• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

gas fumes - tuperware help

ride1265

2013 R1200RT

I'm new to the RT model. I have persistent gas fumes from my bike; worse when parked overnight on the side stand and regardless of fuel level. Had the fuel pump recall done when I bought the bike about month ago. I need to check the fuel connections and vent hoses. What body panels need to come off and are there step by step instructions anywhere for their removal? I have a Haynes but it's not really a help in this exercise. Thanks

gas fumes-tuperware help

I Just found the most excellent post re: tuperware. For some reason did not come up on a search? This post is great!!

Glad you found some help. By any chance, do you have a link to the post about tupperware that was helpful? It could help someone else that might stumble into this thread.

Max BMW has/had a very good video on youtube.com showing how to remove a lot of the tupperware on 2010-13 RT's, done in their shop by one of their techs, obviously. It sure helped me in working on my 2011 RT that I bought a couple of years ago.

About a year ago I also smelled gas fumes and had to get into the fuel pump area to check it out. I found a crack in the top flange and repaired it with stainless steel components from beemerboneyard. It has not leaked since that repair, about a year ago, and my bike in in the shop today for a fuel pump replacement under the safety recall.

It seems I saw that video still on youtube within the last few months.

Good luck with it!

Max video:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/2UHU4ZQ2C_Q" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Gas fumes - Tupperware help

Thanks fellow beemeisters. I found the max bmw you tube video and I’m going to take the plunge and remove the Tupperware and just go over everything under there. The fumes persist and seem to be worst in the morning after sitting on the center stand all night. I’m keeping the tank about half full, doesn’t seem to help. No smell when riding. If the fumes turn out to be coming from the charcoal canister (orig was a ca bike) what should I do?

Thanks fellow beemeisters. I found the max bmw you tube video and I’m going to take the plunge and remove the Tupperware and just go over everything under there. The fumes persist and seem to be worst in the morning after sitting on the center stand all night. I’m keeping the tank about half full, doesn’t seem to help. No smell when riding. If the fumes turn out to be coming from the charcoal canister (orig was a ca bike) what should I do?

Make sure the gas filler cap bolts are tightened - I had the same issue and that was the cause.

You definitely need to see to that. There was a recall for a leaky gas flange on my ’06 RT. Unfortunately, before BMW could give me an appointment to fix the flange it broke and soaked my leg, and that side of the bike with gasoline. When I got home, everything smelled like gasoline. It’s dangerous enough out there without being a rolling Molotov Cocktail.

Be careful out there…

E.

Back