• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Holt design organization tank repaint

jsey

Maybe someone out there can shed light on this. Almost 2-1/2 years ago I contacted Kent Holt to re-paint my 1978 R100RS gas tank. He said he would but told me not expect it right away. At the time I didn't think that meant 2-1/2 years. I think I've called him maybe twice in this 2-1/2 year period and certainly think that honored his request not to be hounded but never a return call. I just tried texting him had was informed that my number was blocked so the message didn't go through. Not sure what to do next. Any ideas short of getting in my car car and driving 10 hours?

Looks like you were the last one to post about this a year ago based upon one of the Similar Threads posts below. Sounds like you really have no option but to physically go there. Is there anyone in the Anonymous Book who might be more local that could scope things out before you commit to driving there?

I put an address which I think is Kent Holt Organization, based upon their contact page info. It's 9000 Cycle Lane, Athens OH. I did a google street view of that address. It's not pretty. An overgrown building is what I see. Maybe the address is wrong, but doesn't look good.

Looks like you were the last one to post about this a year ago based upon one of the Similar Threads posts below. Sounds like you really have no option but to physically go there. Is there anyone in the Anonymous Book who might be more local that could scope things out before you commit to driving there?

I put an address which I think is Kent Holt Organization, based upon their contact page info. It's 9000 Cycle Lane, Athens OH. I did a google street view of that address. It's not pretty. An overgrown building is what I see. Maybe the address is wrong, but doesn't look good.

Yup I think that address is correct. It's surprising in that the guy has quite a reputation for doing incredible work. Yes that was me a year ago

Kent repaired and painted my G/SPD tank and bodywork about 2 years ago, it took a lot of cajoling and a local friend to get this done, two round trips to Ohio to bring my parts to him and pick them up months later.

The work was exquisite, expensive and worth the money.

The building Kurt mentions is/was his studio, and prior to that, his BMW dealership. It’s an old modified Quonset hut that looks really tatty. He stopped being a BMW dealer when BMW NA started making dealers spend millions of dollars to upgrade their buildings and showrooms. Kent was one of the last old-style dealers.

I hear through the grapevine that he is no longer painting.

Ian

i-L3H8sBV-X2.png

i-mNdqtz5-X3.jpg

Kent repaired and painted my G/SPD tank and bodywork about 2 years ago, it took a lot of cajoling and a local friend to get this done, two round trips to Ohio to bring my parts to him and pick them up months later.

The work was exquisite, expensive and worth the money.

The building Kurt mentions is/was his studio, and prior to that, his BMW dealership. It’s an old modified Quonset hut that looks really tatty. He stopped being a BMW dealer when BMW NA started making dealers spend millions of dollars to upgrade their buildings and showrooms. Kent was one of the last old-style dealers.

I hear through the grapevine that he is no longer painting.

Ian

i-L3H8sBV-X2.png

i-mNdqtz5-X3.jpg

Thanks Ian,
He has my tank and a 50% down payment for all of this time presumably he would send it all back if he decided to quit. Hard to wrap your head around this.

You might want to contact the city or other organizations local to Athen, OH, and ask them about the situation. You aren't the only person who has been left high and dry. There must be a process or someone else there that can get you in touch with the right people for some kind of resolution. Clearly getting your property back is top of the list. You may still be making that long road trip to Ohio!

Here's what it looked like in 2014. I liked the old style dealers like that.

P1020017.JPG

P1020019.JPG

Thanks Ian,
He has my tank and a 50% down payment for all of this time presumably he would send it all back if he decided to quit. Hard to wrap your head around this.

Oh, dang... I didn't realize he had your parts. I thought you were just waiting to hear from him that he's ready to start.

Check your PMs, I have sent you contact information for someone local to Kent who may be able to help.

Ian

Oh, dang... I didn't realize he had your parts. I thought you were just waiting to hear from him that he's ready to start.

Check your PMs, I have sent you contact information for someone local to Kent who may be able to help.

Ian

Thanks Ian!

Guys, let's get back to the point of seeing what jsey can do to get his parts back!! :wave

I had a recent chat with a longtime and current BMW dealer.
We both agreed neither of us miss the "good old days" of dark, damp, dank, mouldering "mom and pop" BMW motorcycle dealerships.
Nor do we much miss the wheezing old, nearly obsolete when new moto-heaps BMW was peddling back then.

I don't miss them. Try buying a jacket back then. You get to wait a couple weeks for it to show up and see if it even fits. It's no wonder we all bought Aerostichs.

And good luck to you if the owner decided for some reason that they didn't like you.

I like to do business with professionals and oftentimes, the folks running those little dealerships were far from professional in their business practices.

Your experience may vary, but that was mine.

The Bloodworth’s in Nashville were old school. Literal mom and pop. Very small showroom and a bit crowded. One side was BMW, the other was Ducati. Virginia and David retired just recently and sold the shop. It was a good experience for me but you had to stay on their good side. They were getting cranky near the end.

There are good paint shops all over the country. You just have to know where they are. I found one in Oneonta AL and he is awesome. Only paints motorcycles. Lots of collision work and customization. He color matched the outer halves of my side cases to match the bike and it turned out beautifully for $600.

20230801_143424_Original.jpeg20230801_143424_Original.jpeg

There are good paint shops all over the country. You just have to know where they are. I found one in Oneonta AL and he is awesome. Only paints motorcycles. Lots of collision work and customization. He color matched the outer halves of my side cases to match the bike and it turned out beautifully for $600.

+1. Same experience here in central Florida.

So

I feel sorry for Mr. Holt, sometimes it sucks getting old and we find we can't do the things we want to or used to do.

Frankly, I have been hearing about his work for years. Not throwing rocks at him but I have found painters in my area who could do just as good a job for far less money.

My last paint job was done by a guy who custom paints Harleys. god forbid! As for his work, it is spot on for quality and value costing me less than shipping to Holt and having them do the work. So, I didn't use Glasurit paint, I am not entering into a concourse show any time soon. Gee a non BMW painter doing just as good, what a concept.

I miss the moldering dank dark little BMW shops near me. Back when I bought my last BMW bike, there were five of them within a 70 mile radius. Thank you BMW for closing them down in the 90's so I could have the BMW experience. I didn't know how good it could be.

So I lose five dealers and gain one modern BMW dealership. First thing, oh, your bike is too old for me to work on it! Second, You want me to work on your bike, buy one from me. HA, what a joke. Fast forward some years and this guy wants to retire, great, no one wants the dealership, he closes. No dealer now within 200 miles.

A local BMW car dealership decides they want to take on the bike sales, build a new showroom for cars and bikes, start selling and working on bikes only to have BMW pull the dealership due to a floor space issue. Again no dealer near by.

Even when there was a dealer near by and I really had to have that fancy expensive BMW jacket, I still had to order it and wait for it to come in, try it on to see if it fit. So no advantage to me having a dedicated clothing space. It cost money to stock shelves and even a mega dealer limits the amount of stuff they stock.

I quit BMW in 1984, Oh I still ride BMW bikes, I just won't be buying a newer one. I did a couple of months ago think about buying something new, then I calculated the cost of the bike, consumables, repairs, maintenance, and finally lack of dealership. I will stick with my old twin. Thanks for nothing BMW. St.

I feel sorry for Mr. Holt, sometimes it sucks getting old and we find we can't do the things we want to or used to do.

Frankly, I have been hearing about his work for years. Not throwing rocks at him but I have found painters in my area who could do just as good a job for far less money.

My last paint job was done by a guy who custom paints Harleys. god forbid! As for his work, it is spot on for quality and value costing me less than shipping to Holt and having them do the work. So, I didn't use Glasurit paint, I am not entering into a concourse show any time soon. Gee a non BMW painter doing just as good, what a concept.

I miss the moldering dank dark little BMW shops near me. Back when I bought my last BMW bike, there were five of them within a 70 mile radius. Thank you BMW for closing them down in the 90's so I could have the BMW experience. I didn't know how good it could be.

So I lose five dealers and gain one modern BMW dealership. First thing, oh, your bike is too old for me to work on it! Second, You want me to work on your bike, buy one from me. HA, what a joke. Fast forward some years and this guy wants to retire, great, no one wants the dealership, he closes. No dealer now within 200 miles.

A local BMW car dealership decides they want to take on the bike sales, build a new showroom for cars and bikes, start selling and working on bikes only to have BMW pull the dealership due to a floor space issue. Again no dealer near by.

Even when there was a dealer near by and I really had to have that fancy expensive BMW jacket, I still had to order it and wait for it to come in, try it on to see if it fit. So no advantage to me having a dedicated clothing space. It cost money to stock shelves and even a mega dealer limits the amount of stuff they stock.

I quit BMW in 1984, Oh I still ride BMW bikes, I just won't be buying a newer one. I did a couple of months ago think about buying something new, then I calculated the cost of the bike, consumables, repairs, maintenance, and finally lack of dealership. I will stick with my old twin. Thanks for nothing BMW. St.

I’m not interested in lying on my deathbed wishing I had done ANYTHING!

Go ahead ST, scratch that itch…….live a little more.

OM

I see lots of interesting and uninteresting comments on the state of BMW dealerships and BMW motorcycles but at the heart of this thread is what I see to be a sad tale of some type: probably aging.

It seems that Holt Design took on some work it is incapable (for some reason) to complete. And some people's parts are there at Holt's and have not been retrieved.

So I will re-pose some previous questions. Does anybody actually know the status of Mr. Holt's health? Does anybody know how to get in direct contact with Mr. Holt to expedite the retrieval / return of these parts?

Current

In all honesty I have what I consider the nearly perfect motorcycle, I had two until I wrecked one. I ride pretty much as much as I can, so I won't be on a death bed regretting much as far as motorcycling goes. Meanwhile the money I would spend to buy a newer bike has gone to pay for a car, and a couple of trips. Even with rebuilding my R80RT a few times I am still ahead of the game money wise versus buying a 23 RT. St.

Back