the dispatched truck?) says it'll be at least an hour before they find someone. 1.5 goes by it's dark and getting cold. AAA says they can't find anyone to come and help. "Sorry," they say and maybe they can find someone tomorrow! I'll be making a call to the main office soon.

I forgot my BMWMOA A book, woops!

I have many tools, three cell phones between us, food and water and warm gear.
Should have also had matches, tow rope, anonymous book and jumper cables.

Diagnosing at various times from when the Beemer died it seems the problem was at the Hall sensor (I had remembered reading about this problem). All this diagnosing went into high gear once AAA dropped the ball.

I removed the belt cover and cleaned up around and at the hall sensor, put the bottom pulley back on correctly, tightened up the belt and the bike ran for about 30 sec..very well. Then the belt became very loose. The bottom pulley was wobbling. I took off the belt again, very puzzled why the pulley came loose. Seems the the pulley somehow sheared off the key that holds it on and the cup that goes around the Hall sensor came off from the pulley! Yes I put it one correctly. WTF.

Bike is defiantly not going anywhere now. I give up. My dear friend Bill rescues me at 10pm at night, he makes it home to his house at 1:30 am. Damn glad to have friends like him. I'd do the same.

Many locals on ATVs offered to help, lent us flashlights, used their cars for more light, offered their place for me to park the bike for the night. VT rocks.

Can submerging the GS in very muddy water make the Hall Sensor inoperable temporarily until I cleaned out the area?

Why did my bottom pulley come loose and the cup and notch separate? I made sure a few times that I had the pulley on correctly and in it's groove.

I hope Krusty made it home safely.

Thank you,
Andy

I'm assuming the hall cup is spot welded to the pulley or is separate?
It is seperate and locates via a raised shoulder on the pulley as well as the locating notch. It is easy if you are in a hurry to misalign these parts.

Why did my bottom pulley come loose and the cup and notch separate? I made sure a few times that I had the pulley on correctly and in it's groove.

Andy

I think it became unaligned when you started tightening it. It happened to me once.

Back