• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

AL 2nd Sat Ride-2-Eat to Mentone!

HSVPhil

AlaBeemer_Prez
Team-HSV rode the route to the eclectic Wildflower Cafe in Mentone on May 1st. There were at least two detours and some challenging uphill twisties that we encountered. This particular ride gets a bit funky along County Road 38 near Langston, AL which climbs up from Lake Guntersville. [ N34° 32.318' W86° 04.407’ ] We had to manage a wee bit of gravel as a road was shrunken down to One-Lane as we climbed to 1400’ feet ASL on the Tenn River bluffs. Cars still manage to drive through on the Rough Pavement, so it “should not be” a problem for any competent 2-wheeler… If you point your front wheel where you need to go to avoid the rippled & subsided asphalt, then all will be biggly Okay! It was very similar to the road project we surmounted on our mountainous ride in Corsica (where we actually moved the construction fencing aside to proceed [and put it back when past]). :lol

So the Wildflower Cafe is an “interesting Ride-2-Eat Destination” for our club. It Ain’t no southern BBQ joint! It’s an artsy-fartsy mountain haven with wholesome made-to-order lunches. Their driveway & parking lot is mostly well-compacted gravel, but it’s well tucked away in the woods. But it’s all very manageable! 6007 Alabama Highway 117 / Mentone, AL

I’m attaching a photo of the menu for your review. It isn’t an inexpensive destination, but U get what U pay for. Mrs-HSV had a spinach-quiche with a side of baked mini-tomato pie (3”). Le grande Poobah enjoyed his Canyon Ground Steak Burger with a side of fresh julienned vegetables. With one water & one iced tea, we dropped $40 incl tax & tip… Bring a credit card just in case you have a decadent dessert! https://www.mentonewildflower.com

Our Problem in HSV is we need to get there a little before they open at 1100 on Sat to get a group seated. {I never know how many chairs we’ll need...} Our ride from HSV was about 99 miles mostly along back roads. With some traffic and many twisties, there’s not a lot of group passing zones… So, the HSV Crewe will leave from Murphy’s Gas Station on South Parkway at 0830 {leaving 2.5 hours to get to the restaurant by 1100}. If anyone is thinking of eating a quick Vintage M/C Breakfast at the Blue Plate Cafe on Governor’s Drive, then I’m suggesting U arrive much earlier than the typical 0745 (maybe 0710)! We’re going to head south to Murphy’s NLT 0815 so we can get a quick fill up of High-Test ethanol-free petrol and be on our way south NLT 0830!

Attached is my planned GPS route (but there’s a weird unwanted turn that I can’t delete; ignore that!). It Will Certainly Be a Scenic and Interesting Ride-2-Eat! Y’all may choose your own desired route to get to the restaurant in Mentone by 1100. [ N34° 34.740' W85° 35.386’ ]. My Tracks indicate we ride from the 600’ level in HSV up & down along some twisty backroads before eventually climbing up to 1535’ at the Wildflower Restaurant. P&K CoddiWompled our way home through Rainsville, Albertville, and New Hope. :thumb

As we learned when riding in Europe, followers who are “Riding their own Ride at the own pace,” should expect the bike in front of them, to be visible or stopped at the next Turn-Point. Leading riders shouldn't make a turn and Not Be Seen by a following rider. A simple but crucial group riding rule. This rule applies to every rider in the procession. Ride your own ride on every twisty road section and anticipate a leading motorcyclist in front of you to wait for your approach. One-to-two, two-to-three, three-to-four, all the way back to the chase motorcycle. :deal

Hope you’ll ride or drive to the Wildflower Restaurant in Mentone on May 14th. Please RSVP to president@bmwmoal.org by the 13th so I can try to warn the staff ahead of time! There is a covered outdoor seating area if we all happen to get there on-time... :brow

View attachment MAY-22-R2E.GPX

View attachment R2E-May-2022.pdf

Menu.jpeg

Front-porch.jpeg

Happy Trails whenever U can - Ciao!
HSV-Karen & HSV-Phil
USN-Ret'd —-&-— USAF-Ret’d

'09 650GS-twin — '14 K-GT
'82 R100CS ——— '75 R90S
'16 R1200RS —-— ’05 Vespa 200L

So - I think the small gaggle of attendees enjoyed May's Ride-2-Eat to the Wildflower Restaurant.

I’m sorry there were only seven folks at the table... Several chaps said they would attend, but then a squirrel went by and off they went in a hurry.

Five riders departed from Murphy’s Gas in HSV at 0740. Phil moved at a relatively quick pace to make up for lost time. But then we encountered some traffic over along Route 11 and apparently the world’s longest yard-sale. Many more distracted drivers...

I believe the ‘peeps’ enjoyed the circuitous route chosen for this month’s R2E, but that’s just one man’s opinion...

We’ll see what we can come up with for June (I’m thinkin Tullahoma and Daddy Billy’s & the Beechcraft Stagger Wing Air Museum).
https://daddybillys.com
https://beechcrafthm.org

The patio service was just a bit slooooow, but our lunches were very Tasty! The peeps seemed to enjoy their individual selections.

Jim & Phil are waiting to be seated on the patio (where we waited a bit longer for lunch).
Jim-Phil-waiting-on-porch.jpeg

The Lunch Bunch - thnx to Tom & Pam for sharing some pix.
Patio-Lunch-Bunch-sqr.jpeg

A Bunch of Bikes awaiting our departure. The HDs in the distance were on another tour... :nod
Bikes-at-rest.jpeg

Happy Trails whenever U can - Ciao!
HSV-Karen & HSV-Phil
USN-Ret'd —-&-— USAF-Ret’d

'09 650GS-twin — '14 K-GT
'82 R100CS ——— '75 R90S
'16 R1200RS —-— ’05 Vespa 200L
:beer

Back