• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

is there a trick to putting the headlight ring onto the nacelle ?

brant914

Happy Saturday!
I hope you all have a great weekend

bike is a 1971 R75/5
early enough to have the gauges in the headlight bucket... (norris switch, etc)

I finished the wiring and put a new headlight trim onto an old lens I cleaned up...
trying to install it for my first time ever.... (came to me disassembled)

Is there a Trick ?

the clymer said to put a screw driver into the slot and push for removal... reverse of removal

I can't get it to engage... I moved the retaining-spring clips away from the top and bottom channels where the bucket should engage the lip...
but even with a screw driver.. it just wont quite snap-tight into place.

would someone with more experience lend me any ideas or tips?
thanks in advance.

picture of the ring tab that the screw driver would push on. which I have not had any success with

h.jpg
brant

Not sure but that clip looks different that those I’ve seen on other airheads. Some are a spring clip that goes on as your manual probably describes: locate the notch on the top of the ring at the top of the bucket, and usually the bottom, a spring clip, aligns and the headlight pops in place.

Others have a similar assembly except they have a screw through the clip on the bottom. Align the top, push the bottom in a and tighten the screw until it holds in place. Your clip doesn’t look like it’s a spring clip. Is it riveted in place or is it held by two screws? Could it be flipped because I don’t see how it engages the bucket.

Good luck with it and hopefully someone can share some insight.

So if I understand you this hardware may not have come off the subject bike "(came to me disassembled)"

This is the correct hardware for /5 bike

The screw type hardware mentioned by 6322 is different - R65 type trim ring often used on /5 to mount std H4 bulb.

You say you made sure the spring clips do not interfere at top - that is usually the problem

Clip at bottom will engage lip of bucket when chrome ring is pushed sharply into bucket with heal of hand - never a tool and will click into place.
Never push inward on the glass.

Problem may be that clip at bottom may be bent inward toward reflector and not engage as designed - if so bend it out slightly.

Problem may be the fixture on back of bulb is hitting something in bucket before bottom clip engages (if you cannot push all the way home)

look up from bottom when installing to be sure center part of bottom clip is in the notch in the bottom of bucket - don't look at glass alignment.

It would be helpful to know from you if you can push the ring all the way onto the bucket but it does not stay there or
if the problem is not being able to push the ring in far enough for the bottom clip to engage

This iffy headlight ring design caused many a touring rider to add a small piece of duct-tape at the bottom to make sure the fixture did not pop off after hitting a pothole!

updates..

So I decided to take the lamp out and see how things fit...

discovered it does clip with no bundle of wiring pushing at all
but the engagement is so light.. you can barely feel it with just the ring.
(I'm sure that I was expecting to feel the engagement while I was installing and just missed it.. with some minor pressure from the wiring)

I'm going to re-route and adjust my wiring some more..
but I can't imagine this ring will stay tight even taking the bike off of the center stand....

does anyone have pictures of how people have put a screw into the bucket, or secured the ring with hardware ?
I'm betting someone long ago figured out an improvement on an /2 or older bike with a similar headlight.

I'm wondering if I can drill and tap the tab with a small metric screw?

pictures to retain interestbmw1.jpgbmw2.jpgbmw3.jpgbmw4.jpg

I've heard that one should use a small black zip tie to more securely hold the nacelle/lens in place. It likely would require a new hole to be drilled somewhere at the 6 o'clock position of the bucket.

once the wire mess is gotten out of the way you can bend that bottom tab downward SLIGHTLY to get a more positive click-in

It has probably been bent upward by prior attempts to remove ring by pushing up against it with a screwdriver

then put a 1 inch x 1/2 inch patch of gorilla duct tape on bottom to cover joint between chrome ring and head bucket

use the tape because if one must get into the bucket on a ride for a fuse or bulb the tape can be reused and ziptie may not be available

Thank you both
I'm going to try the screw... maybe zip tie... maybe tape
I'll definitely bend the tab.

its a brand new factory Headlight ring
the bike came to me with half of the headlight wiring ripped out and the lens dangling by a wire with no ring...
but hopefully I can bend it some and improve the engagement also

thank you all
brant

Back