• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

GS-911, Motoscan, etc.

rocinante

My first boxer twin is a R1200 GSA which I recently bought and just completed a full service. The service indicator now needs to be reset. A GS-911 can do this but I wonder which version I might need, or if there are different versions and connector cables. Then there is Wifi vs. non-wifi. And Motoscan. I am confused.

What to buy. Where to buy it. What if I just want to reset the service indicator, for now? Is there a cheap solution? What if I want additional functionality for the future?

Advise me please.

My first boxer twin is a R1200 GSA which I recently bought and just completed a full service. The service indicator now needs to be reset. A GS-911 can do this but I wonder which version I might need, or if there are different versions and connector cables. Then there is Wifi vs. non-wifi. And Motoscan. I am confused.

What to buy. Where to buy it. What if I just want to reset the service indicator, for now? Is there a cheap solution? What if I want additional functionality for the future?

Advise me please.
Yes, call Ted Porter at the Beemershop. He will fix you up with the correct GS-911.

Oops. I omitted important information. My GSA is a 2012 model year. Also, my laptop is a Mac and my phone is Android.

Advise me please.

Motoscan is an alternative to GS-911 and meets many of the needs for self-servicing, including reseting the service reminder. Motoscan works using an Android phone and an OBD MX+ interface, with the appropriate cable if necessary.

Motoscan has a couple of different versions, at different feature sets and price points.

I have both the GS-911 Wifi and Motoscan (Pro version). I use an OBDLink MX+ reader ($80), plus Motoscan Pro ($28) or Ultimate ($45), downloadable from the Google Play store...again, you have to have Android phone for Motoscan as an iOS version does not exist.

https://www.motoscan.de

I had to buy an interface cable for my old 2009 R1200RT ($15) and picked up an Android phone for cheap and never put it on a cellular service. All in I think I am at HALF the cost of my GS-911.

BUT...The interface is not as intuitive for Motoscan is not as intuitive as GS-911. I have reset the service reminders, recalibrated the shock, looked at/cleared error codes and done the ABS flush among other things.

There are several members of this forum that use Motoscan and if you like the DIY stuff and are a bit technically might want to investigate it further.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've been able to buy 3 of the older, yellow GS911's for myself and friends for less than $100 each. They don't fit waterheads, so as people get newer bikes they're unloading these. They don't work with Apple.

New '10 RT owner. When you say "older models" that work with a bike such as mine, can you explain. What would I be looking for if searching ebay? Appears ebay is flooded with Chinese clones.

The yellow one with the round connection port works up through the 2013 R1200RT and the earlier camheads. It might work for oilheads, I never tried it on one.

rocinante lives up in my part of the country, about 90 minutes north of me.

We exchanged some private messages, and then several phone calls... he's a good guy.

Before he jumps off the deep end in investing a lot of money in diagnostics gear I loaned him my OBDLink module and the proper cable for his bike ... and talked him through installation of Motoscan on his Android phone...

I have both GS-911 and Motoscan and was able to explain a lot of the differences to him. I'm letting him borrow my ODB hardware to see if that's the path he wants to take.

We both have some travel in the next couple of weeks so I'll check in with him in a while; I get up to his area quite frequently and may take my GS-911 up there as well so he can see the other solution.

Stay tuned...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rocinante lives up in my part of the country, about 90 minutes north of me.

We exchanged some private messages, and then several phone calls... he's a good guy.

Before he jumps off the deep end in investing a lot of money in diagnostics gear I loaned him my OBDLink module and the proper cable for his bike ... and talked him through installation of Motoscan on his Android phone...

I have both GS-911 and Motoscan and was able to explain a lot of the differences to him. I'm letting him borrow my ODB hardware to see if that's the path he wants to take.

We both have some travel in the next couple of weeks so I'll check in with him in a while; I get up to his area quite frequently and may take my GS-911 up there as well so he can see the other solution.

Stay tuned...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thats what this place is all about!

Back