• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Extended Warranty

blueridgegs

My 2014 1200GSWC still has 4 months left on the 3 year warranty.
I am most likely going to purchase an extended warranty.
The local dealer in Asheville, NC does not offer them.

Any suggestions on where to look?

When I bought my 2015 R1200GSA in January 2015, I opted to buy the extended warranty for 2 years with unlimited mileage from RPMone, mainly since I typically put about 30K (miles) per year on my bikes and didn't want the factory warranty to expire in just over a year.

Thus far I haven't needed to call upon this extended warranty on my BMW. However, in late 2014 I bought the RPMone 2-year extended warranty for my 2013 Triumph Trophy SE for around $640. I had already ridden the bike for around 75K. Triumph honors warranty repairs covered by RPMone. Only four months later, the transmission on my Trophy locked up in first gear as I arrived home from a weekend trip. After it was in the shop at my dealership, the technician found bent needle bearings and various other damaged parts. The total repair cost of just over $1,800 was all covered by my RPMone warranty.

Don

Last edited:
donmoe,

Thanks for your response.

I'm starting to get info on warranties.

So far:

RPM One is $1500 for 5 years.

Zurich is $1624 for 4 years.

I'm waiting to hear from Pinnacle.

This thread is relevant to my interest. Got my warranty running out soon, so am considering my options for a 2013 GS-W.

pinacle

had it on my 09. used it for couple of things,don't remember for what,paid the $100 deductible and good to go

Just a contrary thought about extended warrantees.

I don't buy them.

Remember extended warrantees are insurance policies. Most of the time the dealer selling them get a commission for their sale. $$. The company that sells the does so so they can make profit$$ and cover administration$$ and of course last but not least, cover claim cost$$$$.

I chuse to self insure. Yep I win if there are no out of warrantee failures. $$$$$

So far with 5 BMWs over I have had NO problems other than normal wear, tires, batteries brakes so I have saved thousands $$$$$ over buying these insurance policies.

ps I keep my BMW for a min of 6 years (longest 15 years) and have between 50K and 95k miles on them so I see a lot of time and miles outside the warrantee period.

Just a contrary thought about extended warrantees.

I don't buy them.

Remember extended warrantees are insurance policies. Most of the time the dealer selling them get a commission for their sale. $$. The company that sells the does so so they can make profit$$ and cover administration$$ and of course last but not least, cover claim cost$$$$.

I chuse to self insure. Yep I win if there are no out of warrantee failures. $$$$$

So far with 5 BMWs over I have had NO problems other than normal wear, tires, batteries brakes so I have saved thousands $$$$$ over buying these insurance policies.

ps I keep my BMW for a min of 6 years (longest 15 years) and have between 50K and 95k miles on them so I see a lot of time and miles outside the warrantee period.

Depends on the model. If I was getting a K1600, I'd consider it.

If you are keeping the bike for 3-8 years I would for sure go with the extended warranty.

I purchased the RPM warranty for $1015 for 4 additional years (7 years total) with unlimited mileage.

With the bike being 2 years old now with 41K miles I am happy to ride with the peace of mind of a warranty from RPM one.

Wouldn't own a modern ('05 and newer) BMW without it being under some form of warranty/insurance/protection plan. :deal

Back