• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Help! 2023 R1250RT - OEM Topcase available with central locking operation?

I understand that, but he was actually paying out the money to his relatives. The only issue was they did not work for the company.

I am not certain that is illegal.

Except that in the larger sense, by avoiding paying business taxes on the money he was reporting as expense, he was screwing the rest of us by avoiding paying the taxes he rightly should have been paying. Tax avoidance is great and legal. Tax evasion through shell "employees" and other misrepresentation of financial assets is not.

Tax crimes are real crimes. Ask Al Capone.

For reference: https://www.wolterskluwer.com/en/expert-insights/tax-avoidance-is-legal-tax-evasion-is-criminal

And if "PoorUSB" recalls accurately, that dealership needs to be reported.

Crap like this really gets me steamed.

The guy sold out and retired, so not much can be done now. Plus I am not a witness to it, only hearing about it from employees. If they will not do anything about it, there is nothing I can do. I doubt the IRS will go after a closed business on hearsay.

Except that in the larger sense, by avoiding paying business taxes on the money he was reporting as expense, he was screwing the rest of us by avoiding paying the taxes he rightly should have been paying. Tax avoidance is great and legal. Tax evasion through shell "employees" and other misrepresentation of financial assets is not.

Tax crimes are real crimes. Ask Al Capone.

For reference: https://www.wolterskluwer.com/en/expert-insights/tax-avoidance-is-legal-tax-evasion-is-criminal

I would like to see one example of where a business owner got in trouble for what pretty much amounts to over paying your employees. Keep in mind the "employed" relative's pay was properly taxed and proper income tax with held. Again, I am not certain it is illegal to pay someone for not working!

I would like to see one example of where a business owner got in trouble for what pretty much amounts to over paying your employees. Keep in mind the "employed" relative's pay was properly taxed and proper income tax with held. Again, I am not certain it is illegal to pay someone for not working!

Except that paying people that aren't working there as a way to avoid tax liability is a crime. You might be looking at this from the wrong end. The evasion scheme is that employee pay can be deducted from a businesses tax load. Paying "fake employees" is a way to evade paying taxes the business rightly owes by shuffling tax liability to employee expense for work that was never performed.

That's tax evasion and it is a crime you can go to jail for.

It's not illegal to pay someone for not working, but paying someone for not working as a way to evade taxes the business rightly owes is tax fraud.

I hope that's helpful. That's the law. We all need to pay our fair share, so I take as dim a view of tax cheats as I do people that get together for a group dinner and slide out without paying.

Paying imaginary employees is tax evasion as it is a method to move taxable income to tax deductible expense.

Look away from the employee check and how taxation is levied against a business and it's evident.

Except that paying people that aren't working there as a way to avoid tax liability is a crime. You might be looking at this from the wrong end. The evasion scheme is that employee pay can be deducted from a businesses tax load. Paying "fake employees" is a way to evade paying taxes the business rightly owes by shuffling tax liability to employee expense for work that was never performed.

That's tax evasion and it is a crime you can go to jail for.

It's not illegal to pay someone for not working, but paying someone for not working as a way to evade taxes the business rightly owes is tax fraud.

I hope that's helpful. That's the law. We all need to pay our fair share, so I take as dim a view of tax cheats as I do people that get together for a group dinner and slide out without paying.

Paying imaginary employees is tax evasion as it is a method to move taxable income to tax deductible expense.

Look away from the employee check and how taxation is levied against a business and it's evident.

Yep! But thanks for the better explanation.

Back