• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Front end failure

KM5BH

I have had a catastrophic failure of the front end on my 2001 BMW K1200LT.

I recently had the bike into the local dealer and when I got it out I ran over to Lake Charles and back and found about 2/3 of the screws in the Tupperware loose. I tightened them after adding a little thread lock to them. I went ahead and went to Florida for the IBA and MTF Ride In at Daytona Party during Bike Week.

My most recent problem was much worse. In fact it scared the hell out of me and I don't scare easy. The ball joint that is connected to the bridge assembly above the front wheel came loose. And it looks like it was loose for a while.

I was inclined to place the blame on the dealer. They had just finished replacing the upper and lower fork seals and I don't know if the ball joint was removed or loosened to do this. It looks like this has happened over a period of time. I put over 3600 miles on the motorcycle in the last three weeks since the service. I mention this as I look at the amount of debris collected in the threads where the ball joint has came loose.

The joint broke loose as I was bumping the bike off the center stand. When the front tire hit the floor, the bike collapsed to the left, landing on the J-Peg and bending the hell out of it. I thought at first I had did something stupid, and got the rest of the way off the bike and tried to stand it up. I t was immediately apparent that there was something wrong. The bike felt heavier, if that is possible, and the angle of the bike was all wrong. I struggled to upright the bike and when I got it up on the side stand I could see that the front end was lower than the back. I tried to get it up on the center stand and couldn't do it by myself. I had the ladies of the house help me get it up on the center stand and I got down on my knees to look at the front end.

At first I couldn't see what was wrong so I grabbed a flashlight and took another look. The pictures that I'll attach will show what I have found. As you will see the ball joint assembly has failed, not in the ball joint where you would expect it to, but the assembly has backed completely out or was never fully installed. I believe that if this had failed while out on the interstate, a fatality would have occurred.

I got the word from the dealer, Gulf Coast BMW in South Houston, TX, on this at about 6 pm Thursday April 6, 2006. According to the service manager, A.J. Laird, a BMW representative has looked at the bike and said that the ball joint backed out over time and that it is not their responsibility and that they can offer no assistance with the repairs. This would be a critical design flaw. I believe that this ball joint should never back out on its own. This is what I was told by the dealer's service manager. There is nothing in the maintenance schedules that would lead the rider to inspect these parts and the rider would have no warning that a catastrophic failure was imminent. There is nothing to prevent this from occurring, but if it had been installed and had proper torque applied during installation, it shouldnÔÇÖt ever come to the position that an incident like this could occur.

I would advise everyone who owns a K1200LT to check this ball joint. There is no way that this should ever just back out. I really don't believe that is possible. I personally believe that this is a faulty installation. Maybe the faulty installation was by BMW, maybe by a service man, but a faulty installation at any rate. And since the BMW dealer serviced the front end after inspection less than one month ago, the technician in charge of the service should have caught the problem.

Lewis Stephens

Attachments

• Ball-Joint-Loose-Web.jpg
    Ball-Joint-Loose-Web.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 322
How many miles does the bike have?

Did the dealer offer a plausible theory of how the ball joint could unscrew itself?

From the photo it looks like it has been that way for a long time.

That's an amazing picture. I RAN down to check my bike....the threaded portion looks fully seated. I can't imagine why yours came unthreaded, unless there was some thread locker omitted at assembly?

The dealer should have noticed something during replacement of the fork seals. I have to do a set of seals on mine, and the easiest way to do the job in the past has been to remove the fender and wheel, and drop the lower fork leg by unbolting it at the fork brace. Doing it this way has the mechanic looking right at that ball joint.

Wow!

This is amazing and first one i've ever seen come apart on any model beemer. I'm kind a shocked,even out of warrantee, that BMW has no interest in helping fix this! Maybe at least parts? Some things are not meant to fail and this is one, I would think. It is not a regular service point on the bike, I've been told. I'll check mine right away; KLT here,too. Thanx

Polarbear said:
I'm kind a shocked,even out of warrantee, that BMW has no interest in helping fix this!

Not me, nor surprised one bit. This is "business as usual" for BMW. Warranty guys, like insurance adjustors, are trained to say "no" the first few times. Just keep hammering, threaten lawsuits, and I'm sure BMW will eventually cover it.
1) THERE'S NO WAY IN HELL THAT SHOULD COME LOOSE
2) ANY MECHANIC WORTH A PLUG NICKEL SHOULD HAVE SEEN IT WHEN HE DID YOUR FORKS.
YMMV

Dealer Response

At first the dealer acted horrified and seemed to want to help. After talking to BMW, there was a definite change in attitude. After ten days they are just getting to it and can only tell me that the parts list is already over $1,000.00.

They have suggested I contact my insurance agent.

Lewis :banghead

Keep banging away!!

That's the reason I posted it here. I can't get them to acknowledge an email. I would like them to at least talk to me. Then I can go farther. NHSTA maybe, then who knows. I know I am looking at about $2k in charges for something that should never happen. I'll have it repaired and continue the fight.
The insurance idea is probably out. It started with a mechanical failure and I don't know if they will cover it.

Lewis

For once, if the dealer said "I've never heard of that before" I'd believe him. Those ball joints are supposed to be installed with thread locker at some awful high torque spec.

What puzzles me is that the female threads in the paralever arm look to be covered with road grime in the picture. Maybe that is just the lighting, but those don't look like shiney threads a part just came out of.

Does it look like the top thread or two are fresh - like it was almost unscrewed and the jolt popped it out?

PGlaves said:
For once, if the dealer said "I've never heard of that before" I'd believe him. Those ball joints are supposed to be installed with thread locker at some awful high torque spec.

What puzzles me is that the female threads in the paralever arm look to be covered with road grime in the picture. Maybe that is just the lighting, but those don't look like shiney threads a part just came out of.

Does it look like the top thread or two are fresh - like it was almost unscrewed and the jolt popped it out?

That's what it looks like.
I'm kind of wanting to hear the history of the bike. Bought new, previous repairs, etc. before zeroing in on the two possibilities for a loose ball joint.

Last edited:
LewisStephens said:
At first the dealer acted horrified and seemed to want to help. After talking to BMW, there was a definite change in attitude. After ten days they are just getting to it and can only tell me that the parts list is already over $1,000.00. They have suggested I contact my insurance agent.
Once again, BMW offers a fantastic warranty (unless something actually breaks). Clearly this is your fault and will not be covered under warranty (until you get your lawyer and/or the NHTSA involved).

Thanks for the notice.
I would not hesitate to get the matter into Small Claims Court,naming BMW NA as the distributor and agent for the manufacturer;and the dealer for its failure to notice and prevent the problem.
Keep the forum posted.

PGlaves said:

Paul,

The previous owner had all his work done at the dealer on the other side of town. We have three dealers here.
Consider these pictures and think about the MTF/IBA Ride-In and then down to Key West and back to Houston. That's where I had just came from. It should have came loose on that run. I , hmmm, was making good time. I count myself lucky. And if I had gone down, it could have been fatal and it would have been just another rider that lost control.

Lewis

cjack said:
That's what it looks like.
I'm kind of wanting to hear the history of the bike. Bought new, previous repairs, etc. before zeroing in on the two possibilities for a loose ball joint.

I'm trying to get a complete history now. The bike had a previous owner who supposedly used another local dealer for all of his service.

Lewis

mileage

GSTom said:
How many miles does the bike have?

Did the dealer offer a plausible theory of how the ball joint could unscrew itself?

From the photo it looks like it has been that way for a long time.

The bike has a little over 70k on it.

The dealer has no idea how it happened. Until BMW said it just backed out. They do that don't you know?

It does look like it was that way for a long time. And I just rode in from Key West. In a hurry.

Lewis

LewisStephens said:
The bike has a little over 70k on it.

The dealer has no idea how it happened. Until BMW said it just backed out. They do that don't you know?

It does look like it was that way for a long time. And I just rode in from Key West. In a hurry.

Lewis

Lewis,
I sent you a PM.

One time installation at factory!

Saw my favorite Beemer Wrench just today and had him glance at mine(KLT) and he says this is supposed to be a one time factory installation with Locktite, permanently holding this together. He has seen the top nut come loose(under the plastic cap), but never the threaded main unit that failed on yours. You seem to have a really GOOD case here for a cheap fix, ALL on BMW! Become the squeeky wheel here and get a factory rep involved. All dealers have a "go to guy", representing BMWNA... You have to get your dealer to access this guy. Recalls have never been brought forth, regarding bikes(to my knowledge) and I'm not sure such laws apply and/or include bikes!?

This thread is over a year old so it's probably the same post you where thinking of.

Back