• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Highway Pegs for a 2010 RT

I have the Ilium and I like the way they look. They seem to be high quality, but there are some inherent design defects that you have to watch our for. A spring loaded ball bearing locks into detentes in the peg to keep it open and closed. My bearing locked up. Don't force it. Remove the peg and lubricate the bearing first. I tried to use force to close the peg and the bearing cut a trench into the peg so it would not stay open or closed on its own.

Second problem is the right peg fell off after riding one day. Make sure that the hinge bolt is tightened with RED loctite. In fact, make sure all the bolts have at least blue loctite on them.

So, they are well made, but they need frequent examination and care. Since both incidents occurred within the one year warranty, Ilium sent me the replacement parts. However for the second problem I had to email and call them multiple times. They were more interested in getting their limited supply out to new paying costumers. If I didn't nag them i would probably have waited until the snow fell.

As for comfort, I can only ride with my legs on them for a few minutes at a time. The engine heads get in the way. But those minutes give big relief to my sore legs so to me they are worth having.

I have only had mine for a couple of months...so far so good on everything working properly. Based on where I have my pegs mounted the engine is not in the way. The fairings are not in my way either.

I am 5'8" with 30" inseam.

Glad I found this thread. My Illium pegs shipped today and I'm looking forward to having them before I take a trip out west at the end of the month. Ron, from Illium Works, pulled some strings to ship my order early so I could have them for my trip (he told me not to tell anyone - oops). So far, I'm pleased with their customer service.

I'm new to BMWs and I am thrilled at all of the aftermarket parts that are available. I rode a Honda ST for the last four years and aftermarket parts seemed so limited, especially for a bike that hasn't changed in 10 years. Almost too many options for my feeble mind.

I will be able to comment on peg performance when I get back from my 17 day trip. I figure we will ride around 6K miles or so. The pegs should get plenty of use.
Mike

Back