• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

GS vs. GSA? Why did you chose one over the other?

I say this as an owner of a RT: The GSA has the best ergos for big guys. Best seat to peg distance, etc. The only reason I don't own one is that my wife wouldn't ride on one.

GS is a better small guy bike and if you're really challenged you can put a sidecar on them.

We can compare the benefits of putting a hack on a R12GS (yours) or an 1150 Adventure (mine)

:drink

The primary benefit of hacking any bike is the quality of the camping companion you can share the experience with.

18.jpg

Agreed.

642494615_M8qPv-L.jpg

I built this rig specifically for this trip. Dartmouth, MA to Portland, Oregon to drop Dillon off for his freshman year of college.

Last edited:
Perhaps, but I'll say that the GSA meets a wider range of needs. It's better in the woods and it's better on the highway.

The only place the GS is equal is in low speed stuff.

Now if you're looking for something more specific to your individual preferences then yes an RT might be a "better bike" or the standard GS too but then we're talking about fitting the bike to the individual whereas my point is that the GSA is one of the most versatile bikes made; more so than the stock GS.

You are contradicting yourself. If you are "in the woods" as you say it you are in low speed stuff and GS beats the GSA hands down in slow speed off road conditions.
I went trough BMW off-road training at the factory both on a GS and GSA in separate occasions
and it's unbelievable how cumbersome a bike becomes when it's heavier like GSA.
Also when you drop one in a mud pit it becomes real fun.
Unless you are over 6' 1" and riding trough Gobi desert GS is better choice for %90 of riders. Most of the GSA's are not being purchased because they are better bikes but because the people who buy them think they'll embark on an around the world adventure someday or they like the looks!!!!

It's a JEEP thing! (And yes, I have one of those, too.) Got my GSA because I WANTED a GSA. Is it the best? Heck, I don't know enough about all the others out there to say one way or the other. I just know I am very pleased with Heidi. At the same time, I just took Hilda out for a 200 mile run. Did I come back unhappy? Heck no! Was I smiling the whole ride? You bet! Don't try to justify, just ride!

You are contradicting yourself. If you are "in the woods" as you say it you are in low speed stuff and GS beats the GSA hands down in slow speed off road conditions.
I went trough BMW off-road training at the factory both on a GS and GSA in separate occasions
and it's unbelievable how cumbersome a bike becomes when it's heavier like GSA.
Also when you drop one in a mud pit it becomes real fun.
Unless you are over 6' 1" and riding trough Gobi desert GS is better choice for %90 of riders. Most of the GSA's are not being purchased because they are better bikes but because the people who buy them think they'll embark on an around the world adventure someday or they like the looks!!!!

Don't take this the wrong way but if you're comfortable in the woods you'll be fine with the weight and appreciate the gearing and extra suspension travel.

The weight difference is 44 lbs dry however the GSA comes with engine guards, cylinder guards, hand guards and fog lights which many GS owners add as an aftermarket item. Touratech lists their engine guards at 10.9. add in 2lbs for cylinder guards and another 5lbs for the hand guards and the actual dry weight difference is 26 lbs.

I bet the average GS owner could loose 20 by diet and exercise and then the GSA would be much lighter.

:bolt

........I bet the average GS owner could loose 20 by diet and exercise and then the GSA would be much lighter.

How very true!

I fall in that category. Starting to work out just for that, loose the weight and gain strength for better bike handling :thumb

Don't take this the wrong way but if you're comfortable in the woods you'll be fine with the weight and appreciate the gearing and extra suspension travel.

The weight difference is 44 lbs dry however the GSA comes with engine guards, cylinder guards, hand guards and fog lights which many GS owners add as an aftermarket item. Touratech lists their engine guards at 10.9. add in 2lbs for cylinder guards and another 5lbs for the hand guards and the actual dry weight difference is 26 lbs.

I bet the average GS owner could loose 20 by diet and exercise and then the GSA would be much lighter.

I'm not taking it wrong way at all. We are having a civilized discussion and it's nice to see all kinds of opinions.
However it's not all about the weight difference but also how the weight is distributed.
GSA is a lot top heavier because of the design and that alone makes a huge diffrence at slow speeds.
Don't get me wrong they are both great bikes but for %90 of the people GS would be a better option on and off the road. But then again people buy SUV's in lieu of vans just because......(fill in the blank)

How very true!

I fall in that category. Starting to work out just for that, loose the weight and gain strength for better bike handling :thumb

The winter before my first IBR I was skiing with my three boys. By the time I got them all into their classes / gear and was ready to ski myself I was completely gassed. :hungover I also read a story by George Barnes (IBR Winner) that he looses 20 or so pounds before every IBR he's done. I took this to heart and started hitting the gym. That was 30 lbs and almost 10 years ago. I still go at least 3x a week and do weights and cardio. Some days I combine them and I'll be at the gym for almost two hours. It feels great and has made a huge difference on and off the bike.

I'm not taking it wrong way at all. We are having a civilized discussion and it's nice to see all kinds of opinions.
However it's not all about the weight difference but also how the weight is distributed.
GSA is a lot top heavier because of the design and that alone makes a huge diffrence at slow speeds.
Don't get me wrong they are both great bikes but for %90 of the people GS would be a better option on and off the road. But then again people buy SUV's in lieu of vans just because......(fill in the blank)

I'll agree the GSA has a slightly higher COG but I submit that it's marginal. In the woods it's all about suspension travel, gearing and balance.

Especially suspension travel. :brow :lol

5394164_3whDp-L.jpg

I'll also agree that the GS is an "easier" bike to ride in the woods and my 450 is even easier than that but for an all around bike that will do just about anything nothing can beat the GSA.

The bike above also finished the Iron Butt Rally. It was a great bike albeit a tad under powered.

I notice a lot of people buy the GSA for the extra wind protection of the larger tank. Is there really a significant difference? I could care less about off road performance, but I would like the best bike for the freeway. I was thinking a GS with an aeroflow shield would be just as comfy as a GSA with an aeroflow shield.

I notice a lot of people buy the GSA for the extra wind protection of the larger tank. Is there really a significant difference? I could care less about off road performance, but I would like the best bike for the freeway. I was thinking a GS with an aeroflow shield would be just as comfy as a GSA with an aeroflow shield.

If you could care less about off-road performance but want wind protection, get an RT.

I suspect the answer is yes, there is a significant difference. I say that having never ridden the Adventure model. :laugh I notice a significant difference when I put tank panniers on my standard GS. Which, by the way, is another reason why the standard GS is my preference. I like using tank panniers and feel they'd be too much on the adventure model. That said, I know folks who use them on the adventure and are quite happy with the results.

1070242704_B6LeL-O.jpg

Back