• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Bmw motorrad releases 2018 sales figures

That's just another compromise of many. I'm after full on turn-key comfort/tech/performance w/ a slightly trimmed fairing and the electric windscreen you find on every BMW touring model as a basic requirement. No brand makes this model and if done right would capture a whole bunch of ST aficionados who are starting to be concerned w/ curb weight. They currently choose R bikes and GS/GSA because the model described is not currently offered!

I suspect that the BMW decision makers are not clueless or tone deaf to what the buying population wants. They expend a great deal of time and money doing market analysis and product development. They do not always get it right (right or wrong as determined by sales figures) but they get it right more often than not. It is easy to throw out an idea and to predict success when you have nothing at stake; it can be catstrophic for a motorcycle manufacturer to spend millions developing, retooling, manufacturing and marketing and getting it wrong.

That's just another compromise of many. I'm after full on turn-key comfort/tech/performance w/ a slightly trimmed fairing and the electric windscreen you find on every BMW touring model as a basic requirement. No brand makes this model and if done right would capture a whole bunch of ST aficionados who are starting to be concerned w/ curb weight. They currently choose R bikes and GS/GSA because the model described is not currently offered!

Well, the bike you are describing sounds awfully similar to the F800GT, which was a really nice bike that with the new 850 motor would have been nicer. But it’s been dropped from the lineup and my guess is because it wasn’t selling in numbers that justified it’s existence. It costs nearly as much to build a midsize MC as a large one, and the mfg has a hard time justifying the smaller profit margin on the smaller machine, plus the fact that they end up competing against the big brother in the lineup. BMW has been down this road before with the R65 vs R80 or R100, the K75 vs the K100, etc., which makes understandable their reluctance to produce full-featured mid-size bikes.

Best,
DG

Well, the bike you are describing sounds awfully similar to the F800GT, which was a really nice bike that with the new 850 motor would have been nicer. But it’s been dropped from the lineup and my guess is because it wasn’t selling in numbers that justified it’s existence. It costs nearly as much to build a midsize MC as a large one, and the mfg has a hard time justifying the smaller profit margin on the smaller machine, plus the fact that they end up competing against the big brother in the lineup. BMW has been down this road before with the R65 vs R80 or R100, the K75 vs the K100, etc., which makes understandable their reluctance to produce full-featured mid-size bikes.

Best,
DG

They haven't produced a 'full-featured' (by 2019 standards) mid-size ST. Sure you can also say there was a time when BMW's top bike was R32 and they moved on up from there. Yes the trend has been adding weight and power. But that ignores the reality that almost universally as riders age to a certain point they start looking for lighter curb weights. It's true! F800GT was greatly compromised--and this is why it didn't sell so well not because it is a middle-weight machine, plus it's solid Rotax engine was a buzz box at over 4200RPM. An 850cc displacement would have added virtually nothing to make that model more attractive. Start stripping off major performance and comfort features and you end up w/ another compromise that doesn't sell well. The challenge that makes the BMW T1000GT unique and attractive in the market place is that it does not sacrifice performance, comfort, handling and style while fitting a form factor attractive to the aging predominantly one-up rider. And often it's the aging rider that has the funds, time and interest.

I agree the biggest problem comes in not pulling too many sales from competing heavy models. I am 100% sure a good part of why aging riders buy GS/GSA/RS/R models are all about weight, and they deal w/ what you get when you do that w/ those models because it's all there is. A T1000GT can be distinguished by not having the options to add super premium features only to be found on the heavyweights: start w/ no audio package, no central locking, no fat heavy inefficient shaft drive. This model can be sold essentially w/ very few 'options', which helps reduce manufacturing cost. Next, trim down the weight of the side cases. They can use the lighter simpler models found on RS for example. Next trim back the width/girth of RTW's fairing design. If they can get the engine design w/ a transverse crank ultra smooth this would be the icing on the cake and I predict anyone coming off of something like RT will drool over this model if done really well. Because it is fully featured on all of the basic attributes of a fully competent ST capable of all day touring and sport riding it can command a higher price point. F800GT was overpriced for all of its sadly lacking features. I can see $18,000 being about right for T1000GT if done really well. Little to no options, as is, and really well endowed off the shelf;o)

Back