• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

hitch mounted bike carrier

Hi
looking for an easy way to carry a /5 with a van. I have seen big full dressed bikes on the back of motorhomes. If you have info or experience let me know.
I have two trailers and a van but have problems with each of them. What to do with trailer when not using it. Unloading work van and reloading, ramps, etc. I see big bikes on these trailer hitch mounted carriers and am considering it.
Thanks
Brian

There is one past thread about this in the Similar Threads pane below. Also do a google site search:

site:forums.bmwmoa.org hitch mounted carrier

mototote.com

works well for my /2,/5/R65/R100RS on 2007 Dodge(Mercedes) Sprinter 2500

Have used 2yr no probs easy to mount/dismount 75yr old fart with bad back

best use this sort of thing on long wb veh with short rear overhang
for veh stability

Hi
looking for an easy way...
wul guess we'll stop right there fella! luck be yours ..

but I've carried 430# of joyride on this single track hitch mount (pix), hanging from an already too-stressed van ( 1500 class w/ conversion)
By most not all of the numbers, its within sane limits.
isnt a class 3 = tongue load of 500 # ? Track & Rack is maybe 80 itself.

Didnt have any particular issues driving nor try to set any records.

I strapped the tires to the track , so it was impossible to shift LR

The biggest problem was how to tie off the top of the bike; there are no anchor points exposed on my rig and the bigger bike is pretty smooth too,
but there are a lot more attachments points possible on a airhead. There are retractable outriggers on this platform rack , but they are not awe inspiring;

Just some exposed door hinges on van would be plenty stout enough , but on mine the only thing to do was thread some straps through flip windows - not a great plan atall, weak + very inconvenient .
Also you need think of how to keep it from slamming forward onto the doors while hard stopping;

Maybe run tie downs through hollow pipes with padded ends ; the pipe acts as a stiff rod between a mount (exposed door hinge) and the bike;
Between the strap & the pipe, bike will not fall either front / back

Its center mounted, so it torques around the mount tube too - which can seem spooky.
There is a ridiculous little locking collar designed ( poorly ) for anti-rotation.

If I was doing this a lot, I'd want two tubes welded to van frame supporting the track, then I'd probably luv it .
Probably not hard to weld 2 receivers , one to each to frame, for easy(er) removal. hmmmm

This one is a versahaul and its even got a set of lights! lol
Not only got lights BUT ! its a 2" receiver too! , to be link between tow and another toad, in case we trailerin to Crazytown .....

In all honesty, I wouldnt want to make a habit of a track rack like this one exactly with more than a small scooter ; load / unload is a pain, not risk free, and not quick .
There is a loading ramp of course, aka a whole new way to risk a bike/van interaction.
Got help on every trip? its definitely an awkward job

I got this hitch along with a bike deal and while its a keeper for fetching the odd bike, bringing along small rides & general hard times, I wouldn't buy one by plan .
cos the only thing worse than tugging a big bike on one of these , is showing up somewhere twisty without 2 wheels

bike rack - 1.jpeg

Last edited:
I acquired a piece of cat walk ( like up in the rafters of a industrial plant ) about 8' x 2' from the back alley of the Dearborn works
Cat walk is definately a surplus / scarp yard findable item..

Cat walk is made of steel straps set vertical , hole punched to take rod through holes, all welded up.
They are incredibly stiff assemblys.

It was easy to bolt that cat walk plank it to a fairly craptastic axle set from a small wheel trailer.
I thought it was great. Cheap, strong like bull, easy load, small, fairly stable, too heavy but on wheels, too ugly to steal,

Probably would have got a lot more than the ~ 10Kmi of trips I got out out of it , if the wheel bearing had not turned to lava.
I kept the bearings somewhat seviced, but trailer wheel RPM@ highway becomes a problem with smaller wheels.

I would make another one of those on a better axle before buying a real grown up bike trailer but thats just poverty talkin

Might want to check weight limit on your hitch before starting your search.
OM

I have been carrying motorcycles on the back
of vans since 1972 in this general way.

Well over half a million miles

Attached pics are Mototote on 2007 Sprinter Van

Attachments

• VanCarryBike800.jpeg
    VanCarryBike800.jpeg
    430.9 KB · Views: 87
hitch mount bike carrier

Hi guys
Thanks for all the responses. To answer a few questions 2020 chevy express 2500, 500 lb receiver. I have 4 airheads, 1 88RT, and 3 toasters. I do basic maintenance but save the machine shop work and all electrical work for the shop. So I will be using this ramp to drop and pick up the bike from the shop, maybe only a few times a year. I looked at "mototote" and a few others. Any other personal favorites I should consider?
Thanks you guys are a big help.
Brian

I have one of these-

9B4FA21F-BBF0-458C-A0EF-A72CC7BEE28F.png

It’s a nice, full featured hitch mount motorcycle carrier. On the motorhome, I added two more receivers to pick up the ends of the carrier.
These work well but they don’t seem to take into consideration the “twist” on the vehicles receiver which, in my opinion, is much worse than the static load (rating).
A guess would be that you will be at capacity (500lbs) which would be ok under very controlled circumstances but since when have roads been controlled…..especially lately.
I would stick to the trailer or bikes that don’t bring the weight so close to the limit(s).
OM

http://www.versahaul.com/vhsportro.php

Bought used hitch mount carrier

Hi guys
Thanks for all your responses, I appreciate it. After looking at different carriers I took a look on craigslist and found one in Cambridge, about 11 miles from my Quincy home. I don't know the brand but it is rated for 600lbs, in pretty good shape and $200. Problem solved I hope. Looking forward to using carrier to shuffle bikes to shop.
Thanks
Brian

Back