• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

REVIEW: Rukka Cosmic Coat + Pants & Gloves

ricochetrider

Out There Somewhere
Over the years of riding, I've slowly been moving towards more protection in my riding apparel. Simultaneously, I have found that I want to simplify my "kit", that is, eliminate excess gak. One way to fill both needs, I found, was to go with GoreTex outerwear, thus eliminating the need for a rain suit. In the process of looking at high end, GoreTex MC wear, I discovered that the overall levels of protection step,up almost exponentially- more so, perhaps in some cases than others. But all the top end gear has levels of protection not formerly worn by myself.

Several of my European friends have worn Rukka for years. They swear by it, so I started looking seriously at making The Investment. At first glance I found the prices staggering. Was I really about to spend this kind of money on a coat? (Not to mention the pants & gloves!) However, upon a full inspection and perhaps a well delivered sales pitch by the knowledgeable folks at Revzilla's "Gear Boutique", I was pretty well sold.

I'll run down the pieces one by one, and discuss the various components, materials, etc.

The Cosmic Coat:

I call this a coat because it seems massive- too much here to put in the "jacket" class. It's made of Pro level GoreTex infused Nylon. The fabric is interwoven Armacor (Kevlar) and Cordura- so it's pretty tough. The GoreTex isn't separate, isn't a laminate. It's not in the liner. I'ts in the fabric, part of the coat itself. Rukka and GoreTex have partnered up to bring you a guaranteed waterproof product. indeed, my German buddy had a slight leak in his jacket after 9 or so years heavy use. He had it inspected by Rukka and they certified The Leak, and gave him a full-price voucher (no pro-rating or partial pay-out) for a new jacket. No questions asked, beyond the 7 year GTX guarantee.

The pockets are big and roomy- the chest pockets' flaps, tho, are fixed on the outsides, so they are a little tough to access.

All flaps snap shut magnetically.

Zippers are sealed to some degree but not bulletproof, so they could possibly leak- if water got up under the flap. But it'd have to really work to get inside the pockets, as the zipper is "up" on the flap, so any water would need to work its way up and over the fold int eh flap. There's a couple waterproof inner pockets if you need to absolutely keep something dry. Some new Rukka garments now use the Gore Seal instead of a zipper. IMO it's a PIA- for one thing they have to be "lubed" regularly- the models which feature this closure device also come with a special Lube Pencil. The Cosmic has an inner zipper, then a storm flap and an outer zipper, so clambering into this thing requires a bit of a commitment!

There are all manner of adjustments on the Cosmic- two on the sleeves, at the hips, and also the belt- which snaps together magnetically.

The Cosmic comes with D3O armor- not that I've tested it but I guess it is "smart" armor; that is when impacted, it goes from flexible to inflexible- apparently instantly. Then eventually relaxes again. May I, or you, ever get to test it out.

For the removable liner, Rukka uses space-age phase change material- temperature regulating Outlast. Apparently, this product was originally developed for use in space suits. In theory, it absorbs body heat and regulates its dispersal. I've worn the Cosmic coat on "naked" bikes in 45-50 degree F weather with a t-shirt and merino wool base layer with excellent result. Not sure how far below that I'll remain comfortable, but behind a fairing, I expect I could drop another 10 degrees, add another layer and be just fine. Hot weather, however, is too much for this jacket. There are no real vents- tho you can open the zippered compartments where you access the back and shoulder armor, this has just about zero effect. Above 75 degrees F or so, you're gonna swelter in this baby. Of course, nobody is saying its a warm or hot weather coat. I believe it's sold as a three season offering- those three being fall, winter, and spring.

Rukka jackets and coats feature neoprene cuffs, and a removable neoprene collar that zips on externally. I've been using the collar and just love it. I've gotten my lightweight merino wool neck gaiter on beneath the collar already this year. Big bonus here, especially in rain.

Speaking of which- I rode some distance in chilly, 50 degree F weather recently on the PA Turnpike in conditions ranging from light rain to heavy downpours. Not only was I completely 100% bone dry, but also warm and cozy the entire time. My Rukka Apollo gloves go up under the sleeves but OBER the neoprene cuffs to totally seal out water and air- even on my K1200RS, which doesn't have any real protection for the hands and forearms.

There is only one remotely negative thing I can possibly say about the Cosmic. The Outlast liner is A: only from the waist up- so if you're only wearing jeans or something in cooler weather, you feel it below the waist. BUT B: the liner is only affixed to the outer coat body at so many points- so it tends to "ride up" your back as you scrabble your way into the coat. I've put a temporary, easy fix on by clipping the liner to the zipper for attaching pants to coat. A more industrious sort of person could install snaps, Velcro tabs, or probably darn near anything for a more permanent "fix". Of course, if you were inclined to zip the coat and pants together.... Nah, forget it, the liner would still need to be affixed to the coat all the way across.

Here's a link to the Cosmic at Revzilla- the only real retailer in the USA for Rukka.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/rukka-cosmic-jacket

SIZING:
Rukka gear is made in Finland. Therefore, their sizes are EU sizes, NOT US or UK OR BMW sizing- all of which are different from one another. For my own part, I am fortunate enough to live within a couple hours' drive from Philly. So I drove down to Revzilla to try on some Rukka stuff, in order to nail the sizing. MY Rukka Cosmic coat is EU size 50. I am about 5'- 8" tall, weighing in around 155 lbs. admittedly, it is a LITTLE bit big- the Revzilla salesperson wanted me in a size 48, but I felt it was pretty snug, and wouldn't allow for anything beyond a light or medium base layer (plus no room for *growth*!! Ha ha). I suppose the idea is that the Outlast PCM liner should suffice for any riding in any weather, but IMO it is not too much to ask, to fit a sweater or extra layer in for a long day of cold weather travel.

THE COST
is of course, one possible stop for some. The Cosmic coat retails in the USA for just over 1000 smackeroonies. Definitely not chump change. This is an investment- in safety, in comfort, and in top-shelf quality with zero compromise. I would rate the Rukka Cosmic coat at 99.99% amazing, in spite of minor shortcomings with the liner. With all the technology that went into this, it's definitely a 21st century marvel. Worth the money? To me it is. I wholeheartedly recommend Rukka in general, and the Cosmic specifically, without hesitation.

Last edited:
RUKKA Apollo Gloves

The Rukka Apollo Gloves

are a great addition to the overall "kit" for me. They got some generally positive reviews from Revzilla customers, tho some folks were unhappy with the wrist strap, which can come loose from its attachment point on the back of the hand, where you actually make the adjustment.

The Apollo is a full GoreTex leather glove. It features multiple adjustments and armored protection. The GoreTex feature is what they call the X-TRAFIT, which I guess is something new- the waterproofing is built in, more so than ever before- there's no krinkley liner to wad up, or to feel uncomfortable in- your hand just slides in & out of the glove as it would any other glove. The point with the X-TRAFIT liner is to eliminate the potential for the liner to move or "pull out"/bunch up under damp or wet conditions, as many or most other liners often do. The gloves are comfortable and efficient.

I've not giving these gloves the "all day deluge" test yet, but did ride for several hours in heavy rain along the PA Turnpike in traffic, with lots of road spray all around. My hands, well exposed on my K1200RS, stayed dry and felt great.

There is a big plate across all the knuckles, a carbon fiber slider plate on the outer portion of the lower wrist, and small plates of armor on the top section of each finger. The knuckle protection is actually an external feature - built into a pocket of sorts- I guess to optimize flexibility?

These are not real long gauntlets, but there's a cuff that will go over a lighter weight jacket, or over the inner cuff on the sleeve of the Rukka Cosmic coat.

Overall, the gloves are comfortable and will keep your hands dry, protected, and snug. They feel as good as they look. As with all Rukka gear I've ever seen, the Apollo glove has reflective elements so even your hands can be seen at night. I'd say these are more mid season or three season gloves. With zero venting, and being made of leather, they'll be hot in full summer. With no insulation, they'd leave your hands cold in winter, or possibly below, say maybe 45 degrees F.

At 199.00 (Revzilla price) these are not cheap. Yet they are not the most expensive glove Rukka offers, nor are they the least expensive glove on offer. More at the top of the middle, or the bottom of the top price range from Rukka, if that makes sense.

Sizing and fit:

My gloves are a size 10. My hands measure 8 3/4 inches around the palm, below the fingers. From the base of my palm where the wrist intersects, to the tip of my index (longest) finger measures at just about 8". In many gloves, I wear a medium size. These gloves are snug, but I could probably get a thin glove liner in there. I guess my right hand may be slightly larger than the left, because my right glove is a wee bit more snug going over the widest part of my hand. Overall comfort is outstanding. Fit n finish is as to be expected from Rukka- tho I am dismayed to report that these Apollos are made in China- a fact I discovered just now when searching for the tag with the size on it!

Again, I went to Revzilla and tried on multiple gloves from various brands before choosing these gloves in this size.

Edit: there is a squeegee on the thumb of the left hand glove.

Here is a link to the Rukka Apollo gloves on Revzilla

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/rukka-apollo-gloves

Last edited:
Perfect example of "you get what you pay for"

That's an incredible jacket. If I lived further to the north where it's cooler more often or in the NW where there is more precipitation it would make sense for me. I actually looked hard at the Rukka Armaxion Jacket, but in the end I had to come back to planet Earth and buy something that I could afford, which turned out to be the Alpinestars Valparaiso suit. There is no question that the leap from affordable MC gear to top of line full on Gore-Tex is quite a leap. But in the end one that is definitely well worth it. Congrats on the awesome gear!

Great review! What color is the Jacket? I didn't see that color option on the Revzilla site.

Thanks.

The camera belies the fact- the jacket is black actually. In the pix I guess it look blue. :scratch

IIRC the Cosmic is available in red/black as well. No hi viz on this model. But all the lighter aspects are reflective. I'll review the pants later.

One feature I forgot to mention about the jacket- there's a strap affixed to the back of the jacket. I guess the idea is that you wrap it up under you, between your legs and attach it to the front of the jacket as well- keeping it from riding up, or moving much in the event of a crash.
EU safety thing I guess. The strap is visible in the pix of the jacket lying open.

And yes- these are definitely not made for warm climes. Tho Rukka does make some lighter weight stuff, I think you lose a bit of protection there- lesser armor, lighter fabrics, etc.- but still all GoreTex, IIRC. Rukka gear often comes up for sale on the used market. I troll Ebay and ADVrider keeping an eye out. There are a several pcs on ADVr now.
The occasional deal comes up on either site- I got Cynthia a jacket for roughly half price on ebay- hardly used. She loves it. My Cosmic coat, I scored off ADVrider- somebody had it brought to them from Germany and it didn't fit! I got it for 800.00- new with tags, so saved a few bucks there.

Rukka Armaxion Pants

The Armaxion Pant is as super duty as the other high end Rukka products are. They feature the same GoreTex 3 layer pro fabric with Armacor, and the D3O armor. These do NOT have the Outlast phase change material (PCM)- instead the liner is listed as a "Thermoreflective liner with 60Gs insulation". Liner is removable. The liner in these pants zips around the waist, and also zips around about 10-11 inches or so up from the bottom of the legs. The liner pops in and out easily with little fuss.

The Revzilla website mentions vents and warmer climates in the text for Armaxion, but after a couple rides behind a fairing this summer, I hung the pants up until fall. In hot weather, these are simply too hot [for me] to wear! Maybe on a naked bike, or if traveling up to Canada or points north, but here in the Mid Atlantic region- even up into New York State... I found them uncomfortably hot in June. Behind the fairing on my R100RS, I couldn't seem to make any air flow thru these pants at all, even with al the vents fully opened. Riding this fall, tho, wearing them in temps from the high 30s to low 50s is where these pants really shine. Totally, 100% comfortable. I wore them in rain, on a chilly day- amazing.

One thing I like about these pants is the Velcro closure at the waist. You can cinch it down if you only wear a T-shirt, of T-shirt and base layer, or relax it somewhat to accommodate an extra layer. There's a Velcro strap on either side of the waist, so plenty of adjustment here.The liner doesn't seem to bunch up around my boots at all, something I was thinking might be a bit of an issue- it slides right over easily.

There is little storage space in the Armaxion pant. A single pocket, pictured here with my Iphone 5s, zips open or closed- no flap or anything to add extra protection. But, it ends up under the Cosmic coat, so with that particular combo it isn't a problem. The pants feature the ability to zip together with the jacket- I guess this is a common feature shared with all Rukka products?

The pants come with a pair suspenders attached permanently. Good thing because they have some weight to them. The D3O armor is heavy, and the Armaxion pant features armor at the knees/shins (single piece of armor) and also at the hips. One other thoughtful feature is little cloth straps inside the waist line to hang the pants on- (see above pix) so you don't have to double them over a hanger. This saves space in the closet for sure- and also probably eases wear over the long haul on the pants themselves. The pants are comfortable to wear- they move and bend easily and do not bunch up or feel weird in any position (at least no position I've found myself in). There are panels in the pinch points for ease of motion, and the ehavy dutypanels in hard wear spots.

The Armaxion pants also have a patch of non-skid cloth of some sort in the seat/crotch- this keeps you anchored firmly in position when riding. The fly is gusseted, and zips closed. No rain or wind is getting in there. The legs zip open and closed, and there's a Velcro adjustment to crank em down around your boots, if you so desire.

I bought these in a EU size 50 waist. They aren't snug, there's enough room to get a sweater or extra layer in there, and as mentioned, they can be tightened down easily. I ended up with the short version. Rukka sells their pants in Short, Regular, & Long. The Short is just a wee bit short for me, tho- they ride up just a tiny bit when seated on the bike. Not enough to allow wind or water in, but enough to be slightly annoying. To do it over again, I'd buy the Regular length.

I am about 5'-8" tall. With boots on I measure about 40" from the floor to my belt line. Normally my jeans or pants waist is a nominal 30"- anywhere from 29-32 depending on the cut of the pants, actually. I shoot for 30" as a automatic go-to, and shift up or down in size if need be. So the EU size 50 works well for me, but the Short is just a tad short when seated on the bike. I'm a little leggy, so I buy my jeans in a 32" inseam, or 30" if I can't get 32".

For my height, the Rukka Armaxion EU 50 Regular would be perfect. Overall, these pants are really pretty awesome. They are well thought out, well designed, and well built. The pants alone have so many really fantastic features, it doesn't exactly negate the cost of ownership, but you sure feel like you definitely get your hard earned dollar's worth!

Here is a link to the Rukka Armaxion Pant at Revzilla

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/rukka-armaxion-pants

Last edited:
The Wrap Up

Rukka is a great brand! There really isn't anything remotely bad to say about them. The Cosmic coat is probably the most heavy duty of their line, and they make several smaller (waist length) jackets. They even make some much lighter stuff for summer use. Their gloves, the pants, everything I have seen, both at Revzilla, and on my friends overseas, is just above and beyond anything else. The next closest thing doesn't even seem to be in the same class.
Most of their products are available in assorted colors, some are available in Hi Viz. All have reflective elements. Rukka is very safety conscious and it shows in every detail.

The Rukka stuff is heavy duty- in fact, it is also HEAVY! it takes some wearing to break it in, but then will last you for years and years. As far as I know Rukka and certainly GoreTex, stand behind their gear. Who ever came up with this stuff either definitely spends lots of time on a motorcycle, or they've had serious long term input from actual riders- I be hard pressed to come up with any ways to improve upon their gear- they truly seem to have thought of everything.

I hadn't mentioned it before, but I thought I'd add here that in both the Cosmic coat, and the Armaxion pants, the armor is easily accessible and removable. Just in case anyone is wondering.

If you care deeply about protection, maximizing technology, and wearing advanced or even cutting edge gear, and IF you can afford it- Rukka is probably for you. It certainly seems to the best that money can buy.

Last edited:
I love the hanger hooks...usually it's just the little things that make a difference. .......oh! and I like your purty 'lil pink hanger too :nyah

Back