• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Those of you that have a 1100RT with a HID headlight conversion , was it worth it?

pbrokaw

Guys and Gals

I am thinking of buying a bike master brand hi/lo beam HID conversion kit. Motorcycle Performance in Middleton has them in stock for $80. After riding about 200 miles in the dark last weekend I really hate the stock beam on the bike. I had some PIAA bulbs but they were short lived in lifespan. The HID is a 6000k white light bulb version.
I figured I would treat myself after putting in my new clutch(doing the work myself so the labor savings can buy some farkles...

I have some 1100 series PIAA driving lights that I have not mounted in the fairing yet, those will go on the bike also. But just running the headlight,does the HID really help?

Thanks

Perry

Hid

The HID on my RS headlight makes a lot of difference. I see much better at night and I am much more visible in daylight.

Yes, HID helps a lot. I don't like the 6000k color though -- too blue for my eyes. 4300k is daylight.

Hid

On the 1100, the HID are awesome. On the 1150, not as big a bang because of the way the low beam is are stacked behind the high beam.
As others said - I wouldn't recommend getting the 6000K bulb. I find that if there is any moisture in the air, the higher wavelenght light will just disappear. The 4300-4600 K bulbs throw a very white light. I have Hella FF50 aux lights, and if I turn them on, their light looks yellow compared to the HID.

Another point to consider.
A buddy of mine put 6000k's in both the high and low. He said in his research before he bought them that the blue tint was more noticeable. My first reaction was, as usual, he's full of bull....
On our trip the the Finger Lakes Rally a week or so ago I had a chance to see what he was talking about. The very faint blue tint made the bike stand out and was more noticeable. I haven't had the chance to see the difference from the riders seat, but from the view of another vehicle, it was different in a good way. It made you take a second glance, sometimes that's all you need.

Another point to consider.
A buddy of mine put 6000k's in both the high and low. He said in his research before he bought them that the blue tint was more noticeable. My first reaction was, as usual, he's full of bull....
On our trip the the Finger Lakes Rally a week or so ago I had a chance to see what he was talking about. The very faint blue tint made the bike stand out and was more noticeable. I haven't had the chance to see the difference from the riders seat, but from the view of another vehicle, it was different in a good way. It made you take a second glance, sometimes that's all you need.

For me, seeing beats out being seen when it comes to HID color temp. I've got seat time with 6000k and 4300k bulbs. I'm keeping the 4300k. There are plenty of other things you can (and should) do for conspicuity.

Recently switched the low beam on my 2004 RT to a HID. Even the 4300K bulb is noticeably more white/blue than the stock halogen. This provides a lot of the "visibility" advantage without the disadvantages noted for the 6000K bulbs.

The light output is significantly greater than stock. I am very happy with the upgrade.

The more blue the light is, the less light actually comes from the bulb. That's a scientific fact, not an opinion. It may appear better visible because of the blue colour (it's different), but it's not more (measurable) light. You'd have the same effect if it were a yellow or amber effect in it.

The 4300K lights are the best. The light is bright and white and it has the most measurable light compared to higher colour temperatures.

I'm nog a big fan of HID conversion. That is, for older bikes. I have a '97 R850RT and in my opinion my headlight is not suitable for HID conversion without changing the whole headlight. The glass is made for the dispersal pattern of an Halogen bulb and not for a Xenon lamp. What I see when I meet another BMW (like mine) with a HID conversion job (usually the cheaper ones), is a big blob of light. Quite irritating and blinding. The driver sees a sea of light and thinks it's brilliant. But he doesn't know what he's doing to the people he drives towards or behind. You're blinding the people throught the mirrors or when facing them.

A Xenon lamp should be in a headlight that's made for Xenon (or a Halogen projector lamp). When the headlight is nog suited for HID conversion, you're not actually doing anything for safety, but you're just irritating for your fellow road-users.

A friend of mine has it on his GS and that particular model has a projector lamp. The HID conversion works perfectly. The only thing that other people should notice of your HID conversion is that you beam appears brighter and the light whiter. Not a blinding sea of light. That's not the goal of a Xenon headlight.

Back