• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

First MOA Rally - Not what I had hoped for

jweinick

So I attended my first BMW MOA Rally in Hamburg, NY. The ride up from NJ on Thursday went well. Even met another MOA member on the way up and we rode up together. Friday was a great day. Started with a demo ride, and then I rode up to Niagara falls for a few hours. Came back to the rally site for some food and music to end the night. Then back to my hotel for the evening.

Saturday is when things went bad. Showed up early Saturday morning for the street riding course that I signed up for. I thought a little training would be a nice way to spend the morning. The K1600 was doing great until we ended up on some tight turns with gravel on the road. During a sharp right turn all was good until I hit some gravel. The bike ahead of me had his back tire slide out, but he was able to save the bike. I wasn't so lucky. One second I was enjoying the turn, the next second me and the bike were sliding on the ground.

I got up and felt pretty good except for what felt like a sprained ankle. The Motoport gear performed as expected. Didn't have as scratch on me. I was able to ride the bike about 30 miles back to the rally site. I brought the bike over to my dealer Max BMW. Max was great. He checked out the bike for me, and even test rode it. He said it was OK to ride home. I wanted to pay him something for all the work and time he put in, but he wouldn't take any money.

I put some ice on the ankle, but it just didn't feel right. Decided to ride over to an urgent care facility in Orchard Park where the X-Rays showed a broken leg.

Now the story gets interesting. And where in the end MAX BMW really saved me.

Now I am in a strip mall, with a pretty banged up bike and a cast on my leg. I do not know anyone in the area and I have no way of getting me or the bike back to the hotel, let alone back to NJ. Multiple hours on the phone with my insurance company (including towing coverage) was nothing but frustrating and useless. They were no help. They wanted to tow the bike to the nearest auto repair facility.

Remember the friend I met on the ride up to the rally on Thursday? Well I had his cell phone number. I contacted him and asked if he could let Max (of MAX BMW) know what was happening. He was able to contact Max. After several emails and some logistics, Max and his crew drove over to the urgent care location, made room in their trailer, and loaded up the bike. Max asked me how I was getting back to the hotel. I told him that I was going to call a taxi. He insisted that he take me back to the hotel. So Max loaded me and my gear into his van, and he drove me 10 miles to my hotel. Then Max and his crew even carried all my gear up to my room and helped me get settled. Again, they refused my offer to compensate them for their time and effort.

In the end, my wife came to pick my up and I made it back to NJ. Broken leg will take about 6 weeks to heal, and the bike is totaled (scratched engine case).

The real hero here was MAX BMW. Max went above and beyond what I would expect any dealer to do. He really saved me. I am a customer for life.

So I attended my first BMW MOA Rally in Hamburg, NY. The ride up from NJ on Thursday went well. Even met another MOA member on the way up and we rode up together. Friday was a great day. Started with a demo ride, and then I rode up to Niagara falls for a few hours. Came back to the rally site for some food and music to end the night. Then back to my hotel for the evening.

Saturday is when things went bad. Showed up early Saturday morning for the street riding course that I signed up for. I thought a little training would be a nice way to spend the morning. The K1600 was doing great until we ended up on some tight turns with gravel on the road. During a sharp right turn all was good until I hit some gravel. The bike ahead of me had his back tire slide out, but he was able to save the bike. I wasn't so lucky. One second I was enjoying the turn, the next second me and the bike were sliding on the ground.

I got up and felt pretty good except for what felt like a sprained ankle. The Motoport gear performed as expected. Didn't have as scratch on me. I was able to ride the bike about 30 miles back to the rally site. I brought the bike over to my dealer Max BMW. Max was great. He checked out the bike for me, and even test rode it. He said it was OK to ride home. I wanted to pay him something for all the work and time he put in, but he wouldn't take any money.

I put some ice on the ankle, but it just didn't feel right. Decided to ride over to an urgent care facility in Orchard Park where the X-Rays showed a broken leg.

Now the story gets interesting. And where in the end MAX BMW really saved me.

Now I am in a strip mall, with a pretty banged up bike and a cast on my leg. I do not know anyone in the area and I have no way of getting me or the bike back to the hotel, let alone back to NJ. Multiple hours on the phone with my insurance company (including towing coverage) was nothing but frustrating and useless. They were no help. They wanted to tow the bike to the nearest auto repair facility.

Remember the friend I met on the ride up to the rally on Thursday? Well I had his cell phone number. I contacted him and asked if he could let Max (of MAX BMW) know what was happening. He was able to contact Max. After several emails and some logistics, Max and his crew drove over to the urgent care location, made room in their trailer, and loaded up the bike. Max asked me how I was getting back to the hotel. I told him that I was going to call a taxi. He insisted that he take me back to the hotel. So Max loaded me and my gear into his van, and he drove me 10 miles to my hotel. Then Max and his crew even carried all my gear up to my room and helped me get settled. Again, they refused my offer to compensate them for their time and effort.

In the end, my wife came to pick my up and I made it back to NJ. Broken leg will take about 6 weeks to heal, and the bike is totaled (scratched engine case).

The real hero here was MAX BMW. Max went above and beyond what I would expect any dealer to do. He really saved me. I am a customer for life.

I'm sorry to hear about the broken leg, but how can a ride-able bike be written off as "totaled"?

Prayers for your swift recovery.

That is not the way anyone wants to end up on a trip. I am glad you found support in the community and were able to get things buttoned up and get home. Hooray for Max and your wife, sorry about your bike. I hope your insurance will make things easier for you then it first appears. Welcome to the club and you have a story to tell with your 1 patch you may have gotten for your first rally.

Best regards,

Chris

I'm sorry to hear about the broken leg, but how can a ride-able bike be written off as "totaled"?

A vehicle will be totaled if the value of returning it to the condition it was prior to the accident exceeds x percent of the value of the bike. The value of x will vary from state to state. It has nothing to do with it being rideable.

The engine case is scuffed. (And I had the BMW engine guards - but I went down pretty good). My understanding is that the engine case cannot be repaired, so it would require engine replacement. I hear this is a fairly common issue with the K bikes.

The engine case is scuffed. (And I had the BMW engine guards - but I went down pretty good). My understanding is that the engine case cannot be repaired, so it would require engine replacement. I hear this is a fairly common issue with the K bikes.

OK, but the engine case didn't lose integrity? It still holds oil and water/air can't enter any wear or electronic/electrical parts?

I'm not criticizing you, the owner/policy holder.......but baffled by the current definitions which seem to take serviceable equipment out of service.

Last edited:
It's nice to see and hear! That there are still a few good hearted people out there. Thanks Max BMW, for
Not leaving a fellow rider behind... Very impressive story! Thanks for sharing..

If MAX determines the bike to be sound and roadworthy, heal that leg, get back on the bike and ride. And tell the story when you get the chance because it sounds like a good one.

You still had a great rally-hope you return for more

Its just plastic and metal.....your leg will heal, your head, neck, back etc fared well and you had great people helping you, MAX, wife and friend. Best wishes!

Good to hear stories of real support when it is needed. I've always had good interactions with Max BMW and they have help me as well (not in anywhere near the same situation, but their help was much appreciated). They're a good crew and having been to 3 of their 4 stores and gotten to interact with many of their crew, they provide a service that is getting harder and harder to find unfortunately.

Sorry to hear about the leg and bike, but I'd talk to my insurance company to find out what the by-out on the bike would be. I've had two vehicles written-off over the years that I bought back and put back on the road for a very reasonable investment. Just a thought, if you are so inclined.

Congratulations on your first rally!!

What a story to tell regarding your first rally. Hopefully you can see the value in the community in which you were involved. The members you encountered and Max are great stewards of our sport and the BMW MOA organization.

Regrettably, I too lost my bike at this rally. Just 30km from rally site, sipping a cold drink in a C-Store we watched helplessly as some 'tard backed over my pristine K1200GT and pushed it several feet across the asphalt. I was 8 car lengths away from any type of traffic and parked in what normally would have been considered a safe spot next to a series of propane tanks! We can only imagine if this years Darwin Award winner had hit the propane tanks and not my bike first to get his attention. My bike was considered totaled due to fact the replacement panels and repairs exceed the blue book value. The handle bars and ends are bent, but there was no structural frame damage. I lost a pound of paint on both side cases, both side panels and the nose panel. My helmet was launched, and the mirrors and windshield were scratched. I was lucky I was not on the bike due to his speed and lack of attention. My bike probably saved all of us from even a worse disaster! Ah, Karma!!

I hope you heal fast, find a new bike, get back in the saddle and again enjoy our wonderful sport. Hope to see you on the road sometime!!

Cheers,

Mark Sanford

My bike probably saved all of us from even a worse disaster!

That is a good way to count your blessings. So sorry it happened to you but as you point out it could have been much worse. Hoping you get a good settlement and another bike you like even more.

This year was my first rally as well, unable to ride to the rally as I was still in a cast from a broken arm. I must say, I'm very impressed with the OP's hard core approach to riding. Way to "rider up". Your story seems to clearly articulate why motorcycle riders need to be part of a community of other motorcycle riders. It also demonstrates, I think, the value of a healthy relationship between the MOA and the Dealership network. Having more and more dealerships going above and beyond for MOA members is one of the non-tangible benefits of membership one can't put a price on. MAX BMW is an awesome network of dealers and serve as a respectable role model for other dealerships to follow.

I'm really glad this situation worked out for you all things considered. I hope your up and riding again soon. (I'm kinda violating doctors orders myself, after national I took my cast off and started riding. I'm hoping my hand doctor will be impressed? when I show up on the bike for my next appointment.) Thanks for sharing. A good take away for me, is to get a contact number for the dealership at national that has parts and services on site, as they would probably be the go-to resource for emergency repairs, bike hauling etc.

So did you learn to take a corner filled with gravel with the tires in the normal car tire tracks? I prefer the inside track, near the fog line, if any vehicle had traveled since the gravel was kicked up, it will be much cleaner.

Heal fast!

You surprised me.

From the headline of your original post I was expecting a negative review of the Hamburg Rally. Sorry for your troubles but happy you were treated so well. Someone will buy your totaled bike for a song from the insurance co. and have a scratched but usable ride.

Thanks for all the kind words everyone.

I think I will heal up, and then think of the next bike.

As much as I loved the K1600GT, I'm thinking of an R1200RT for the next one. Probably pick up a 2017 model over the winter for next season.

Thanks for all the kind words everyone.

I think I will heal up, and then think of the next bike.

As much as I loved the K1600GT, I'm thinking of an R1200RT for the next one. Probably pick up a 2017 model over the winter for next season.

Awwww yeah.... Stepping up to the RT class. You know you'll love it.

I hope so. I just fell in love with the K1600's inline 6 engine. I hear the RT has more "character". I'll take one for a test ride and see how I like it.

I've never rode a K bike, I'm sure I would love it if I did. I sat on a K1600 when they first came out and it was just too low for me. My knees were bent almost 90*. The chief complaints I hear about the RT verses the K is the RT engine can't match the smoothness, low end torque, and power of the K1600. I consider the RT's engine very smooth, I use high end torque, and the thrust to weight ratio of the RT is plent fine for my needs.

But by all accounts, the K1600GTL is a force to be reconned with... It simply doesnt fit me.

Back