• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

k75s starter relay

analogman

Apparently my starter relay is welded shut :jawdrop from trying to start the bike with a near dead battery.

Any recommendations on a source or tips for the replacement?

Scott

88 k75s

Apparently my starter relay is welded shut :jawdrop from trying to start the bike with a near dead battery.

Any recommendations on a source or tips for the replacement?

Scott

88 k75s

Any dealer should have the relay. Be sure to fully charge the battery, or get a new one, before starting the bike with the new relay or you risk sticking the new one too.

It is in the box under the rear of the fuel tank, right rear corner with the two big wires.

OK, pulled the starter relay, is there a method I can use to test it?

I have continuity between the 2 small wire stabs but not on any other combination of the 4 stabs.

OK, pulled the starter relay, is there a method I can use to test it?

I have continuity between the 2 small wire stabs but not on any other combination of the 4 stabs.

Just test for continuity from one big (bolt on) contact to the other big contact. If it is stuck you will see continuity.

The bolt on connections are the switched load (battery power to starter). The two small plug in connectors are the relay coil. When power is applied to these connectors, the load connection is made.

On a proper working relay, putting power across the plug in connectors will result in continuity across the bolt on connectors and removing the power opens the circuit across the bolt on connectors. If the circuit doesn't open, the contacts are welded together (caused by trying t o start with a low battery). If the circuit doesn't close when power is applied to the coil, the coil is bad.

:dance:dance:dance

So the small stabs are the coil that is energized when I press the start button.

Large stabs are the contact that is closed when the relay is energized.

Does the coil see 12v when energized or should I use some other voltage to check the contact?

It uses 12v to energize the coil. Be careful, if it contains a suppressing diode internally across the coil (I believe it does, not sure) and you hook it up with the wrong polarity even for a split second it will blow the diode.

Based on the symbol on the relay and testing with a meter, I belive 0 332 002 161 starter relay uses a resistor for supression as opposed to a diode.

That being said, the CORRECT polarity for the coil is terminal 85 (the small terminal that is 90 degrees to the other three) for ground and terminal 86 for 12v+.

:dance:dance:dance

Back