• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Morning Reads: Tuesday, 1 April 2008

mika

Still Wondering
Today’s Birthdays / Calendar

HB%20GIRAFFE.jpg

246113362_Dvdkn-XL.jpg

Some positive motorcycle news for India
vicky.in
Is the worst over? [A long depressed market showing increases]

motorcyclistonline.com
Motorcyclists reminded that April is check your helmet month

motorcycle-usa.com
2008 Superbike Smackdown

motorcyclenews.com
Free Ferrari for BMW R1200GS Adventure riders

wheel24.co.za
Hydrogen=powered bike on the cards

amadirectlink.com
Used-bike buying checklist

bikepoint.com.au
REVIEW: BMW Xcountry & Xmoto

bikepoint.com.au
Benelli releases rally pair

I guess I’ll find out if amile reads the Morning Reads :Brad
wormenridersnow.com
Women only bike show being held

bimotausa.com
Bimota Racing History

britbikeblog.com
Idaho Vintage MC Show gallery

bikenut.com.au
Wear leather jackets and pants EVERYTIME!

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/dodlKPBb-oA"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dodlKPBb-oA" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

241328056_CLkYe-XL.jpg

londaonbikes.com
MotoGP’s latest rivalry

bbc.co.uk
Spain’s MotoGP fit for a King

worldsbk.com: Official Web Site – News, features and more

motogp.com: Official Web Site – News, features and more

237905512-XL.jpg

BMW Sauber F1

BMW Motorsport

Interview with BMW Motorsport Director Mario Theissen.
03-31-2008 Press Release

“Taking a bold concept leap has paid off”

How do you review the situation after the first two races of the season?
BMW Motorsport Director Mario Theissen: “Naturally we’re extremely pleased with the way the season has started off for us. Two second places by Nick and Robert in Melbourne and Sepang, Robert on the front row of the grid in Australia, Nick claiming the fastest race lap in Malaysia, plus 11 points in one race and 19 in the championship – that’s an outstanding achievement and a strong basis for the coming races. It demonstrates we have been making steady progress since the roll-out in mid-January. I wasn’t just gratified by our good results, but above all by the performance and pace we managed in both races.”

The BMW Sauber F1.08 didn’t come up to expectations in the first tests. How did the engineers deal with that?
Theissen: “It was the first real acid test for our young team. Since the first outing in Valencia the day after the launch, we refused to be diverted at any stage and systematically continued along our planned path. Measured data and driver feedback were compared, causes analysed and a whole package of measures adopted – with success. In the weeks following the launch of the F1.08, we not only brought the car up to speed but also learnt a great deal in the process. In retrospect these were extremely productive and motivating weeks. Willy Rampf and the entire team deserve a huge compliment for never once losing sight of the goal even under extreme pressure.”

You mentioned a package of measures. What precise modifications have been made to the car?
Theissen: “During the first tests we very quickly established that the F1.08 is a far more complex car than its predecessor. It wasn’t a case of an individual component in the car not working. The key factor was that, in the first tests, individual elements weren’t interacting with each other perfectly. We rectified that step by step. It was a matter of fine-tuning the overall package, which we managed to improve through dozens of minor alterations. On the aero front we optimised the interplay of the front wing, deflectors and underbody, and in terms of mechanics, for example, we modified the front suspension slightly. These are all changes you can’t see but which all add up to a significant improvement in performance. And, of course, with each test we were able to gather new data that now enables us to find the right set-up for varying conditions.”

So will you be pitching your season target higher now?
Theissen: “There’s no call for that really. Our goal is to close the gap to the leaders and win our first race. That’s a fairly ambitious goal and we’re sticking to it. In the first two races we managed to open up the two-way battle. We were faster than one of the two top teams on each occasion. But one shouldn’t draw any premature conclusions. We’re still not on a par with Ferrari and McLaren-Mercedes. However, the latest results are certainly a great incentive for everyone. The clear message to the workforce is: we can make it.”

How much potential remains inside the BMW Sauber F1.08?
Theissen: “We’ve still got several arrows in our quiver and certainly haven’t exhausted our entire potential yet. The next major step is planned for the European curtain-raiser in Barcelona. For us one thing is clear: risking a major concept leap in the winter has paid off. Now it’s up to us to systematically continue along the path we’ve embarked on.”

How do you rate the performance of your two drivers?
Theissen: “Both of them have delivered what we expect of them. Not just in the two races, but prior to that during the important testing work over the winter. Both of them have prepared single-mindedly for the new season. And both of them have got what it takes to claim the first win for our team. They also know that it takes more than just a few fast laps. The drivers are leaders within the team and have a huge impact on the team spirit and the ongoing development of the car. Both of them are bringing this awareness into play, and I am very happy with the results so far.”

How did you fare with the standard electronics in the first two races of the season?
Theissen: “There was the occasional hiccup, but that was down to the fact that the application had not yet been perfected and was unrelated to the basic software. There were no malfunctions that might have threatened to end the race or compromise driver safety.”

BMW continues 2008 WTCC campaign on difficult territory.
03-31-2008 Press Release
Munich, 31st March 2008. This weekend the BMW national teams will contest rounds three and four of the FIA World Touring Car Championship in Puebla (MX). At the season opener in Brazil four weeks ago, the quintet of drivers amassed a total of 36 points with their BMW 320si WTCC cars. The goal of the drivers is to increase their tallies at the “Aut??dromo Miguel E. Abed”. However, it’s not an easy mission that will greet them in Mexico.

On the one hand, Puebla is located about 2,200 metres above sea level. This causes a loss of engine power which must not be underestimated. This loss, however, is considerably less for competitors running diesel engines due to the different configuration of the engine. On the other hand, four of the five BMW national drivers will carry “success weight” for the first time this year. Andy Priaulx (GB) of BMW Team UK, who is ranked third in the Drivers’ Championship, carries 33 kilograms of ballast, while BMW Team Germany’s J?Ârg M??ller (DE) will have an additional load of 26 kilograms on his car. F?®lix Porteiro (ES) of BMW Team Italy-Spain and M??ller’s team-mate, Augusto Farfus (BR), will carry an additional 14 and three kilos respectively. Alessandro Zanardi (IT) is the sole BMW national team representative who will tackle the Puebla challenge without additional weight.

Andy Priaulx (BMW Team UK):
“I wish I could say that I was looking forward to the Puebla race as my last visit there in 2006 was slightly coloured by the track itself, but we all had to cope with difficult conditions due to it breaking up. However, I did prove you must never give up as I battled through to seventh position in race two from 18th on the grid, despite being hampered by a full 80 kilos of ballast. The fun of being in a world championship is the different places we visit. I am confident the organizers will have done their best to improve all the facilities.”

J?Ârg M??ller (BMW Team Germany):
“To date, the Puebla races haven’t gone too well for me. I haven’t scored a single point there so far. Following a heavy accident in practice, I even couldn’t even race in the 2005 event. Therefore, it’s quite obvious there are many tracks that I prefer compared to Puebla. However, hopefully I will manage to pick up some points this time.”

Augusto Farfus (BMW Team Germany):
“Puebla is in many respects a very challenging race track. In the past we had problems with the quality of the track surface. I really hope that the circuit is in a good condition this year. Should that be the case, then the fans can look forward to a thrilling weekend. It is a very tight course, which suits the WTCC cars very well. The banked corner is a particular highlight.”

F?®lix Porteiro (BMW Team Italy-Spain):
“In Puebla I’d like to carry on where I left off in Curitiba. I was very happy with sixth and third on the first weekend of the season. I have never been to Puebla, and it has not necessarily been a successful circuit for BMW in the past. However, let’s wait and see how the new track surface will affect the balance of power. I am looking forward to it and will do my best.”

Alessandro Zanardi (BMW Team Italy-Spain):
“After some bad experiences in Mexico, the odds should be in my favour. The short history of our championship shows that Puebla is not suitable ground for our rear-wheel drive BMWs. However, a recent good test in Vallelunga, in which I think we made some progress, makes me feel quite confident. I’m not aiming for a win, but to leave the track on Sunday night with some championship points would definitely please me.”

History and Background:

Augusto Farfus is the only current BMW driver who has tasted victory in Puebla. As an Alfa Romeo driver he was second in race one and won race two back in 2006. To date, Andy Priaulx has scored three points in Mexico. For F?®lix Porteiro it will be his maiden visit to the 3.240-kilometre track.

Puebla, the capital city of the state with the same name, has a population of approximately 1.5 million. The defining event in the town's history was the "Battle of Puebla“, during which a French expedition corps attempted to invade the town on 5th May 1862. After local farmers were able to drive back the French army, 5th May became a Mexican national holiday. Because of its impressive colonial architecture, Puebla was named an official UNESCO World Heritage site in 1987.

From the city of Puebla it is possible to see the two Central American twin volcanoes, Popocat?®petl and Iztacc?¡huatl. With a height of 5,462 meters, Popocat?®petl, which is also called "El Popo“, towers over its majestic neighbour by 176 metres. Located 15 kilometres outside Puebla are the city of Cholula and the Tepanapa pyramid. Based on its volume, it is the largest building of its kind in the world.

As part of its international cultural commitment, BMW is again supporting the “Festival de M?®xico”, which will be staged from 10th to 24th April in the country’s capital, Mexico City. This important cultural event, which was first held in 1985, annually attracts over one million visitors, while 1,300 artists from around the globe take part. BMW has partnered the festival since 1996. Musicians, dancers and actors turn the capital city into a gigantic stage.

Both WTCC races will be run over 16 laps, which is an overall distance of 51.84 kilometres. The first race will begin on Sunday at 12:20hrs local time (19:20hrs BST), race two starts at 15:20hrs (22:20hrs BST). The drivers will have the opportunity to become acquainted with the track during a 30-minute Friday test session. Both races will be broadcast live on Eurosport International and on the official BMW Motorsport website at www.bmw-motorsport.com.

The Scandal
sports.aol.com
Formula One Boss Caught in Nazi Orgy?

The response by ‘the company’
topspeed.com
FIA has no comment on Mosley “Sex Scandal”

The obligatory follow up question
windingroad.com
Question of the day: Should Max Mosley steop down?

Continued Page 2

Page 2

248944514_biip9-XL.jpg

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CrvFo2VosO0"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CrvFo2VosO0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

241999257_ZXaeB-XL.jpg

BMW Website Review:

worldofbmw.com
BMW wins at the Heroes Legend!

From the Husqvarna News letter:

AMAZING MEO AT MX INTERNATIONAL RACE IN ITALY

Easter was the occasion for a wonderful Motocross show. Special guest in the International race was Enduro French rider Antoine Meo who stole the scene to the main MX riders. Antoine was author of two breath-taking heats on CR 144, the only two stroke present in the race. In the first heat, Antoine was stopped by a group crash and had to recover from the very last position with a furious run up to the third place, leaving the public present at the cross track astonished. In heat 2, again a contact with another rider forced Meo to ride the whole race without clutch. Even the situation was tough, Antoine rode until the end arrived 4th at the chequered flag which made him climb on the third step of the podium. Not a good day for Italian Andrea Bartolini in MX1 who, after a contact with Cairoli, got injured, while Stevanini, after performing the hole shot, arrived 9th in the first round, while in round 2 had to withdraw after falling badly.

ALLIER FOURTH IN FRENCH MOTOCROSS

The French Motocross championship arrived for its second round in Thomar La Sogne, Noirthern France, where heavy rain and mud didn?óÔé¼Ôäót help the riders. Husqvarna rider Thomas Allier got a 4th place overall tanks to his perfomances during the day in which he was 3rd and 4th in the two heats. In the superfinal held together with MX2 riders, Allier unfortunately fell down and recovered only to 6th place. Allier teammate Martin, on TC 450, arrived 8th and 7th in the two races, conquering the 10th position overall.

HUSQVARNA JUNIOR TROPHY, A CHALLENGE IN THE CHALLENGE

The first round of the Junior Trophy, a special challenger open to the young Enduro World Championship riders, had its very first round in Sweden. On 43 participants all belonging to the Enduro Junior class, 17 attended the snowy race on a 2 stroke bike, which made them apply to the trophy. The provisional first placed rider of the challenge is Marc Bourgeois on WR 125, thanks to his good results (1st and 2nd in the two days). Next round of WEC and Husqvarna Junior Trophy will be held in Portugal on March 29 and 30.

WRIGHT AND CINI AUSSIE TALENTS

Good performance for TC 250 2008 and Adam Cini, Australian rider at his first time on the 250 4 stroke. Cini had his debut last week end in crazy hot Townsville. Race condition were extremely difficult, but Cini felt immediately at ease with the new bike and got the second place. Same result for young Jake Wright who, still on TC 250, was second at the end of the day.

BMW Yachtsport

BMW Golfsport

BMW Oracle Racing

BMW Sport website

237925770-XL.jpg

BlogRoll: some of the blogs I have collected while purposefully wondering around the internet.

Stuff: A place for everything and everything in its place, including stuff.

reuters.com
Apple has biggest impact on world consumers: survey

gpsworld.com
Startup offers U.S. speed trap data for Garman PNDs

dps.com
Choosing a day bag for your camera

M.R. Traveler

If you are in Minnesota in May ÔÇô
exploreminnesota.com
Declaration of Independence on display in St. Paul

cmgonline.com
Ayres finds Canada