• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Have you downloaded iOS 17? Post hints here.

Omega Man

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat
Staff member
Perhaps it would be good to pay attention to some of the new, and possibly unintended, features.

One new feature is a setting that may “accidentally” transfer your data….to a passerby :eek

iOS 17 name drop>

Settings>

General>

Air Drop>

Bring devices together-

Toggle off.

OM

Article in my local paper addressed that issue today. I promptly followed their (and your) advice.

Doug

Meh.

An intended feature that requires the devices to be within an inch or so of each other and can only be initiated from the sending unit. Much easier than AirDrop, which should certainly be set properly, or sending contacts via SMS, and deals only with a new contact—it won’t update or change an existing contact. And, it requires confirmation on both devices so can be canceled from the screen that pops up or by moving the devices away from each other before the transfer completes.

But, the mass media has decided it’s an OMG moment so here we are.

https://www.wired.com/story/apple-iphone-namedrop-ios17/

Best,
DeVern

Meh.

An intended feature that requires the devices to be within an inch or so of each other and can only be initiated from the sending unit. Much easier than AirDrop, which should certainly be set properly, or sending contacts via SMS, and deals only with a new contact—it won’t update or change an existing contact. And, it requires confirmation on both devices so can be canceled from the screen that pops up or by moving the devices away from each other before the transfer completes.

But, the mass media has decided it’s an OMG moment so here we are.

https://www.wired.com/story/apple-iphone-namedrop-ios17/

Best,
DeVern
My post was intended to help people out that may not have heard about this new feature and to turn it off if they wanted to.

OM

My post was intended to help people out that may not have heard about this new feature and to turn it off if they wanted to.

OM

Understood, and mine was to point out that it is a deliberate feature, not a bug or error, and that it can’t be accidentally triggered as has been misreported in virtually every branch of social media. No cause for panic…

Best,
DeVern

Related?

Right after loading IOS17 on my Ipad, my swipe to change pages among other things, quit working. Never had that happen before. Couldn’t turn off or reboot. Using my PC I eventually found something on the interweb about doing a hard restart. That fixed it.

Right after loading IOS17 on my Ipad, my swipe to change pages among other things, quit working. Never had that happen before. Couldn’t turn off or reboot. Using my PC I eventually found something on the interweb about doing a hard restart. That fixed it.

My experience has been that a computer/phone needs to be turned off on a fairly regular basis which allows the devices to reorganize their thoughts ;)
A hard reset is is something that can be done to “separate” jammed up previous work.
Great you were able to figure it out and thanks for posting another hint that can help users keep their devices running. :thumb

OM

My experience has been that a computer/phone needs to be turned off on a fairly regular basis which allows the devices to reorganize their thoughts ;)
A hard reset is is something that can be done to “separate” jammed up previous work.
Great you were able to figure it out and thanks for posting another hint that can help users keep their devices running. :thumb

OM

It's kind of like old Windows machines where the OS doesn't effectively clear apps out of memory. I have an iPad 5, which is pretty old, and it periodically runs out of memory when I've got 37 tabs, YouTube and Zoom all open at once. A reboot and not having the browser "launch all windows on restart" usually makes it happy again.

It's not often that I have to do it, thank goodness and I've never had to do it to any of my more recent phones.

Also, on OS 17, note the addition of a VPN switch in Settings, right in the main page. I believe this extends to Macs, as well as iOS devices, but haven't dug in that far. https://support.apple.com/guide/deployment/vpn-settings-overview-dep2d2adb35d/web

There's also "stand by", which will show widgets on the main screen while charging and can do a nice impersonation of an alarm clock. https://support.apple.com/guide/iphone/use-standby-iph878d77632/ios

It's a pretty robust update: https://support.apple.com/guide/iphone/whats-new-in-ios-17-iphfed2c4091/ios

Not sure if folks realize this or not, plenty of people don't seem to be aware of it, but if you're a Mac user and you're storing your photos in the Photos app, it does facial recognition with a minimum of training examples required, but it also allows you to type things like "motorcycles" or "trees" or a location like "home" or someone's name and it'll pull up the appropriate images. Works on your phone, iPad or Mac. And of course, you have all your Mac devices synced with iCloud so your photos show up on all your devices without having to move them around.

My dad was going through and organizing all his digital photos by location, people in the frame and the like. He'd spent weeks on it. He's also a Mac guy, and his stuff was all in Photos already. Once I showed him how to do location, faces and objects search via the search bar, he was done with his organization project.

I'm kind of a photo packrat, so that's probably my favorite feature.

I hope that's helpful.

It's kind of like old Windows machines where the OS doesn't effectively clear apps out of memory. I have an iPad 5, which is pretty old, and it periodically runs out of memory when I've got 37 tabs, YouTube and Zoom all open at once. A reboot and not having the browser "launch all windows on restart" usually makes it happy again.

It's not often that I have to do it, thank goodness and I've never had to do it to any of my more recent phones.

Also, on OS 17, note the addition of a VPN switch in Settings, right in the main page. I believe this extends to Macs, as well as iOS devices, but haven't dug in that far. https://support.apple.com/guide/deployment/vpn-settings-overview-dep2d2adb35d/web

There's also "stand by", which will show widgets on the main screen while charging and can do a nice impersonation of an alarm clock. https://support.apple.com/guide/iphone/use-standby-iph878d77632/ios

It's a pretty robust update: https://support.apple.com/guide/iphone/whats-new-in-ios-17-iphfed2c4091/ios

Not sure if folks realize this or not, plenty of people don't seem to be aware of it, but if you're a Mac user and you're storing your photos in the Photos app, it does facial recognition with a minimum of training examples required, but it also allows you to type things like "motorcycles" or "trees" or a location like "home" or someone's name and it'll pull up the appropriate images. Works on your phone, iPad or Mac. And of course, you have all your Mac devices synced with iCloud so your photos show up on all your devices without having to move them around.

My dad was going through and organizing all his digital photos by location, people in the frame and the like. He'd spent weeks on it. He's also a Mac guy, and his stuff was all in Photos already. Once I showed him how to do location, faces and objects search via the search bar, he was done with his organization project.

I'm kind of a photo packrat, so that's probably my favorite feature.

I hope that's helpful.
A great, helpful bit of information. :clap

The fact that this was a “robust update” is why the thread was started. :thumb

OM

IIRC, about 5 minutes after that, I bashed the crap out of one of my shins and wound up getting the medical guys to patch me up. While I was sitting there, Bob Higdon, of all people, walked up and shook my hand and told me I was doing a great job as President. I took that like getting an A on my report card. :ha

How is Helen? Robietech kinda fell apart and I lost track of her.

Back to MacOS stuff: If you're not using it, consider Handoff, which allows you to browse on your phone or tablet, but when you get close to your Mac or you've been browsing on your Mac and get your phone nearby, it'll show a little Safari icon on the task bar with the device overlaid on it. You can click on it and it'll allow you to pick up browsing on the other device exactly where you were earlier.

Data ubiquity is really a thing in the Apple ecosphere. I use a Mac at work and for personal stuff and can use a single mouse across both devices, courtesy of Mac OS, including an ability to copy paste between devices. If you're a multi machine nerd like me, that allows me to use both machines together, research on one device and the doc I'm writing on the other. The function is called "Sidecar" and it can work with your iPad or another Mac. It can keep you from having to buy an additional monitor and works just like it was attached to your Mac.

Screenshot 2023-11-30 at 11.24.34 AM.png

Have you ever encountered a sign with a web address or physical address of phone number on it and wished you could just click on it? Try this:

Try "Live OCR". You basically take a picture of any text bearing thing like a sign or a document, and it will present you with an opportunity to convert the image to text. It's helpful for signs with a web address, text you'd like to copy and use elsewhere or even pointing your phone at a camera and having it render the phone number on the sign into something you can click on to make the call.

It's super helpful and can be applied retroactively to things you've already taken a photo of.

As an example, I wanted to sign my Roku device into my Hulu account. The screen on the Roku gave me a web address, so instead of typing it in, I held my camera up, generated a link from the text, right on the image, clicked it and punched in my six character code.

I'm using it way more than I expected as a way to capture images in Notes and then use the text from them later. This has been around a couple releases, but if you're not using it on your iOS devices, give it a shot.

https://9to5mac.com/2021/09/21/how-iphone-live-text-ocr-works-in-ios-15/

Back