• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

I need your lights ! (from those who installed HID Conversion kit to repace Halogen)

begoud

Hi,

I'm looking to buy an H7 HID Conversion kit to replace my Halogens on my BMW R1200GS. I want to put the type without the relay to avoid an error on the canbus system.

I have a few questions :

Wtat is the difference of lumens between the 4300K and the 6000K ? I want the maximum output of light but the whitest color

What is the difference between the ignitor being inside or outside the ballast ?

Do you know anything about slim ballast ? As good as bigger ones ?

Wher did you put the ballast ?

If I install an HID also on the Hi-Beam, is the ballast always charged so I can still 'flash' oncoming vehicles ?

Does the HID bulb reflects the light the same way as my regular Halogen (angle, distortion, ...) ?

Any good brand or place to order to recommend ?

Your comments on installation, use and most important, does it make a big difference ?

Thanks for your anwsers and have a nice day.:type

Hi,

I'm looking to buy an H7 HID Conversion kit to replace my Halogens on my BMW R1200GS. I want to put the type without the relay to avoid an error on the canbus system.

I have a few questions :

Wtat is the difference of lumens between the 4300K and the 6000K ? I want the maximum output of light but the whitest color
4300K will be brighter. Blue'r isn't brighter, and isn't necessarily the best light to see by.
What is the difference between the ignitor being inside or outside the ballast ?
Where it's located.. and the outside ignitor - if on the socket of the bulb, uses a smaller wire going to the ignitor/bulb assembly. The ignitor puts out a high-voltage pulse to start the discharge. It needs well insulated wire to keep from killing someone.
Do you know anything about slim ballast ? As good as bigger ones ?
No idea
Wher did you put the ballast ?
I didn't - haven't done it.
If I install an HID also on the Hi-Beam, is the ballast always charged so I can still 'flash' oncoming vehicles ?
No. ALL HID's require a few seconds to come up to brightness. Using it to flash oncoming vehicles won't work, and will cause more rapid failure of the bulb. On/off cycles are bad for the HID bulb.
Does the HID bulb reflects the light the same way as my regular Halogen (angle, distortion, ...) ?
Hard to say. The bulb doesn't reflect anything. The question is if the discharge is the same size/position as the filament in your bulb. If it isn't - the pattern of your light will be changed, with a good possibility your new bright light may blind oncoming traffic.
Any good brand or place to order to recommend ?
Hella/Bosch are always good - but they don't make adaptor kits.
Your comments on installation, use and most important, does it make a big difference ?

Thanks for your anwsers and have a nice day.:type

My .02

I replaced my low beams with 4300K lights from xenon depot. 4300K is a white light the higher you go will hit green then blue then purple. The lower numbers go to yellow. Very easy installation, I found the beam spread to be similar to the OE. I spent some time to carefully aim the lights and I have only been flashed once while leaning on a turn. If the focal point of the light is different, as stated, because the light is so much brighter it will bother others. I didn't replace the high beam because I wasn't sure if flashing it would shorten the life of the ballast. I did replace it with an overwattage bulb. I augmented the high beam with a set of Hella DE HID driving lights, serious light. The Hellas have the "regular" size ballast with a built in ignitor, the low beam HIDs have the slim ballast with a separate ignitor. I prefer the built in as there is one less thing to anchor. The 4 ballasts easily fit under the dash. I put an on-off switch on the Hellas that in the on position slaves them to the high beam, in the off position they are always off. I installed my lights to a CirKit Boss fuse block. Bottom line I have been very happy with the lights, no regrets. Good luck

Back