• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

How I love my RT...

dbaliko

I have an '07 R1200RT that I bought several months ago after riding cruisers for 25 years. Prior to the RT I had several large metric cruisers. At most I could ride 500 miles on a cruiser. Even with good quality aftermarket seats. After riding 200 miles or so I would be really looking forward to fuel stops at 150 miles or so and my butt would be literally burning at 500 miles. Not fun. Especially since I really enjoy long distance touring riding.

I just came back yesterday from a 7 day 3500 mile riding week in Colorado. I rode from Dallas to Gunnison Colorado, which is about 835 miles one way in one shot. I never in a million years thought that would have been possible after my cruiser experiences! I was a little antsy the last 125-150 miles, but not in pain at all. I do have an aftermarket seat (Touratech Kahedo) which at first I thought was way too hard, but now that it's broken in is a real joy. In addition to the 800+ mile ride there and back I rode every day anywhere from 300-450 miles on day trips. No pain. No monkey butt. Nothing!

Before I got my RT I was always afraid of making the switch to the sport touring riding position from the cruiser seating position. Now I can honestly say that I waited about 15 years too long to figure out that the seating position on a sport touring bike is way better than that of a cruiser for long distance riding.

So far I'm very pleased!

Doug

Great!!

Ride that R1200RT as often as you can - like any BMW, when all systems are working properly, it's poetry in motion.

Enjoy it and take another journey soon! :clap

I'm right with you, Doug!

After decades of riding Harleys, I absolutely LOVE my RT. It's the best bike I've ever owned!

Ditto!

I'm with you Doug, I just got back from a 2500-3000 mile trip to the Finger Lakes Region of New York followed by a trip to the Blue Ridge Parkway. I too have an aftermarket seat, a Russell Day-Long and I did 850-900 miles on my last day coming home. The RT is a perfect touring bike and the electronic cruise control is fantastic. The only thing I need to do is add some highway pegs so I can stretch my legs a little and I'll be all set. Best bike I've ever had. Don:heart

Love my RT as well.

I do not have the cruiser experience to compare to. But I bought an 05 RT last fall after 20 years of not driving 2 wheels. I agree on the comfort. I have a buddy with a Cruiser and he often comments on the RT riders posture and leg positions.

I recently took a trip around Lake Superior. Even though I never went over 400 miles in a day the RT was excellent. Curves, rain, heat, cold, tar snakes, grated bridge surfaces, wind it took it all in stride.

It begs the questoin of how much the precise control and handling of the bike contribute to overall relaxation and comfort. Whatever the cause, the comfort factor is appreciated.

I wish I could say the same!

All systems are go except for the seat/butt combo. 200 or so miles and i can hardly sit still in the saddle! I wish I knew which after market seat would fix this because I am afraid to drop a bundle on a seat that may or may not fix the problem.

I'm with you on the seat. The rest of the bike is great (when it's all working right) but the seat is a killer. I had the $1k for a seat last Christmas but I thought of my kids and spent it on them as opposed to myself. Some day, maybe just get a roadglide ultra and slow down. My wife hasn't been on the RT all summer with me because she hates the seat. If I got the roadglide she would probably ride with me and that would mean I would ride more.

Seat

I used the R1200RT stock seat in last year's 2000 trip. Quite a painful experience. I thought I made a mistake in buying the bike. The reason for the RT purchase was to do some long distance runs and I could not do it with that setup.

The seat on my old '83 Honda 650 Turbo is far superior. I took Turbo on a similar length trip just a few months before, so I had a direct comparison. To be fair, my butt is used to the Turbo seat, but I could not get comfortable on the stock RT seat, so an aftermarket was in order.

The Russell Day-Long transformed the R1200RT for me. The seat was a joy during my recent 5400 mile trip.

It is a little more difficult for me to get on and off, but not bad. Also makes my feet a bit harder to be planted on the ground. Both issues are a small price to pay for the comfort it provides me.

Good luck

Double Ditto Dean!

Double Ditto Dean,

You've basically told my story with the Russell Day-Long Saddle and I couldn't agree with you more. The benefits of the Russell make it well worth dealing with the additional height issues. Russell Day-Long is the best farkle I've ever added to a motorcycle. Don

I wish I could say the same!

All systems are go except for the seat/butt combo. 200 or so miles and i can hardly sit still in the saddle! I wish I knew which after market seat would fix this because I am afraid to drop a bundle on a seat that may or may not fix the problem.

Consider a Sargent (which I have and love) or a Russell.

Both have good reputations and will transform the comfort-level of an R1200RT.

Good Luck! :clap

Am I the only one for whom the stock seat works?
It would appear so.

I dig my '07. For the really long range stuff it's my bike of choice.

I gotta agree with you Weez, the stock seat on my '99 (w/ a bead rider) suits me just fine.

I gotta ask though, why such an emphasis on miles? I can spend 10 HOURS in the saddle and only add 300 or 400 miles (Twisties vs Slab). I guess I've never understood doing mega miles on the slab just for the sake of miles :stick

BMW seats.

I gotta agree with you Weez, the stock seat on my '99 (w/ a bead rider) suits me just fine.

I gotta ask though, why such an emphasis on miles? I can spend 10 HOURS in the saddle and only add 300 or 400 miles (Twisties vs Slab). I guess I've never understood doing mega miles on the slab just for the sake of miles :stick

Just like you I never had any problems with my seats either, and ride my bikes exclusively on the back roads.

seat miles and time

Back roads with twisties are certainly different (for seat comfort and time) vs that the super slab. Its different moving around on the bike vs being in one spot for extended time like you would be on the slab.

My 5400 mile Banff trip contained lots slab time. Why? Not because I wanted to, but because with a limited number of vacation days, I wanted to get thru the Great Plains ASAP; finding and spending as much time as possible on the roads that some of you are blessed with.

Am I the only one for whom the stock seat works?
It would appear so.

I dig my '07. For the really long range stuff it's my bike of choice.

Not at all.

At last count, there were 27 other Beemer owners (globally) who like the stock seats! :stick

Well, make it 28. I am able to do 800-1000 mile days on my stock '95 R11RS seat. The bike came with a Corbin also, but I prefer the stocck one.

I love my '07 RT also... I bought the lowered stock seat and love it. I can reach both feet flat footed at a stop now... no more tippy toe action at the stop signs. Some day, when funds allow it, I will buy an aftermarket seat, but for now... the lowered seat works great.

Ride safe.

Me too on the Russell. I can't ride to the city limits on a stock seat. I tried the Sargent on my F 650 and it's not working. The Russell is on my RT and it looks like I'm going to have to put one on the 650.

Back