• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Extended Warranty

mxsx337

I know that the "house always wins". That being said, I think I would like to buy the peace-of-mind. I am hoping that a few of you who HAVE purchased an extended warranty would share some information with me: Where/who did you buy the warranty from? The name of the warranty company. The date of purchase. The price of the warranty. The number of years of extension. If you had occasion to use the warranty, how was the experience?

Thanks in advance for your replies, and please don't respond by telling me how extended warranties "aren't worth it" etc., etc. I'm aware of the financial risks -- I'm buying peace of mind!

It depends how you use your bike

I had a 2012 1200 GS, and used it as intended for five years. Here's my shaggy dog story.

I blew a shock that was fixed under regular warranty, not cheap. So I decided to get an extended warranty from my local dealer - with Zurich.

Fast forward a bit. A seal blew on the back end, covered under the extended warranty, the job was north of $1,200 to fix. The extended warranty covered the repair - done by an independent shop, not a dealer. I remember at the time that it was a good deal. I traded the bike with a year or so still on the warranty.

The warranty salesman will tell you that the extended warranty stays with the bike, so you can use it as a selling point should you sell your bike, the new owner gets a bit of warranty.

Technically true, but if you trade the bike, the warranty is valued like any other farkle by the dealer - no added value to you.

I now have a 2016 RT, with no extended warranty. YMMV.

Lots of discussion on this topic in the “Similar Threads” pane at the bottom of the page.

OM

Thanks for your help

Lots of discussion on this topic in the “Similar Threads” pane at the bottom of the page.

OM

I tried using "Search" and "Advanced Search" before I posted. The search(s) returned hundreds of posts that (I assume) somewhere in them contained the word "extended" and/or "warranty" but none of the several I checked were actually ABOUT an extended warranty or had any of the information I was looking for. So I posted looking for help. I'll check the "similar threads"; if they contain the information I'm looking for, I"ll be wondering why I couldn't get it by doing a search that only returned a BIG haystack that may or may not have had a needle it it somewhere?!!!

I'll check the "similar threads"; if they contain the information I'm looking for, I"ll be wondering why I couldn't get it by doing a search that only returned a BIG haystack that may or may not have had a needle it it somewhere?!!!

Because the search function on this forum is a complete disaster that doesn't work well at all. Omega Man knows a workaround that he posts from time to time but I forget what it is. He uses Google with some term that directs to this forum somehow if I remember correctly.

Thanks in advance for your replies, and please don't respond by telling me...

You're welcome. I have a 2017 R1200RT. I bought it used in 2018 with 6000 miles on it, and 2 years remaining on the warranty. The dealer, Gateway in St. Louis, offered me an extended warranty and explained that I could defer my decision until later. After riding the bike for a year, I decided that it was a keeper for the long term. So, I did what you are doing -- researched it. And then I went back to Gateway and purchased the extended warranty.

The company is RPM One. The coverage is 5 years, zero deductible, covers basically everything, and cost $1290. I have been told that I can transfer the warranty or cash in the remaining value if I sell the bike.

Cap

Because the search function on this forum is a complete disaster that doesn't work well at all. Omega Man knows a workaround that he posts from time to time but I forget what it is. He uses Google with some term that directs to this forum somehow if I remember correctly.

Not really a disaster...... computers are really not intuitive so when a word is entered, all threads with that word show up in the search.
The Tag Cloud is a good place to look for key words-

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?75890-Do-you-ever-use-the-quot-Tag-Cloud-quot

Along with the Similar Threads pane, some of the info is at hand. Kurt has the “site Google” info, which works good as well.

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?77843-Tips-on-Searching-the-MOA-Forum

OM

In Australia the BMW dealer has the option to extend the warranty on a bike that has a full service history with an authorized service agent

When I purchased my "Pre-Owned" but lightly used 2014 R1200 GS Adv in Nov 2018 with only 12K miles on it I bought an extended warranty offered by my Credit Union. The company was/is the Rt 66 Warranty company. I negotiated a little on the price, these are high-profit items for the seller, and we settled on $1,000 for a 40-month Unlimited Mileage Agreement. The agreement also includes Towing and Emergency Road Service/Out of Gas etc.

When I received the actual agreement I noticed that it covered the drive portion of a Chain Drive Motorcycle but made no mention of a driveshaft or rear gearset. I contacted the company and they advised me in writing that my driveshaft and my rear drive was covered.

Shortly thereafter I suffered a failure of the Hub Seal on the rear-drive, the repair was covered $212.

While performing my 48K service in early October I discovered a notchy U-Joint on the driveshaft. I took the shaft to my dealer who agreed that the U-joint was bad and contacted the Warranty Company. The repair, driveshaft replacement, was approved.
RT 66 Warranty paid $1577, I paid $106 in shop supplies and sales tax.

Re-reading my contract I see that the ABS system is not listed as being a covered item. My Bad, but as I'm working on "House Money" at this point I don't think I'll push the issue.

I was a Honda/Yamaha dealer for 5 years and we sold a lot of Hondacare and Yamaha Extended Service Agreements/warranties. they are a high margin item for any dealer, Margins approach and sometimes exceed 100%. Don't be afraid to negotiate with the Finance Guy.
Think about it this way: Does the Finance guy want to walk into the Sales Manager or General Manager and explain why he lost the sale of that brand new well farkled GS over the reduction in price over an extended warranty. Don't be afraid to stand up and walk, he is going to follow you.

Have purchased extended warranties on all of my BMW's. Most recently on my 2016 RT and my 2018 R1200GSW. These last 2 were from RPM 1 and were additional 5 years onto the manufacturers 3 years thereby giving me 8 years of peace of mind. I have always felt it best to if at all possible buy through your local dealer as they will be the ones dealing with any claims. I also have purchased what my dealer has suggested hence the RPM1. I trust my dealer as they have never yet steered me wrong. I have used both a few times and it was totally invisible to me. The service manager at my dealer did all the work and got the approval. These are zero deductible extended warranties so no cost whatsoever to me. I have also in the past used Zurich as well as Pinnacle both of which were good to deal with as well. But from my experience RPM1 is the only one offering 5 years ... there may be others I just have not heard of them.

Hope this helps.

I always buy extended warrantys on Motorcycles

One can negotiate extended warranty prices. If you are a high mileage driver it is a great deal. My two previous bikes were Honda Gold Wings. They had a warranty with unlimited mileage, I believe the factory covered 3 years. I added 4 additional years with unlimited mileage. On both of those bikes I had a bit over 400,000 miles on them in total, 186,000 on one till I killed a deer with it, and about 240,000 on the one I traded to the BMW guys. In each case a warranty repair was more than the cost of the motorcycle warranty.

Now I am a big believer in the theory the guys that build them know how long they will last. The BMW warranty is 3 yrs 36000 miles, I believe. If the company is not willing to do the unlimited mileage warranty that is a giant flag waving that says get extra coverage. The reason I had not given BMW serious consideration until now was the maintenance schedule, and the warranty.

Fast forward to my first purchase of a BMW. They had a bike, the RT, that I liked when compared to the present Honda offerings. Shrinking the luggage, and the fuel tank were deal killers for me. Add in the better fuel economy, and sportier performance of the BMW with longer range and removable luggage and the alternative was looking real good. The warranty was an issue and a big one. The dealer offered an 8 year warranty with unlimited mileage. Cost of the BMW with the warranty and the added options I wanted was less than a new wing and I liked the features better.

It became a very desirable deal for me. One thing to consider is the mileage you will put on the bike and the length of time you will keep it. I use my bike as my primary form of transportation year round. Most folks enjoy riding and that is the reason they buy them in the first place. I never make the excuse it is too hot, cold, wet, or snowy to be a problem. For me the extended warranty is a great value. I will generally keep vehicles for ten years or longer so a simple way to look at things is too divide the cost of the vehicle by 10 and use that as a base cost of ownership.

If you frequently trade vehicles and do not put lots of miles on the bikes an extended warranty might not be worth as much to you but still might have value for the peace of mind and knowing that a big repair is not going to hit you at a bad time. I hope this is helpful in your decision.:thumb:bikes

I have A Zurich policy on my 2014 RT. It has more than payed for itself. Front forks seals both tpms. The new owners offers RPM1. I have it on a 2016 XR. I have a problem with the electronic suspension and a leaking fork seal. While under warranty BMW replaced the right seal. RPM1 will not cover the fork seal or diagnostics into the suspension problem. The suspension problem started after some left switch gear work. The dealer, Motorcycles of Greensboro, has been less than helpful. They are now charging $160 an hour for labor and want $700-1000 to diagnose the problem. I say BS. To say the lest I am less than satisfied with RMP! and Motorcycles of Greensboro owned by the dealership in Charlotte. I will be in the market for a new RT come spring and it will not be bought or serviced by either dealership. Sad since the Greensboro locale is only a few miles from my house. This dealership is all about money and not about customer service or taking care of the customer.

I had a 2012 1200 GS, and used it as intended for five years. Here's my shaggy dog story.

I blew a shock that was fixed under regular warranty, not cheap. So I decided to get an extended warranty from my local dealer - with Zurich.

Fast forward a bit. A seal blew on the back end, covered under the extended warranty, the job was north of $1,200 to fix. The extended warranty covered the repair - done by an independent shop, not a dealer. I remember at the time that it was a good deal. I traded the bike with a year or so still on the warranty.

The warranty salesman will tell you that the extended warranty stays with the bike, so you can use it as a selling point should you sell your bike, the new owner gets a bit of warranty.

Technically true, but if you trade the bike, the warranty is valued like any other farkle by the dealer - no added value to you.

I now have a 2016 RT, with no extended warranty. YMMV.

Thank you for sharing your experience! If you have time, why didn't you get an EW on your 2016RT?

You're welcome. I have a 2017 R1200RT. I bought it used in 2018 with 6000 miles on it, and 2 years remaining on the warranty. The dealer, Gateway in St. Louis, offered me an extended warranty and explained that I could defer my decision until later. After riding the bike for a year, I decided that it was a keeper for the long term. So, I did what you are doing -- researched it. And then I went back to Gateway and purchased the extended warranty.

The company is RPM One. The coverage is 5 years, zero deductible, covers basically everything, and cost $1290. I have been told that I can transfer the warranty or cash in the remaining value if I sell the bike.

Cap

Well, thank you again. I have experience (a VERY GOOD one) with Gateway. They did $14,000.00 of repairs on my 2017 1200RT -- covered by insurance. I was on a trip following the Mississippi from beginning to end when my front wheel dropped into a hole that was supposed to be covered by metal plates in downtown St. Louis. I'm glad to hear they sell RPM one, because of my experience I would trust them and one of the other responses on this thread didn't make RPM One sound so good.

One can negotiate extended warranty prices. If you are a high mileage driver it is a great deal. My two previous bikes were Honda Gold Wings. They had a warranty with unlimited mileage, I believe the factory covered 3 years. I added 4 additional years with unlimited mileage. On both of those bikes I had a bit over 400,000 miles on them in total, 186,000 on one till I killed a deer with it, and about 240,000 on the one I traded to the BMW guys. In each case a warranty repair was more than the cost of the motorcycle warranty.

Now I am a big believer in the theory the guys that build them know how long they will last. The BMW warranty is 3 yrs 36000 miles, I believe. If the company is not willing to do the unlimited mileage warranty that is a giant flag waving that says get extra coverage. The reason I had not given BMW serious consideration until now was the maintenance schedule, and the warranty.

Fast forward to my first purchase of a BMW. They had a bike, the RT, that I liked when compared to the present Honda offerings. Shrinking the luggage, and the fuel tank were deal killers for me. Add in the better fuel economy, and sportier performance of the BMW with longer range and removable luggage and the alternative was looking real good. The warranty was an issue and a big one. The dealer offered an 8 year warranty with unlimited mileage. Cost of the BMW with the warranty and the added options I wanted was less than a new wing and I liked the features better.

It became a very desirable deal for me. One thing to consider is the mileage you will put on the bike and the length of time you will keep it. I use my bike as my primary form of transportation year round. Most folks enjoy riding and that is the reason they buy them in the first place. I never make the excuse it is too hot, cold, wet, or snowy to be a problem. For me the extended warranty is a great value. I will generally keep vehicles for ten years or longer so a simple way to look at things is too divide the cost of the vehicle by 10 and use that as a base cost of ownership.

If you frequently trade vehicles and do not put lots of miles on the bikes an extended warranty might not be worth as much to you but still might have value for the peace of mind and knowing that a big repair is not going to hit you at a bad time. I hope this is helpful in your decision.:thumb:bikes

Very helpful! Good thoughts/information and very well stated. Thanks again.

Last edited:
When I purchased my "Pre-Owned" but lightly used 2014 R1200 GS Adv in Nov 2018 with only 12K miles on it I bought an extended warranty offered by my Credit Union. The company was/is the Rt 66 Warranty company. I negotiated a little on the price, these are high-profit items for the seller, and we settled on $1,000 for a 40-month Unlimited Mileage Agreement. The agreement also includes Towing and Emergency Road Service/Out of Gas etc.

When I received the actual agreement I noticed that it covered the drive portion of a Chain Drive Motorcycle but made no mention of a driveshaft or rear gearset. I contacted the company and they advised me in writing that my driveshaft and my rear drive was covered.

Shortly thereafter I suffered a failure of the Hub Seal on the rear-drive, the repair was covered $212.

While performing my 48K service in early October I discovered a notchy U-Joint on the driveshaft. I took the shaft to my dealer who agreed that the U-joint was bad and contacted the Warranty Company. The repair, driveshaft replacement, was approved.
RT 66 Warranty paid $1577, I paid $106 in shop supplies and sales tax.

Re-reading my contract I see that the ABS system is not listed as being a covered item. My Bad, but as I'm working on "House Money" at this point I don't think I'll push the issue.

I was a Honda/Yamaha dealer for 5 years and we sold a lot of Hondacare and Yamaha Extended Service Agreements/warranties. they are a high margin item for any dealer, Margins approach and sometimes exceed 100%. Don't be afraid to negotiate with the Finance Guy.
Think about it this way: Does the Finance guy want to walk into the Sales Manager or General Manager and explain why he lost the sale of that brand new well farkled GS over the reduction in price over an extended warranty. Don't be afraid to stand up and walk, he is going to follow you.

Thank you for taking the time to give me the benefit of your knowledge and experience -- good info! I'll investigate Rt 66; I've done the historic route from beginning to end.

I have a 2016 R1200RT with 135k miles. I have the RPM One extended warranty purchased through the dealer and its has worked very well for. Both struts, multifunction switch, and both tire monitors have been replaced and covered by RPM. I had a 2007 R1200RT with 92K miles and had the Zurich extended warranty with it. One repair of the antilock brake module was over $2600.

I have RPM 1 as well bought it with my 2016 RT through my dealership. I think the price was about $1200 for 5 years 0 deductible also. I’m an average high milage guy (exceeded milage on original warranty in less than two years). I’ve had two claims, both for TPMS front and rear tire. Cost was transparent, dealership filed it, easy peasy.

If a rear drive or engine goes down, I should be covered as well. Like the OP mentioned, it’s good to have some peace of mind in an uncertain world.

Back