• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

I'm angry, thankful, and disappointed -- rear wheel almost fell off

I think the Gods spared you so that you could continue to ride, not as a sign to quit. You have zero fault here, let's be clear about that, I mean, how many people bring torque wrenches when they pick up a bike from the dealer? But your dealer, who appears to be honest thank goodness, learned that someone wasn't doing their job right and will be making sure that never happens again. Keep riding if you still love it and don't let this discourage you.

I don't think many think this way, but being a motorcycle mechanic is very much like being an aviation mechanic. It's much more important to do it right working on a bike. This is part of the reason I try very hard to do all my own wrenching; I know that I will take my time and do it right.

I've had 9 hours to think about this. You don't realize how much you put your life in the hands of a motorcycle mechanic, more so than an auto mechanic. I've been retired for almost 8 years from a job where, as a computer programmer, I couldn't possibly physically hurt someone if I made a mistake, at least with the software I worked on. But a motorcycle mechanic really can kill someone with a mistake. I'm feeling more and more like hanging up my helmet. I've been riding for over 50 years and maybe I've pushed my luck to the limit and this is fate telling me to quit. I'm really tempted to sell all my bikes. I realize that I should have checked the wheels -- that part is my fault. Maybe my judgement is getting faulty in old age. Maybe it's time.

I’d hate to see you quit riding over this and suggest you just consider it a wake-up call, a reminder that a bike should get a brief inspection before starting any ride.

This type of event serves as a wake-up call to the technician as well, and points out something I really dislike about the way techs operate now. I spent over three years working in service and parts at a MC dealership in the 70s. We had a hard and fast rule in the shop-if you worked on a bike you took it for a short test ride before turning it over to the customer. I chafed at that a bit, as it took time that could have been spent making money on the next job. My wake-up call came on a bike where I had just installed new tires for the elderly owner. I had pushed back the brake pads a bit to ease re-insertion of the wheels, and when I rolled up to the stop sign at a major 4-lane arterial two blocks from the shop I had no brakes front or rear. I knew instantly what was wrong, and with furious pumping recovered front and rear brakes barely in time to stop with the bike on the wrong side of the crosswalk lines. Had the customer been on the bike he’d have probably not have had a clue as to why he had no brakes, nor an idea what to do or the reaction time to act.

So now, I get a bit tweaked when I see a tech hand a serviced bike back to the owner without first taking it for a short spin. And in today’s world, while having a cup of joe at many different dealerships and marques, I see that cold handover happen a lot. Better a tech should discover those loose bolts than the owner-rider.

Best,
DG

I’d hate to see you quit riding over this and suggest you just consider it a wake-up call, a reminder that a bike should get a brief inspection before starting any ride.

This type of event serves as a wake-up call to the technician as well, and points out something I really dislike about the way techs operate now. I spent over three years working in service and parts at a MC dealership in the 70s. We had a hard and fast rule in the shop-if you worked on a bike you took it for a short test ride before turning it over to the customer. I chafed at that a bit, as it took time that could have been spent making money on the next job. My wake-up call came on a bike where I had just installed new tires for the elderly owner. I had pushed back the brake pads a bit to ease re-insertion of the wheels, and when I rolled up to the stop sign at a major 4-lane arterial two blocks from the shop I had no brakes front or rear. I knew instantly what was wrong, and with furious pumping recovered front and rear brakes barely in time to stop with the bike on the wrong side of the crosswalk lines. Had the customer been on the bike he’d have probably not have had a clue as to why he had no brakes, nor an idea what to do or the reaction time to act.

So now, I get a bit tweaked when I see a tech hand a serviced bike back to the owner without first taking it for a short spin. And in today’s world, while having a cup of joe at many different dealerships and marques, I see that cold handover happen a lot. Better a tech should discover those loose bolts than the owner-rider.

Best,
DG
Thanks for the encouragement.

The problem with my bike is that the tech (or someone) rode my bike for 3.0 miles. I assume it was after servicing. And it took me about 10 miles to encounter the problem. Luckily I was still in town and riding slow and not while riding on the interstate.

I don't know. I'll see how this pans out with the dealership. So far so good.

I've never had a bad accident on a bike, one where I was hurt bad. Like all of us, I've come close many times. I don't know . . . I hate to sound whiny like some wus. Just feeling my mortality today.

I think the Gods spared you so that you could continue to ride, not as a sign to quit. You have zero fault here, let's be clear about that, I mean, how many people bring torque wrenches when they pick up a bike from the dealer? But your dealer, who appears to be honest thank goodness, learned that someone wasn't doing their job right and will be making sure that never happens again. Keep riding if you still love it and don't let this discourage you.

I don't think many think this way, but being a motorcycle mechanic is very much like being an aviation mechanic. It's much more important to do it right working on a bike. This is part of the reason I try very hard to do all my own wrenching; I know that I will take my time and do it right.
Thanks for the encouragement. :thumb

I don't know, for the last couple of years I've been thinking that my love of motorcycles and riding is a bit out of wack . . .

I'll admit that this was partly my fault. I used to double-check wheels after new tires were installed, just because then it was the stupid Honda shop or Harley shop. I didn't really think I had to double-check a BMW dealership's svc dept.

NEVER trust anyone other than yourself when it comes to something that important to your safety! Glad you are ok. Believe me, the same doofus that the Honda or Harley shop hires is working at the BMW shop. It didn't used to be that way but it is now. I am grateful that my better half does ALL our bike maintenance other than Warranty work, but I still check things over when I know a wheel, etc. has been off :eek. Again, I'm glad this turned out well for you.:)

I am glad you are OK.

As I age I find my self thinking checklist when I work on the bike. I always check each bolt 2X minimum. Now it will probably be 3X.

Rod

I’d hate to see you quit riding over this and suggest you just consider it a wake-up call, a reminder that a bike should get a brief inspection before starting any ride....
DG

+1. Operative word there is “Any Ride”. It is a slippery slope once you start skipping it for the quick jaunt.

It is the same as pilots who skip or skimp on preflights. Many incident and accident reports start with an inadequate preflight preparation and inspection. The potential risk levels for motorcycles and airplanes are
high but can be managed with discipline and diligence.

Not saying I have never screwed up. I need reminders like this to keep me motivated in my discipline. So “Thanks” for sharing!!

Thank you for sharing as I have never check the wheel bolts immediately after I have had new tires installed. :thumb

I've never experienced your problem, but since I don't wish to have that happen, I will in the future be taking my torque wrench to check as I have an 60 mile ride home after the tires are installed.

This is also the time of year when northerners are eager to get their bikes out. Our long winters mean tires will be 5 psi or more low on air, so don't neglect that. I have seen bikes go by that even from a distance had tires that looked every bit of half-flat...

This is also the time of year when northerners are eager to get their bikes out. Our long winters mean tires will be 5 psi or more low on air, so don't neglect that. I have seen bikes go by that even from a distance had tires that looked every bit of half-flat...

Glad that ended safely for the OP, though maddening for sure. There was a local member who posted recently about same issue commuting into ATX...very scary story.

Tire pressures...

Applies to folks down south, east and west as well:thumb

Tire pressures can change weekly on some bikes...I check daily before one rolls out. A standard pre-ride check doesn't typically address wheel lugs or axle nuts for me, but tire pressure does.

Another member came by to install tires this morning...we talked about this thread and after he reinstalled his wheels, I made a torque wrench pass.

Yes. It's a step in the right direction.

You know, the reason I have BMWs is because of the dealership -- I like them. I like the owner, the bookkeeper, the two sales guys, the service manager, and the parts/cashier guy.
The owner called me today at 9:00 AM. And his dealership, like all m/c dealerships across town, is not open on Mondays. They have arranged to pick up my R1100S at my house tomorrow morning for transport to the shop.

Events are moving in the right direction.

Thanks for sharing your experience with us 75450; it was a great reminder for all of us to perform a T-CLOCS before every ride. (T-CLOCS: Tires and Wheels, Controls, Lights and Electrical, Oil and Fluids, Chassis and Sidestand (motorcycles, daily checklists). Hope your dealer makes it right and you regain your joy of riding!

Bob

At this stage I am impressed with this dealership, the tech's error notwithstanding. The service manager called on Sunday and the owner called on Monday. They are picking the bike up on Tuesday. I strongly suspect they are going to do the right things.

So let me tell a story. I lived in Lawrence, Kansas right about 50 miles from Engle Motors in Kansas City. Over the 20 or so years as a customer I had become good friends with Norman Jones, the owner, and with most of the employees. When I needed helpful advice they were just a phone call away. And on a few occasions when they needed something the phone line ran both ways.

One day I received a call from Norman. He said they had a customer who lived in Manhattan, KS, about 85 miles further west, who had called, stranded in Lawrence because he said there was oil all over his wheel and tire. He thought maybe the drain plug had fallen out of his final drive after a dealer service. He actually noticed when it started and could see the trail of oil. Norman asked me to go see what had happened. He said he would send a trailer if he needed to. I grabbed a quart of gear oil, a spare final drive drain plug, a crush washer, a bunch of rags, a spray can of brake system cleaner, and my tool bag. Sure enough the drain plug had fallen out. I found it near the start of the trail of oil. I called Norman and told him I could handle it.

I installed the drain plug with a new crush washer, filled the final drive, and cleaned the oil off the wheel and tire. We had the rider back on the road within about 30 minutes of his call to the dealership. That earned me a few more favors from the dealership over the years. :)

Last edited:
The motorcycle transport company, contracted by the dealership, just picked up my R1100S and is transporting it to the dealership.

"Preflight" is important

When I used to fly, the only times I had any problems (thankfully all minor) were when I didn't do a complete and thorough preflight inspection.
Unfortunately, I've gotten lazy and don't do a pre-ride check. "Looks good, no drips, and is still vertical. Must be OK." This is a good reminder to stop that and go back to doing a through pre-ride check, especially after maintenance.
The biggest pressure will happen when you are at the dealership and they've said the bike is good to go. They might be a little miffed if you spend a lot of time crawling around checking things but DON'T GIVE IN!
It's your life and well being that's at stake.
Don't quit riding just because of this incident. Be thankful you made it out OK and learn from it. Down the road it'll be a great story to tell around the campfire.

This is probably my last post in this thread . . .

The mechanic who worked on my bike just called me at home to apologize. I was very grateful, didn't yell at him, and thanked him for the call. He obviously felt very bad. This is something he didn't have to do.

So, the service manager called me, the owner called me (twice) and the mechanic called me. To my way of thinking, that's a first class dealership, something I expect from a BMW dealership more than any other brand. The damage was slight, just the caliper and the rotor, which they are replacing.

I consider this incident over. I appreciate all the comments and responses from you guys. Thanks. :thumb

I admire the way the shop handled this and also admire the way you handled it.

Back