• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Just Can't Have Nice Things....

ricochetrider

Out There Somewhere
Ordered a pair of Michelin Pilot Activ tires for my 89 R100RS. Had them installed and rode the bike home from my airhead buddy's house, taking the scenic route. Got home and was looking at the tires....
there is a NAIL in my rear tire, about 1" off center!
Less than 60 miles on them.
What the bleep.
:banghead

Sorry- had to cry to somebody.

What a bummer. Any luck it didn't go through? Took my bike in for service once and the tech brought me the rear tire to show me a nail when it only had 500 miles on it. He pulled it in front of me and no leak. It was bent over somehow and never punctured the tire.

Take to a reputable shop & have it plugged from the inside.

You should be good to go, I've done it many times.

Yep, I would.

18394d1397798574-patches-vs-plugs-imageuploadedbytapatalk1397798574.035160.jpg

OM

I thought about the plugging route, but I think this is something that I would only do to "get me home", at which time, I'd likely change the rubber. With only two tires, I would probably play it on the safe side.

It happens. I've had similar experiences in the past and was tempted to plug them. But, I would rather have a patch installed inside instead of the plug if I were attempting a repair. That said, I think I would replace the tire and enjoy looking at the new/old tire hanging in the garage.

If you look at the picture in post #4 you will see the large round patch that goes inside the tire, as well as the attached plug portion which when properly installed seals the plies and prevents penetration of water and crud between the plies/belts. A good repair in my opinion. It requires that the tire be dismounted to properly install.

I put a new Metz on the back of my LT that was pretty darn unlucky. It had a nail in it before 125 miles. I put a stringy worm plug in it and kept going. By the time that tire was worn out it had collected 5 nails and screws in it. Yes, I did plug every one of them and none of them ever leaked.

I'll dismount the tire tomorrow, and yes- it'll get the plug from the inside. :wave

IF, by any chance, it goes flat afterwards- or if anything happens, I WILL replace the tire.

I'll dismount the tire tomorrow, and yes- it'll get the plug from the inside. :wave

IF, by any chance, it goes flat afterwards- or if anything happens, I WILL replace the tire.

If it does go flat again, it will be another puncture- not the one you just fixed. Those plugs are great.
OM

Ordered a pair of Michelin Pilot Activ tires for my 89 R100RS. Had them installed and rode the bike home from my airhead buddy's house, taking the scenic route. Got home and was looking at the tires....
there is a NAIL in my rear tire, about 1" off center!
Less than 60 miles on them.
What the bleep.
:banghead

Sorry- had to cry to somebody.

At least you got home. Yesterday I was stuck out in the middle of nowhere with a flat tire. I waited at an abandoned gas station for a tow. :banghead

I would never plug a tire -- or never would have until I watched a friend plug the rear on his KTM 990 Superduke with a slime type. The tire was new and he then rode on it as normal and his normal is to use up a Q3 every 1800 miles. He's at about 1000 and it's held fine.

I put a new Metz on the back of my LT that was pretty darn unlucky. It had a nail in it before 125 miles. I put a stringy worm plug in it and kept going. By the time that tire was worn out it had collected 5 nails and screws in it. Yes, I did plug every one of them and none of them ever leaked.

I have done the same a few times myself. Rode until time to replace the tire. Never had any problems. Maybe I have just been lucky.

I have done the same a few times myself. Rode until time to replace the tire. Never had any problems. Maybe I have just been lucky.

As this thread has progressed, I can now say these plugs work a lot better than most are willing to give them credit. Once I stacked 5 next to each other in a backhoe tire. The multi-plug lasted until the tire was completely worn out.
I have found the real variable is whether the tire was driven flat. A tire that has been driven flat will frequently have a number of issues that disrupt the integrity of the carcass- and will be difficult to detect.
OM

I can't imagine that a backhoe tire generates the heat that a motorcycle tire would. And the consequences is much less catastrophic on the backhoe, I would think. :dunno

If I had a car tire get a puncture in the center of the tread, I think that the tire shop would repair with a patch/plug from the inside...pretty standard...and I've had it done in the past. Again, the issue is a bit more concerning with only two tires on the bike.

As this thread has progressed, I can now say these plugs work a lot better than most are willing to give them credit. Once I stacked 5 next to each other in a backhoe tire. The multi-plug lasted until the tire was completely worn out.
I have found the real variable is whether the tire was driven flat. A tire that has been driven flat will frequently have a number of issues that disrupt the integrity of the carcass- and will be difficult to detect.
OM

I think you may be right about whether the tire was driven flat. All of the tires that I plugged did not deflate as I was riding. Discovered the flat in the garage later and plugged them before any stress was put on the tire.

I think you may be right about whether the tire was driven flat. All of the tires that I plugged did not deflate as I was riding. Discovered the flat in the garage later and plugged them before any stress was put on the tire.

Same here, always found it early. Some while riding, some in the shed. One while washing the bike.
Jeff

Well, to follow up, I had a buddy plug my tire with a sort of arrow-shaped plug, using the 'Stop & Go" tire plugger tool, which is kinda like a pop riveter.

The tire held air for a while, and held the same pressure after a ride of about 20 miles or so, so I took it out for a longer ride. During which the plug jumped ship! I noticed the bike feeling buzzy, so I pulled over and then saw the hole where the screw and plug had once been. I went thru my tool kit and found some CO2 cartridges, a device with which to deploy the CO2, a reamer/inserter tool, and some odd shaped plugs- all in a plug kit.

I couldn't figure the plugs out, and as I stood by my bike looking at them, a guy on a Rocket III pulled over, and as it happened had some of the rope-worm plugs, some glue, and a whole kit along with an air compressor.

SO I got home, and now a couple days later the tire seems to be holding pressure.... I guess I'll take it for a couple shorty rides to see if it continues to hold air, and if it does I might try to trust is again! OR I'll simply bite the bullet and buy a tire from the local BMW dealership who carry additional mileage and damage replacement guarantees as part of the cost of them providing and installing a tire.

Well, to follow up, I had a buddy plug my tire with a sort of arrow-shaped plug, using the 'Stop & Go" tire plugger tool, which is kinda like a pop riveter.

The tire held air for a while, and held the same pressure after a ride of about 20 miles or so, so I took it out for a longer ride. During which the plug jumped ship! I noticed the bike feeling buzzy, so I pulled over and then saw the hole where the screw and plug had once been. I went thru my tool kit and found some CO2 cartridges, a device with which to deploy the CO2, a reamer/inserter tool, and some odd shaped plugs- all in a plug kit.

I couldn't figure the plugs out, and as I stood by my bike looking at them, a guy on a Rocket III pulled over, and as it happened had some of the rope-worm plugs, some glue, and a whole kit along with an air compressor.

SO I got home, and now a couple days later the tire seems to be holding pressure.... I guess I'll take it for a couple shorty rides to see if it continues to hold air, and if it does I might try to trust is again! OR I'll simply bite the bullet and buy a tire from the local BMW dealership who carry additional mileage and damage replacement guarantees as part of the cost of them providing and installing a tire.

I think you will find that installation is the key.......And they ain't that hard to do. :scratch
What went wrong the first time- :scratch
And again, as we progress along- I have 2 of these kits from Safety Seal-

51vJqLtuqPL._AC_UL320_SR286,320_.jpg

And amazed two very well mannered teenagers last weekend out on the ATV trails- "Hey do you have a tire pump", yes- what do you have? "I think I have a flat". I put air in the tire for them and told them to look for a leak. There was one- like someone had drilled a 3/16th hole in the tire. Their faces perked up when I took out one of the above kits, plugged the hole (they had never seen it done before), refilled the tire and were on their way.

I also have the Tech-2Way set-up......It has bead break fluid, bead soap, "scuffers" plugs, glue, prep and flat patches-

RM4kit.jpg

Glad it worked out for you. I think you will be fine.

OM

I am definitely planning on upping my plug game. I just have to run that new tire, can't bear to buy another. Im sure it'll be OK, too. Just put a new rear Pilot Road GT on my K1200 too... So I have a few bucks tied up in rubber lately.

Thanks guys!

Back