• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

GS Rear End Shake/Vibration

orionz06

I've got a 2020 R1250GS that's seen gentle highway and commuting miles, about 7,500. The dealer did the first service, I've done all since. I recently did the oil, final drive oil, and the rear spline check/lube. No rust or issues to speak of. I had a slight vibration, but there were also some super cupped tires from highway use and nothing else to speak of. I went and got new tires put on, and upon installing the wheels, there's more of a vibration under load. No play in the rear wheel, no loose spokes, and no shake in neutral coasting at any speed. Clearly it's something in the driveline, but what am I missing here?

My plan is to tear it apart and check the rear caliper, pivot bushing, front splines, and so on, but this is a little baffling to me.

You are actually running a Wethead so I will move your thread shortly. No need to repost.

Doh! I had too many tabs open looking at things.

Welcome to the forum!

Not for nothing but isn’t the bike still under warranty?

Good luck.

OM

Edit- have you seen this-

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthrea...retrofitted-on-a-total-of-440-000-motorcycles
Still under warranty, but I'm content to do some things based on the time I'd get to keep my bike and cost. If there's a warranty thing that keeps me off this bike for 2 weeks, but may cost $30 and an hour, I'll fix that all day long.

But... It appears to be fine inside. Took it apart again, top and bottom, checked it all. One thing I noted with some coasting, revving, and so on, is that I may just have some more vibes with the new engine oil I did at the same time. On my S1000R and M1000R I'm so used to oil making things so much better, but the GS may need a little more tinkering to find the right stuff.

I went and got new tires put on, and upon installing the wheels, there's more of a vibration under load.

Define "under load". Gear, speed, %throttle and rpm would be helpful. I'm going to make a WAG and say its just the boxer twin demanding more rpm before you grab a handful.

And welcome to the Forum!

Define "under load". Gear, speed, %throttle and rpm would be helpful. I'm going to make a WAG and say its just the boxer twin demanding more rpm before you grab a handful.

And welcome to the Forum!

Any gear, basically when lugging the engine.

I do think I've narrowed things down, but will confirm and report back.

Any gear, basically when lugging the engine.

Forgive me if I'm pointing out the obvious, but why are you lugging the engine?

My R bikes have never really liked Revs below 3K and they are usually happiest over 3200 RPM. My wethead RT does have the "shift light" which would have me short shifting IMO, but I don't do it because the bike doesn't like it. I turned that light off.

If you're not having an issue with the vibration when the revs are over 3200, I'd say you've found your answer, which is not to lug the engine.

Forgive me if I'm pointing out the obvious, but why are you lugging the engine?

My R bikes have never really liked Revs below 3K and they are usually happiest over 3200 RPM. My wethead RT does have the "shift light" which would have me short shifting IMO, but I don't do it because the bike doesn't like it. I turned that light off.

If you're not having an issue with the vibration when the revs are over 3200, I'd say you've found your answer, which is not to lug the engine.

It was just something I noted, not necessarily something I make a habit of. 3200-3500 is a pretty solid sweet spot on mine as well. I bumped my shift light up to redline or close to it.

It was just something I noted, not necessarily something I make a habit of. 3200-3500 is a pretty solid sweet spot on mine as well. I bumped my shift light up to redline or close to it.

ok, this is helpful. If you're still feeling the vibration at this RPM and above, then it doesn't seem normal to me.

Back