• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Final Drive case failure 2005 1200GS

Towmanjim

2005 1200 GS.

Riding on a dirt road at 20 MPH, thankfully, the final drive bracket for the rear caliper broke allowing the caliper to swing forward and come to rest on the wheel. This broke one spoke and bent two additional spokes as well as the rotor and caused a sudden skidding stop. BMW tells me I cannot order just the flange piece but have to order an entire final drive assembly at a cost of over $2K. Anyone else have a similar failure? Tried to find a used case to no avail.

2005 1200 GS.

Riding on a dirt road at 20 MPH, thankfully, the final drive bracket for the rear caliper broke allowing the caliper to swing forward and come to rest on the wheel. This broke one spoke and bent two additional spokes as well as the rotor and caused a sudden skidding stop. BMW tells me I cannot order just the flange piece but have to order an entire final drive assembly at a cost of over $2K. Anyone else have a similar failure? Tried to find a used case to no avail.

pics would help with assessment....maybe a very talented welder can fix you up....:)

ya might check with Beemer Boneyard for a FD too....

wyman

2005 1200 GS.

Welcome to the forum!
It may take a day or two but there will be some advice on this from the members. There have been a number of similar repairs done.
Good luck.
Gary

I have a 2005 final drive from my wrecked RT. But not sure if the RT and GS are the same or similar enough?

Gotta buy a whole FD to just get the piece you need? I guess when my headlight burns out again on my GS I will have to buy a whole bike. Thanks BMW. Another reason why my GS will be my last BMW.

Gotta buy a whole FD to just get the piece you need? I guess when my headlight burns out again on my GS I will have to buy a whole bike. Thanks BMW. Another reason why my GS will be my last BMW.

Surely you can come up with a real reason.:blah

Back