• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

GPS questions et al Please help the Geezer

willhawks

Hi folks, Riding an 09 R 1200 RT and thinking of a GPS, HOWEVER I am not of the means to pay the price of a serviceable used car to have one. I have seen some stuff on Ebay and Amazon but the lack of useful information is staggering on both websites. I don't know if these units come with a charging chord, what mounts to use and what comes with it. Also, I was looking at an inexpensive alternative to the Motorcycle/outdoor specific units. I thought about some of the equipment from Tech Mount such as a BMW specific mount plus one of the waterproof cases. Also, I see a number of units that are reconditioned by Garmin but have no experience with same. Perhaps the most problematic issue is that not unlike a lot of other companies, Tech Mount wants you to email them with questions when all I want to do is talk with a LIVE HUMAN who can tell me what I need and make reasonable suggestions. Sorry about that, but I'm 66 years old and where I came from, we had this ancient custom called talking to each other. Any help would be MOST appreciated. Finally, I am not a world traveler and would not be out burning 2000 miles a week so I don't need much sophistication. If I can get a Garmin or other brand with an earplug chord so I can hear the directions and I can see the unit, that's about all I need. PS I would like to be able to use the unit in the car as well.

Regards,

3hawks

If anyone is willing to converse by that ancient instrument called the telephone, I will give my number or I can call you. 570-906-12269

There are really no cheap rides when it comes to GPS units for motorcycles. Any that work well are expensive from $300 up. The reason primarily is because they are waterproof and some are touch screen and work fine with motorcycle gloves, communicate via Bluetooth and will even answer your phone.

That being the case if you are on a budget, you could get a cheaper model that is designed to work in a car ( out of the rain ). Most of those will have a cable that will let you hardwire or use a cigarette lighter plug in and some will run a reasonable time on the internal battery. Put them in your plastic covered tank bag or put a plastic bag over them in case of rain. Some make this method work for them.

The motorcycle ones will communicate via Bluetooth, but I don't think the car ones do. You'll have to check that out. The old fashion way tank bag and a map still work fine, except if you are in a strange city and looking for a particular place like a motel.

The cheapest alternative I've found is use my iPhone 6+ on a Ram-mount. I've paired with my Sena unit and it gives me anything I want. There are several specific motorcycle apps available and I can just plug it into the outlet on the bike when I need to!

The cheapest alternative I've found is use my iPhone 6+ on a Ram-mount. I've paired with my Sena unit and it gives me anything I want. There are several specific motorcycle apps available and I can just plug it into the outlet on the bike when I need to!

My Garmin 660 came with both the M/C and car mount. But from what I've found searching for prices is you'll still need to shell out $200-$300. If you got an IPhone or something similar, the phone on a Ram-Mount may work best for you. You already have the unit, you know how to work it and all you need to do is buy a mount for it.

I use an old Garmin car unit that we retired from car use when we got a car with built-in navigation. I fabricated a mount for my R1150RT from a piece of 1"x 1/8" aluminum that I bought at Lowes and some RAM mount components I got from Amazon. It's sometimes a bit hard to see in direct sunlight but works well enough for my needs (I don't do 2000 mi weeks either). I haven't had it out in the rain but I carry a plastic ziplock bag to cover it if necessary. Doesn't do bluetooth but I don't think many of the car units do altho some of the newer ones might. Not a spiffy as the many-hundred-dollar motorcycle units but it works fine for me.

As others have mentioned, it's hard to be cheap when dealing with M/C GPS. Yes, you can use automotive units with waterproof boxes (I've tried them, didn't work for me). There are those who use Android tablet/phone units. This is a good place to start research: http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/ultra-rugged-kyocera-phones-gps-smartphones-my-guide.1206076/

What works for one person might not work for another. I understand you simply need a "Here is what I recommend you buy" answer. BTW, I have a 2009 R1200RT and this is my recommendation.

GPS: A Garmin 660/650/whatever (had one of these but can't remember the model number), or a BMW Nav IV/V. Or Garmin 390/590.

Mounting: I use this http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/motorcycle/8600887-888.html and this (for somewhat) security: http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/motorcycle/21041002.html The package is a bit pricey, but I ordered my parts from Nippy Normans http://www.nippynormans.com/ , the exchange rate is favorable right now and you don't pay the VAT (even with shipping it was cheaper).

What I like about the Wunderlich mount is that it's in my line-of-sight. BMW has a mount that puts the GPS between the handlebars. That mount came with my R12RT. I got rid of it because 1) to view the GPS meant taking my eyes off the road, and 2) the GPS was blocked by whatever tank bag I was using.

And one final comment. Even though I use a GPS it does not replace my paper maps. I do not consider the gps unit a miracle of navigation. The GPS does help navigating unfamiliar cities. It has also sent me down goat paths. Fortunately I saw the goats and stopped... ;)

P.S. When/If you actually purchase a GPS unit, check back in here. So far no one has mentioned the secret GPS power supply plug location. Took me a few minutes to find it on my '09 RT.

Last edited:
Android Auto / Google Maps with offline maps

*if* you have an android phone, you can use a RAM mount to mount it to the handlebars. You can even get an extension to lift it up closer to line of sight. I use my Motorola Moto G3 this way, and it works great. I bought a USB charging cable and wired it to the battery, ran the cable under the tank, and the other end is wedged in the handlebars along with a cover for weather. Then you just need a short usb cable to connect the charging cable to the phone. Also, with Google Maps, you can download maps ahead of time to "offline" storage, for times when you may not have a GPS signal (mountains, etc).

Waterproof Motorcycle USB Charger Kit https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DYE54LI/

I bought a used Garmin StreetPilot 2730 for $50. Waterproof with audio but no Bluetooth and mounted with a Ram ball mount. Does everything I need cheaply but the map is 2012 so not up to date in a few areas. Found it on the marketplace a few years ago.

While I in no way mock your frugality, shopping for a 'cheap' GPS is like settling for a LASIK provider from a third-world country - you're going to get what you paid for! :dunno

The advantages of a decently functioning GPS are HUGE. Just because a device comes with a wheelbarrow full of features doesn't mean you have to utilize all of them. I don't with my GPS, my TV remote, my dumb-phone (Galaxy S8), VCR or microwave. Use what you need - ignore the rest.

Spend enough $$$ for a new Garmin that's waterproof (car-mount included) - then perch it on a RAM mount, wire it permanently to bike power and enjoy. :thumb

Tom Tom makes some good motorcycle specific GPS units. Used ones can be had for very little online occasionally. I had one. Not as feature filled as a Garmin but will get you from A to B quite well.

I have always received excellent products and service from GPS City in Las Vegas.
You can call them and discuss your needs at: 1-866-GPS-CITY.
They have new units as well as Garmin Re-manufactured units as well as every mount configuration you can think of.
I have no affiliation with them; just a satisfied customer for years..

Good luck.

Joe

Been using Garmin GPS units since the GPS 45 and have a LOT of experience with GPS in general.
#1 - YOU have to figure out exactly what you expect to get from the GPS unit.
#2 - Are you willing to spend the time to learn how GPS and GPS software works.
#3 - You must research and compare units to see if they will do 1 and 2 above.
#3 - Do you need the GPS to provide location and route information while riding or are you willing to stop and get the solution you need.
#4 - Are you willing to pay the freight. Nuvi's are cheap and Zumo's are pricey. Zumo's have better, much better, bells and whistles.
#5 - Check out Tom Tom.
#6 - The best GPS on the planet is only as good as good and current maps.

I was able to pick up a used Garmin Zumo 550 on one of the BMW online forums for a very reasonable price. Waterproof, motorcycle mount, routing, and a few features I don't care about. I am really just interested in GPS functionality, saving trips, routing on computer and transferring routes to the GPS. I still have two 2610 GPS units that work flawlessly except that the maps are 8 years out of date. To be honest there are some firmware features on the 2610 that I still wish were available on the new Zumos, but that's not happening.

There is a great resource for inexpensive GPS repairs and refreshening especially for GPS models that Garmin has abandoned. That is Palm Doctor. I've used them to replace a touchscreen on a 2610 and replace the internal battery on the Zumo 550. Reasonable repair prices and quick turnaround.

There is a Zumo forum, much like this forum that provides great support for all the different Zumo models. Help available there on mapping software, BaseCamp and MapSource, and also advice on problems and usability of the GPS.

Back