• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

gonna be an Airhead by choice

S

SUNNYBEAR

Hi folks...

Just joined up yesterday as a birthday pres from my kids. Glad to be aboard....even though I don't have a bike....yet...

I grew up with motorcycles, my first being a HOnda SL 70 that I bought with my own money when I was 11 or so...put many miles on that thing going around in circles in the back yard. My parents have an adventurous spirit...still do in their mid and late 70's. For that I am very grateful.

Anyway they gor their first beemer in about 1974 or so..an R90/something...realized about a year later that it was a tad big and got an R75/6...that's what I learned to road drive on :)

In the sunner of '76 they strapped me and my 6 yr old brother on the beemer and a Honda 500 4 (the orange great pumpkin as we called it) and bungied on a tent and sleeping bags and proceeded to head for South Dakota from South Carolina.

We did not make it out of the driveway as all the gear fell off the rack...as a 13 year old you can only imagine what I was thinking we were in store for...so we spent the departure day repacking only to leave the next day in the pouring rain...and yes, it rained ALL day all the way to Cincinnati.

Long story short is that we all survived the trip...I have many stories to tell about it all, but my parents have always had BMW's sine then...I sold the bike I had after college...a Suzuki GS 650...and have not had a bike in about 23 years or so.

Every time I went home to visit I would always take out my parents bikes which included over the years a couple K bikes, one of the "Battle of the Legends: bikes, a couple of the dual sport bikes and some airheads here and there.

Well, my Mom always said that I was gonna inherit one of their bikes and I was just gonna have to wait. I guess she got tired of me waiting, so in the mail (today is my birthday) I get a card saying that they are going to transfer the title to teir '84 R100Rt over to me! :brad All I have to do is go and pick it up! :dance

So, here I am...

sorry for the long post, but I'm sorta excited.

cheers

yeah, new rubber and a tune up are in order, although it's in pretty good shape....started life as a Police bike...

Welcome! Thanks for sharing your story. Are your parents members as well? I'm sure you will enjoy your airhead and the forum.

Hi folks...

I grew up with motorcycles, my first being a HOnda SL 70 that I bought with my own money when I was 11 or so..

Welcome. What a coincidence, my first bike was a Honda XL 70. Very similar to the one in this photo. Also, time to join the Airheads (airheads.org) and start going to some tech days. These bikes are easy to work on, but like most mechanical things have their own quirks.

Attachments

• xl70.jpg
    xl70.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 82
yes, that is very similar...I think the XL was a 2 stroke and the SL a 4...also the one I had had mirrors and a tail light (not for very long:) )

..."and start going to some tech days. These bikes are easy to work on, but like most mechanical things have their own quirks."

yes, I want to learn to do some of the easier maintenance...I am pretty handy in that I can take most anything apart...

putting it back together, though...:scratch

Crazydrummerdude, I have been following your project now since you first started posting...congratulations! It is only now that I am capable of commenting on it...

Back