• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Morning Reads: 7 July 2007

mika

Still Wondering
Today’s Birthdays / Calendar

shirt.front.jpg

Wonderings

WANTED: THE MONTH OF MARCH!!!???!!!

I looked at the Roadster after I arrived home last night. That is when I realized that I lost the month of March. It is normally a month of transition between winter and spring riding. It is the month where a good deal of my bike projects and normal maintenance is done.

I had hoped to have a sparkling stockish Roadster to ride to the Rally. The miscellaneous parts that did not make it back onto the bike after various experiments were to have been put back on their proper places in March. The decadal detailing that would remove the winter and past seasons riding grime was to have taken place then also. This meant that it would only take a gentle was this weekend to bring the sparkle back. I would pack my gear while the bike dried and then I would load it. I may have hoped for that but someone stole March when I was not looking and I slipped right into spring riding and the rest is a mess if not history.

I have a filthy bike. Various shields are on different shelves or in bins where they were put when I was playing with winter ideas. I have the utmost shaky confidence that the tires will make it to West Bend and back. There will be no braided steel brake lines. They will come with the after rally brake job. The fluids will be freshened today. The bike will be rinsed and cleaned up a bit. (Memories from my hospitality/property management days and discussions of old and new dirt are flashing through my mind but that is a story for another time). Then it will be loaded Sunday and I will be off…I think.

I am not certain exactly when he next posting of the Morning Reads will be. It will be after I arrive at West Bend. That could be Tuesday perhaps or more than 31 days from now if I find the month of March while I am packing.

I hope to see many of you at the rally. I’ll be the big guy on the dirty parts bike.

Rumors

Via: Motociclismo.es
With Spanish – English translation by Google Translator

Anticipation: BMW K 1000 RS
BMW develops to one superbike with relation weight 1:1 power

BMW K 1000 RS is the bet of future of BMW to compete as much in the category of Superbike in the World-wide SBK as in the championship MASTER SBK. According to we have been able to know, the manufacturer has made contact already with enemy with the FIM and the MASTER and what today still she is a sketch seems that she could enter production in August of 2008. Its more outstanding characteristic: a relation between weight and power of 1:1.

170276045-L.jpg

The pretension of BMW to compete in Superbike goes in serious. The Bavarian manufacturer has begun to develop a model specifically produced for this assignment. According to we have been able to know, moto could be called BMW K 1000 RS and, in his evolution, he would follow directives different from which off has used in the competitions road; see yourself, for example, the case of BMW 450 Enduro.

Although still he is soon for in series confirming the production of the model, yes that we have been able to know that BMW already has made contact with enemy with the FIM and the American MASTER to study the possibility of competing with moto.

The last information aim at that BMW K 1000 RS will use one more a structure more conventional than the one than it uses at the moment in his sport models. Thus, it would bet in line by a motor of four cylinders, a chassis of double aluminum beam, inverted bracket for the front suspension and transmission by chain.

Project 190/190
In BMW they denominate project 190/190 to the development of BMW K 1000 RS. The explanation is simple. Seeing the tendency of the Japanese manufacturers with respect to the sport motos, BMW wishes to go more far still and to create a product with a relation weight power of 1:1. For it, they want that this BMW K 1000 RS has 190 CV and 190 kg of weight.

In this respect, we have known that BMW has studied thorough the Suzuki GSX-R 1000, with a Duolever mounted in the front train, that finally has been misestimated, like also another solution of the style, like the supensiones of Telelever type.

Our sources also have advanced to us that superbike BMW K 1000 RS will equip a semiautomatic change with hydraulic or pneumatic drive. Also, BMW shuffles the possibility of sending one more second more sophisticated and equipped version with a system ASC of traction control.

As you can see, although still the information are enough little and they take well privily, seems that the project goes enough advanced. In fact, we know positively that they have proven some that another prototype in circuit and that have presented the jump to the tests in highway their behavior in a daily use. One dates? We will bet per August of 2008, according to the data that we have received. Pero mantente kind to Motociclismo.es because, without a doubt, that we will give to new informative advances on a BMW K 1000 RS you that promises many emotions.

Feature

I noticed the web address at the bottom of the illustration for the K1000RS featured in Rumors. If you follow s-kraft.com to its English language site you are in for a quick look behind the Motociclismo drawing to the creatures of the artwork.

Motorcycle News:

amadirectlink.com
New AMA member benefit could save your life in a medical emergency

cycrilbuzeblog.com
Cyril Huze takes a look at the War horse rolling chassis and frame kit for Harley’s by Big Twin Racers

motorcyclenews.com
Motorcycle Reviews: Bimota Tesi 3D

motorcyclenews.com
Green firm bans staff from motorcycles

a-harley-motorcycle.com
Pocket Bikes and the Federal Government

yomiuri.co.jp
JAMA removes limits on motorcycle engines

gizmag.com
Enertia electric motorcycle to hit stores in early 2008

Book Review:

webbikeworld.com
The Essential Guide of Motorcycle Travel:
Tips, Technology, Advanced Techniques
By Daly Coyner
ISBN: 1884313590
Dimensions (inches): 8.25 x 10.5
Publisher: Whitehorse Press, 2007
176 pages, Color Photos and Illustrations
Cost: $24.95 (U.S.)
Review Date: July 2007
webBikeWorld.com Book Review by "Mad Dog" Earle

Motorcycle Repair and Care:

webbikeworld.com
Ethenol use in motorcycles

visordown.com
Suspension know how

Riding Skills:

citybiker.wordpress.com
Bikes are dangerous…(but maybe not as dangerous as you think!)

nytimes.com
Fro Riders, Risk Is Growing
The first reported deployment of an airbag on a Goldwing

M.R. Traveler

bravenewtraveler.com
5 Reasons Wiki Travel Guides are better than guidbooks

zwire.com
Safe camping procedures offered

Weather

West Bend WI
Current

10 Day Forcast

United States
National Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration

Canada
Meteorological Service of Canada

Today’s RoadFood.com

Woot

Todays Woot

The Blog

Over Heard in New York | Voice of the City

All things BMW

carsweb.org
Best selling bike of 2006?

170175304-M.jpg

superbike.co.ukBMW Megamoto launch report

infromotori.com
BMW HP2 Megamoto – Test Ride

170175329-M.jpg

Via BMW-K.com

BMW Motorrad unveils Resident Evil-inspired K1200R show bike

The Resident Evil genre started life as a video game and soon became a global success story. The first two films – Resident Evil and Resident Evil: Apocalypse – based on the mega videogame sellers of the same name from Capcom have generated a total turnover of over 600 million US Dollars worldwide to date. The third film – Resident Evil: Extinction – is produced by Constantin Film AG and will be released in Europe in September. It sees Alice (Milla Jovovich) once again take up the fight against the evil Umbrella Corporation to try to eliminate the deadly virus that threatens to make every human being ‘undead’.

To commemorate the BMW K 1200 R’s starring role in new action blockbuster Resident Evil: Extinction, BMW Motorrad has unveiled a striking show replica of the machine. The Resident Evil: Extinction show bike is based on the 163 horsepower BMW K 1200 R naked roadster that is ridden by Hollywood actress Milla Jovovich in the new science fiction epic.

Thomas Peter Friedl, Board Member of Constantin Film AG emphasized: "The powerful BMW K 1200 R was chosen for the movie because of its muscular and aggressive appearance, which fits perfectly to Alice’s ass-kicking performance in the movie"

The Resident Evil-inspired show bike features immaculately airbrushed spinal bones on the tank and detailed gold lettering on the fairing to tie in with the theme of the action movie. The stunning paintwork design was originally conceived by a BMW Motorrad project team based in Munich and then talented artist Georg Huber – who is renowned for his delicate airbrushing techniques and unusual custom designs – was commissioned to bring this vision to reality.

Georg first began practicing the art of airbrushing in the Eighties and further developed his talents through the repairing and painting of car bodywork while working for seven years in a garage. He then established his own business creating airbrush and fine art pictures and has since made a name for himself by painting trucks, motorcycles, cars, guitars and even walls.

Georg began working on the Resident Evil: Extinction BMW K 1200 R show bike at the beginning of June. About 50 per cent of the machine’s design was done by airbrush, and the remainder is finished with a fine brush. The complex design took him around three weeks to complete. “The bike took a long time to finish as it was important for me to find the best balance between the colours of the bike and all the paintings from the movie,” explains Georg.

“The first thing I had to do was apply the background paint to the motorcycle and then apply the lettering. However, the biggest job was painting the spinal column of bones on the tank, as it was very detailed. I had to remove the majority of the motorcycle fairing in order to complete the airbrushing. I don’t think that I could have put it all back together again without the help of BMW mechanic Gunther Rehbock!”

Georg’s past projects include creating background paintings for movie companies. His behind-the-scenes experience has also led to him teaching other artists airbrushing techniques in countries such as Germany, Austria and Switzerland. His work is also featured in a number of International airbrush and fine art magazines and there is even a collection of electric and bass guitars featuring his artwork, as well as quite a few record cover sleeves showing his pictures.

The stunning Resident Evil: Extinction BMW K 1200 R is making special appearances at various worldwide events in 2007, and makes its first European public outing at Garmisch-Partenkirchen this weekend for the BMW Motorrad Days festival. The bike will also be visiting the San Diego Comic Con International at the end of July and will be at various events in Las Vegas throughout August. The Resident Evil: Extinction movie is released in Europe on 21 September 2007

170175312-M.jpg

BMW Group Press Club: Page 2[/size]

Bike Candy

168414846-L.jpg

Carbon fiber to the extreme

THE END

Last edited:
BMW Group Press Club: Page 2

World of BMW news

Tough luck for Simo at Mernes

The 24-hour Xchallenge

BMW Motorrad Motorsport prepares for Barcelona

PressClub USA

NO BIKE NUMBERS

BMW GROUP (USA) REPORTS STRONG JUNE SALES

June sales for BMW and MINI increase 6.0 percent.
First half-year sales for the BMW Group up 4.5 percent.

Woodcliff Lake, NJ - July 2, 2007... The BMW Group in the U.S. (BMW and MINI combined) reports strong June sales of 29,394 vehicles, an increase of 6.0 percent over the 27,735 vehicles sold in June 2006. The BMW Group also increased its first half-year sales to 164,338 vehicles, an increase of 4.5 percent, compared to 157,246 vehicles in the same period of 2006.

BMW Brand Sales reach best June and YTD ever

Sales of BMW brand vehicles climbed to reach the best June and best year-to-date figures ever. In June, sales are up 4.3 percent for a total of 25,220 compared to 24,179 reported in the same month a year ago.

Year-to-date BMW brand sales increase 5.4 percent, to 144,579 vehicles compared to 137,220 vehicles sold in first six months of 2006.

BMW Automobile Sales
BMWÔÇÖs automobile sales are up 1.9 percent in June to 20,068 versus 19,695 in the same month a year ago. Year-to-date sales are also up 5.3 percent, to 113,396 automobiles compared to 107,651 in the same period of 2006.

BMW Sports Activity Vehicle Sales
Sales of BMW Sports Activity Vehicles increased by 14.9 percent in June to 5,152 vehicles over the 4,484 sold last June. Year-to-date, sales of BMW Sports Activity Vehicles are up 5.5 percent, to 31,183 vehicles compared to the 29,569 sold in the first six months of 2006.

Certified Pre-Owned
Sales of BMWÔÇÖs Certified Pre-Owned vehicles are slightly down 0.1 percent, to 7,540 vehicles versus 7,550 vehicles reported last June. Year-to-date, CPO sales are down 4.6 percent, to 42,384 over the 44,439 reported in the same period in 2006.

MINI Brand
MINI Automobiles
MINI USA reports June sales of 4,174 automobiles, a strong increase of 17.4 percent, from the 3,556 cars sold in June 2006. Year-to-date, the division reports sales of 19,759 automobiles, a slight decrease of 1.3 percent, compared to the 20,026 cars reported in the first six months of 2006.

BMW Group In America
BMW of North America, LLC has been present in the United States since 1975. Rolls-Royce Motor Cars NA, LLC began distributing vehicles in 2003. The BMW Group in the United States has grown to include marketing, sales, and financial service organizations for the BMW brand, the MINI brand, and the Rolls-Royce brand of Motor Cars; DesignworksUSA, an industrial design firm in California; a technology office in Silicon Valley and various other operations throughout the country. BMW Manufacturing Co., LLC in South Carolina is part of BMW GroupÔÇÖs global manufacturing network and is the exclusive manufacturing plant for all Z4 models and X5 Sports Activity Vehicles. The BMW Group sales organization is represented in the U.S. through networks of 338 BMW passenger car centers, 335 BMW Sports Activity Vehicle centers, 142 BMW motorcycle retailers, 81 MINI passenger car dealers, and 30 Rolls-Royce Motor Car dealers. BMW (US) Holding Corp., the BMW GroupÔÇÖs sales headquarters for North, Central and South America, is located in Woodcliff Lake, New Jersey.

PressClub Canada

BMW Group Canada achieves monthly sales record for the fourth straight month.

Whitby, Ontario. BMW Group Canada reported today an all time best sales record for the fourth consecutive month. June sales increased 38.1% compared to June 2006, representing 3,181 BMW and MINI vehicles retailed. BMW Group also achieved a year-to-date sales record with a sales increase of 22.3% to 14,160 units compared to the same period last year.
BMW Brand: BMW brand sales up 43.2% to achieve monthly sales record.

The BMW brand also set a monthly sales record for the fourth consecutive month. BMW sales were up 43.2% in June 2007 to 2,768 compared to June 2006. The AJAC award winning 3 Series Coup?® and the 3 Series Cabriolet with BMWÔÇÖs first retractable hard top roof both led the way with the largest sales increase in June. Sales of the 3 Series Coup?® and Cabriolet were up 446.7% and 194.2% respectively.

The BMW brand achieved record year-to-date sales of 12,264 units, an increase of 24.2% over last year.

BMW Motorrad Canada set a June sales record with 203 motorcycles sold, up 12.7% from June 2006. Year-to-date, BMW Motorrad has increased sales 31.5% compared to the same period last year with 985 units sold.

BMW Pre-Owned sales for June increased 19.4% to 839 units, 577 of those were Certified units, an increase of 36.41%, compared to June 2006. Year-to-date, 4,466 BMW Pre-Owned units have been sold, 3,370 of those Certified, which is an increase of 16.8% and 28.2% respectively compared to the same period last year.

MINI Brand: Best ever month for MINI.

The MINI brand celebrated another sales record in June by achieving highest ever monthly sales since the brand launched in March 2002. A total of 413 MINIs were sold in June, an increase of 11.6% over June 2006. MINI set a year-to-date sales record of 1,896 units, up 11.2% compared to the same period last year.

MINI Pre-Owned sales in June increased 65.0% to 66 units, with 37 of those units MINI NEXT certified pre-owned vehicle. This is an increase of 2.8% compared to June 2006. Year-to-date, 311 MINI Pre-Owned units have been sold, 191 of which were MINI NEXT, a respective 4.7% and 17.9% increase over the same period last year.

BMW Group Canada, based in Whitby, Ontario, is a wholly-owned subsidiary of BMW AG and is responsible for the distribution of BMW luxury performance automobiles, Sports Activity Vehicles, Motorcycles, and MINI. BMW Group Financial Services Canada is a division of BMW Group Canada and offers retail financing and leasing programs on new and pre-owned BMW and MINI automobiles, as well as retail financing for new and pre-owned BMW Motorcycles. A total network of 39 BMW automobile retail centres, 18 BMW motorcycle retailers, and 22 MINI retailers represents the BMW Group across the country.

PressClub Germany

Company world wide figures.

BMW Group im Juni mit neuem Absatz-H?Âchstwert

Over 150.000 automobiles in one month delivered Growth also plus 15% accelerates clearly

Munich. BMW Group their paragraph growth accelerated clearly for the end of the first half-year 2007. In the June monthly comparison the enterprise increased the number of the automobiles delivered at customers by 15,1% on 150.285 (Vj.: 130.542). Never in its history the manufacturer leading world-wide set so many automobiles off from Premium vehicles in one month. By above average growth once more drew the Chinese markets with a plus of 63,2% on 5.925 units in June 2007 (Vj.: 3.631) out. Russia exhibits likewise a particularly dynamic sales development: The plus amounts to here with 1.502 distribution (Vj.: 845) 77.8%. In addition, Western Europe grew altogether with 15,9% well in two digits. Here BMW Group supplied 90,310 automobiles in June out (Vj.: 77.926).

By June world-wide altogether 730,285 BMW, MINI and Rolls-Royce at customers were handed over (Vj.: 698.482). That corresponds to an increase of 4,6%.

The paragraph of automobiles of the mark BMW reached 127,747 units in the month run off. That is in relation to the appropriate previous year's value (111.650) a plus of 14,4%. Far show above average growth for the first half-year 2007 the world-wide available new model generations BMW of the X5, the 3er Coup?® and the 3er Cabrio. The 3er Cabrio with 7.296 distribution in June 2007 (Vj achieved a historical maximum value.: 2,598/+180.8%). With the X5 the paragraph was with 11.324 units (Vj.: 6,632/+70.7%) were, with the 3er Coup?® it 9,018 automobiles (Vj.: 1,824/+394.4%). By the new BMW 1er Dreit??rer, which is available since at the end of of May this yearly, were delivered in June 3,567 units.

In the entire first half-year 2007 622,415 automobiles of the mark BMW were set off (Vj.: 597,130/+4.2%).

The mark MINI reports a further historical monthly maximum value. Here this yearly became 22,465 units in June (Vj.: 18.819) and thus 19.4% more copies of this world-wide most successful Premium small car delivered than in the previous year month. By June 107,576 MINI of automobiles were sold (Vj.: 101,065/+6.4%).

Rolls-Royce handed 73 over phantom in June 2007 just like in the previous year month into customer hand. In the first half-year the number of the delivered copies rose to 294 (Vj.: 287/+2.4%).

ÔÇ£Defiance of important model changes we already increased the paragraph BMW Group in the first half-year by approximately five per centÔÇØ, so Dr. Michael Ganal, member of the executive committee BMW AG with competence for selling and marketing. ÔÇ£In the next months we want to grow further in two digits. We are very well on the way to increase our paragraph in the whole year 2007 within the higher one-digit per cent range and to obtain new record values with all three marks.ÔÇØ

In the segment the customer distribution are to motorcycle in the month run off about 11.591 units (Vj.: 12.466/7.0%). By June 59,230 BMW motorcycles were handed over at customers, that are in relation to the comparison period of the previous year (56.103) a plus of 5,6%.

BMW Group paragraph in/by June 2007 on a view In June 07 Gg??.
Previous year by June 07 Gg??.
Previous year BMW Group of automobiles 150,285 + 15.1% 730,285 + 4.6% BMW 127,747 + 14.4% 622,415 + 4.2%
MINI 22,465 + 19.4% 107,576 + 6.4%
Rolls-Royce 73 - 294 +2.4%
BMW motorcycles 11,591 - 7.0% 59,230 + 5.6%

Rolls-Royse Motor Car PressClub

ROLLS-ROYCE BOUGHT AT AUCTION FOR ?ú800,000

A Rolls-Royce Phantom Drophead Coup?® has been bought at a charity auction for ?ú800,000. The successful bid was made at the 9th Annual White Tie and Tiara Ball held to raise money for the Elton John AIDS Foundation. Overall the event raised in excess of ?ú6 million, with ?ú3.1 million raised at the auction alone.
The Rolls-Royce was bought by a private buyer who will take delivery of his new car later in the summer. The event took place at the private residence of Sir Elton John and David Furnish.

Rolls-Royce unveiled the new Drophead Coup?® in January this year. The two-door, four-seat convertible is hand made at the companyÔÇÖs manufacturing plant at Goodwood, and combines the latest aluminium technology and engineering with the very best in hand craftsmanship. The result is a car that many have already hailed as the ultimate in convertible motoring. Rolls-Royce has now begun full production of the new car.

Rolls-Royce Motor Cars Chairman and CEO, Ian Robertson, said, ÔÇ£We were delighted that the Phantom Drophead Coupe raised such a significant amount on the night and that Rolls-Royce Motor Cars had the opportunity to support The Elton John AIDS Foundation in their continued fight against this global epidemic.ÔÇØ

Motorsports PressClub

BMW Sauber F1 | Formula 1

Formula1.com : The official Formula 1 website

Back