• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Here's to quality design and construction! (and just good luck)

Crashing and Concussions

I used to ride a 1999 BMW R1100RT. I absolutely loved it. Everything I wanted in a bike. It was just broken in (21k miles) and purring.

I was rear-ended by a car two days ago. I was stopped at a traffic signal and the car hit me from behind at full speed (25 to 30 MPH). The impact drove me and the bike forward into the stopped SUV in front of me. Parts all over the road. I'm pretty sure the bike is totaled. But the really amazing part? Except for minor abrasions I appear to be perfectly OK! I've been to the hospital, had all the tests and imaging. No broken bones, nothing. Looks like the R1100RT absorbed most of the energy. Plus, I was sitting high enough so the impact of the car behind me (Mustang) was below me at the rear wheel level. Of course, I was wearing a Shoei helmet, which helped, too.

So, here's to excellent design and construction!

This was my first BMW motorcycle. Now I have another reason to love it. Already looking at the new R1250RT. Beautiful bike.

So glad you weren't permanently injured or killed. Concussions are nasty business indeed. I've hit and survived two deer strikes.

The 2nd one laid me out cold for about 30 min. (very rural area of northern MI) and if not for my full face Shoei and leathers, I'm sure it would have been a permanent "laid out".

Be very careful with the concussion. For about two weeks, my head was totally scrambled, couldn't be around anyone talking, loud noises, loud lights, or else I would get a migraine. I have a sad appreciation for those NFL guys who think they're gonna be fine later in life after all those shots to the head. :(

I have installed a TIR strobe light (red) on the rear fender of all of my bikes. This TIR light is similar to that found on law enforcement and emergency vehicles. Most of these types of lights have multiple blink patterns from which to choose. I use a blink pattern that is three rapid red flashes followed by a brief pause then the pattern repeats. This strobe light is set to illuminate while my brake light is on. I have aimed the light to be horizontal (versus slightly pointing upward as would be the case if directly mounted to the fender). I use some small plastic spacers and a grinder to set the angle for the strobe lights. My goal is not to blind the car directly behind me, but rather to get the attention of someone a hundred or more yards back. Such a continuously flashing light is not legal in some states; it is ok in NC where I now live. Many states have an ordinance prohibiting making one's vehicle appear as an emergency vehicle. I can make an argument that this supplemental brake light is not easily confused with an emergency vehicle, but is a safety feature in this age of distracted drivers.

It was a bit of a challenge to get this fitted to a bike using CANBUS. On my 2018 R1200RTW I discovered that the black-grey-yellow wire in the rear cowl does not use PWM to drive the brake light. This wire is used for the aux LED on the optional top box and works to drive the TIR strobe. Following is an image of one such light; there are many similar options available. Links are provided to a few examples -

View attachment 75357

https://www.amazon.com/Swift-Emerge...rds=swift+tir&qid=1566330790&s=gateway&sr=8-7

https://www.amazon.com/NanoFlare-Pa...r+lamphus+red&qid=1566331848&s=gateway&sr=8-4

https://www.amazon.com/Abrams-T3-R-...CYC302N6Z2E&psc=1&refRID=M6WYCYWG4CYC302N6Z2E

https://www.amazon.com/Whelen-Engin...330730&s=gateway&sprefix=TIR3,aps,133&sr=8-31

Here in NY i had a heck of a time getting my Triumph to pass inspection with a simple three flashes and then steady...HIS close reading of NYS guidlines precluded flashing brake lights- I'd rather be safe than legal!

Last edited:
Here in NY i had a heck of a time getting my Triumph to pass inspection with a simple three flashes and then steady...HIS close reading of NYS guidlines precluded flashing brake lights- I'd rather be safe than legal!

A lot of states allow you to have a pulsating/flashing light, but only a certain amount of times before it must turn steady. (I believe California is the most strict). Both the Admore Lighting System and the Skene System I use have the ability to change the amount of flashes before it turns. The Admore goes a step further by flashing a white light (not illegal?) for a further five seconds after the red light turns steady.

For example the Tennesee law states "No non-emergency vehicle shall operate or install emergency flashing light systems such as strobe, wig-wag, or other flashing lights in tail light lamp, stoplight area, or factory installed emergency flasher and backup light area; provided, however, that the foregoing prohibition shall not apply to the utilization of a continuously flashing light system. For the purposes of this part, “continuously flashing light system” means a brake light system in which the brake lamp pulses rapidly for no more than five (5) seconds when the brake is applied, and then converts to a continuous light as a normal brake lamp until the time that the brake is released."

Either way, I'll gladly keep it on my bike and pay the fine.

Got Hyperlights in my old KRS, by PO. Work great. Slow continuous flashs when brakes applied. Mounted in stock lens, a row of four small light stacks outside main rear bulb, likely as many here.

They get the rear driver's attention unlike the standard brake light in my other BMW. All I gotta do is touch the brakes lightly before shfiting down, touch again and so forth. The drivers behind always come up with lots of space slowly. Great! Marvelous safety gadget.

So, what exactly do our highly intelligent lawmakers have a problem with motorcycle safety, in this case? They think my bike looks like an emergency vehicle? For a few seconds? Have never seen a motorcycle sitting by side of road, brakes on, brake light flashing constantly. Never.

If I'm last in line I do flash any approaching cars. Then I sit in neutral, which I'm sure is also against the law, and MCS course work.

Just when you think you've heard it all, another beauty comes over the airwaves. So, cut the wires and get smashed, thanx for nothing.

From the Motorcycle Safety Foundation's Motorcycle Operators' Manual, p 25 -

Brake Light
Your motorcycle’s brake light is usually
not as noticeable as the brake lights on
a car — particularly when your taillight
is on. (It goes on with the headlight.)
If the situation will permit, help others
notice you by flashing your brake light
before you slow down
. It is especially
important to flash your brake light

before: